Ouch!

• Leftysrconfused

Oil prices are set by the global market. The cancellation of Keystone pipeline had zero affect on oil prices.

How about the wasted project alone. Every project around the entire world that uses resources, labor and supplies in turn increases oil, fuel and material costs.

The keystone line has precious resources and labor tied up. Stopping the completion of what was already put in absolutely will make fuel prices rise.

Wasting high demand oil pipeline components and labor doesn’t affect oil prices? How about when another line fails and the part isn’t available because it’s sitting unused.

Do you think those specialized components that are rotting away were manufactured or did they just fall from the sky?

Wasted labor is of no concern to you?

You are continually wrong on so many issues. Very typical of a professor.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Just a few things to add gas to the fire

Not all crude oil is created equal. Much of the oil from the Middle East I’d very clean and refines easily. Other deposits are dirty and is very difficult to refine. That causes oil to go to different refineries for different purposes. From what I understand the oil deposits in Alaska are very costly to refine. Same goes for deposits across Texas, Colorado,Wyoming and so on. Not all oil recovered goes directly to gas production.

What has cutting/reducing permits done to the economy?? It’s huge. Just looking at a micro part of the impact.
    Many oil companies have let go of many contract employees and staff. Reduced field staff. Reduced or eliminated drilling crews. That reduces and eliminates truckers, stone quarries, sand, rail workers, machine shops, various manufacturers for drilling equipment, piping , fittings, valves…….

That equates to thousands of jobs impacted and what they spend in their communities. Everything from groceries, clothes, rental properties, luxury items, and so on are impacted.
    Just in my tiny world of family and friends I’m blown away at how many are displaced workers. I have nephews that are out of jobs, friends that own trucking companies have drivers laid off, blower trailers parked and vacant, taking super low dollar OTR loads just to keep business in operation. A friend that owns rental properties contracted to oil companies employees has mass vacancies. This list goes on and on. Just crazy to look at the big picture of drilling and exploration and how it impacts so much

For anyone curious on what a barrel of oil produces, here is a typical breakdown

Attachments:
    1. 63C2AF61-F9AC-4E3C-B500-C2496FFB52E6.jpg

reverend
    Rhinelander, WI

I was down in Arizona hunting quail last weekend and gas was 3.80 for 87 octane

Not to pick on you directly Pat, but these are examples of our 1st world problems. We’re complaining about-the price of fuel for our snowmobiles, while on a hunting trip, etc. For us Americans, it’s easy to forget that we enjoy the lowest fuel prices of any nation outside of the middle east by far.
    I get it, it’s what we’re used to. But I try to remember that I paid close to $4/gallon twice 20 years ago headed to/from Canada on a vacation.

That said, I’d happily pay $3.199 at my local pump where I live right now…

Leftysrconfused

I’m sorry but it’s not a first world problem…the price of fuel is just a big, real problem, simple as that. Glad we can agree it’s a problem. Don’t put this problem on the consumers. Don’t forget we are a first world country and we built it to be that way!

MN Z
    Stark MN

I was in Phoenix AZ for work last week and paid $4.499 for 87 octane. I actually took a pic as I could not believe it.

Walleye Man42

Over Christmas in San Diego to see our son. I paid $4.19 and $4.31 on the military base. In San Diego, I saw gas up to $5.19 for 87 octane.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m heading to Palm Springs with Mrs., some family friends, and the little one next weekend. We rent an SUV for our time there. I’m already dreading the $4.59 fuel price listed there on our paperwork.

This is historically the time of year where gasoline prices are lowest. I would expect national averages to hit the $4 mark (+60 cents from current prices most places) once demand picks up even more in Spring and seasonal refinery changes are made.

The only potential pocketbook relief will likely come with Natural Gas and LP futures trending lower into Spring.

The situation in Eastern Europe and Russia could throw a giant curveball at any time though. If things get ugly or heavy economic sanctions come out from most of Western Europe and the U.S. towards Russia, that will instantly lower long-term supplies for oil and other energy sources, driving up prices. OPEC countries have to be salivating at that opportunity to control even a larger market share hence making things even more volatile for everyone else.

catmando
    wis

Quick search 9824 unused oil leases not being used. How many do they need?

stevenoak

It’s seems, when we show a willingness to supply our own fuel. Opec has some competition. Prices drop drastically. When we quit, and bend over. They do to us as they wish. Often when we make a threat to produce our own it pushes prices low enough. US manufacturers shut off production. I think we always need to show that willingness.
    Related or not. My local bar and grille has canceled Friday night Catfish special tonight. Their cost has doubled. Partially due to lack of work force to process. But also citing transportation costs.

Paulski
    “Ever Wonder Why There Are No Democrats On Mount Rushmore ? "

t’s seems when we show a willingness to supply our own fuel. Opec has some competition. Prices drop drastically. When we quit and bend over. They do to us as they wish. Often when we make a threat to produce our own it pushes prices low enough. US manufacturers shut off production. I think we always need to show that willingness.

Yes, I agree, this exact scenario just played out.

We also need to show a willingness to do something about our current heating costs that have skyrocketed. It has always mystified me, but our country sits on well over 200 + years worth of coal reserves, and while we can put a man on the moon, were not smart enough to figure out a way to use it cleaner for our energy needs ? Wind and solar are extremely expensive and no way they will be able to supply our country’s energy needs no matter who is telling you they will.

The more energy we supply ourselves the better off we are no question about it.

As my Dad always said, if you want to know why our so-called leaders do what they do, just follow the money, works every time.

Paulski

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Just a few things to add gas to the fire

Not all crude oil is created equal. Much of the oil from the Middle East I’d very clean and refines easily. Other deposits are dirty and is very difficult to refine. That causes oil to go to different refineries for different purposes. From what I understand the oil deposits in Alaska are very costly to refine. Same goes for deposits across Texas, Colorado,Wyoming and so on. Not all oil recovered goes directly to gas production.

What has cutting/reducing permits done to the economy?? It’s huge. Just looking at a micro part of the impact.
    Many oil companies have let go of many contract employees and staff. Reduced field staff. Reduced or eliminated drilling crews. That reduces and eliminates truckers, stone quarries, sand, rail workers, machine shops, various manufacturers for drilling equipment, piping , fittings, valves…….

That equates to thousands of jobs impacted and what they spend in their communities. Everything from groceries, clothes, rental properties, luxury items, and so on are impacted.
    Just in my tiny world of family and friends I’m blown away at how many are displaced workers. I have nephews that are out of jobs, friends that own trucking companies have drivers laid off, blower trailers parked and vacant, taking super low dollar OTR loads just to keep business in operation. A friend that owns rental properties contracted to oil companies employees has mass vacancies. This list goes on and on. Just crazy to look at the big picture of drilling and exploration and how it impacts so much

For anyone curious on what a barrel of oil produces, here is a typical breakdown

Randy, thats a very interesting chart…….i didnt know that. thanks!!!!!

glenn57
    cold spring mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stevenoak wrote:</div>
    t’s seems when we show a willingness to supply our own fuel. Opec has some competition. Prices drop drastically. When we quit and bend over. They do to us as they wish. Often when we make a threat to produce our own it pushes prices low enough. US manufacturers shut off production. I think we always need to show that willingness.

Yes, I agree, this exact scenario just played out.

We also need to show a willingness to do something about our current heating costs that have skyrocketed. It has always mystified me, but our country sits on well over 200 + years worth of coal reserves, and while we can put a man on the moon, were not smart enough to figure out a way to use it cleaner for our energy needs ? Wind and solar are extremely expensive and no way they will be able to supply our country’s energy needs no matter who is telling you they will.

The more energy we supply ourselves the better off we are no question about it.

As my Dad always said, if you want to know why our so-called leaders do what they do, just follow the money, works every time.

Paulski

Paulski, there is ways for clean coal. i worked for the Union that there bread and butter was and still is coal working in the power plants. its called carbon capture and what the union calls the clean coal initative.

ive been baffled by the fact this isnt pushed in the headlines more, but some dont want it out there. of course it doesnt help when the top dog of Xcel energy that lives on Colorado and is the biggest push to dump coal.

add to that these power plant big wigs seen this renewaable energy thing coming a long time ago. they invested piles and piles of cash starting to convert these plants to gas, there not going to waste that money and go back.

i’ve heard enough from contractors that work in these plants say we will never get rid of coal entirely, it will take some time but coal plants will come back.

anyway thats what my experience has seen!!!!

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

I used to always say to my father I wish we really knew how all this government stuff really works and he would always say No You Don’t!

Viewing 13 posts - 61 through 73 (of 73 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.