Ottertail – Detroit Lakes

• Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

Any recommendations up in the Ottertail to Detroit Lakes area for a relatively decent bite in late February?

Going to be up that way on or around Feb 23rd and might have some kids with as well, so keeping them busy whether its panfish, walleyes or pike would be nice. Don’t need any secret spots, but a few lake recommendations would be awesome, I haven’t fished up that way in about a decade so I am not sure whats decent anymore.

Thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Trev

Trev always has good, current info.

slowpoke
    Perham Mn

Buchanan, Rush, all three Leaf Lakes usually produce panfish. This year the fishing is hit and miss. Walleye have shut down on most lakes around here. Ottertail is stil giving up some. Good Luck

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

West Lost, Lida, Blanche might be worth a look

Aaron Kalberer

The walleye bite the past week has been good in Detroit Lakes for us, been pulling 3-5 fish a night from 6-8 pm and have been catching lots of perch that keep my 3 yr old busy as well. We have been fishing in 18 fow at that time window, and have had good luck in the mornings starting off in shallow water as in 12 fow and working out deeper to 26 fow as the sun gets higher with tip ups staying in 12 fow for pike.

B-man

A buddy of mine guides in the area. He’ll put you on some fish and is a great guy to hang out with.

If you’re interested at all shoot me a pm. I think he’s pretty reasonable and is also great with kids (he has three of his own).

tim hurley

B-man does your friend know Star lake at all?

B-man

B-man does your friend know Star lake at all?

I’m sure he does, it’s a little out of his core area, but I can ask him if you’d like.

tim hurley

Ask him-heck yeah(the reasonable part got my attention)
    Thanks

Thomas Brynildson
    Otter Tail County

I consistently fish Lida, Pelican, and Star for walleyes and can usually find them up to season close. For walleye on Lida, I’d recommend hitting South Lida. The north side has produced more big fish from what I’ve seen, but if you want a real shot at 10+ walleyes go to South. There’s a bigger crowd out there than most years but just fish typical structure away from people and you’ll be fine. Keep in mind this lake has a protected slot for walleyes and has an 11 inch minimum for crappies.

Star lake is another one where you should stay away from the crowds and you’ll do fine. A buddy of mine was in a large ice house community on the east side of the lake and I asked them how they’ve been doing… everyone in the area had only caught snot rockets and the occasional crappie. I fished 400 yards away and caught several walleyes, all over 17 inches. Herd mentality will definitely hurt you on these lakes.

Pelican lake has been spitting out jumbo perch during the day for me with walleyes moving in at prime time. It’s a great place to take kids as you will have action all day and have a shot at catching a few nice walters as well.

As far as crappies go, they’re a little too easy to catch at the moment. Find any lake with a basin. drill out that basin and fish when you find suspended marks. Enjoy your limit of crappies. There’s a reason people refer to it as panfish paradise up here. I’ve been doing well in up to 50 foot deep basins. Keep an eye on the bottom of your flasher, as I moved down to a bottom hugging mark and ended up pulling in a 26 inch walleye on an ultra light panfish rod in a 50 foot hole. Definitely a fun bonus fish.

This cold front has caused some lockjaw down below the ice, but I’m confident things will be back to normal once weather stabilizes which will certainly be before late February.

If you want to get off the beaten path you can easily find panfish in any of the smaller lakes such as Sauer, West Silent, Round (by star), Loon, etc. The list is never ending, just look at a map and throw a dart. I don’t know of many lakes in the area that don’t have big panfish potential… If you only find dinks, keep moving or change presentation.

tim hurley

Lokking at Star for Tullies and panfish-Should I look at other lakes in the area?
    Thanks

rjthehunter
    Brainerd

Great tips Thomas! I fish the Detroit lakes area alllll the time. It’s a great area to fish with infinite opportunities. We ought to meet up and fish together sometime! I tend to fish about 4 days a week

Thomas Brynildson
    Otter Tail County

Lokking at Star for Tullies and panfish-Should I look at other lakes in the area?
    Thanks

Star is a great option for tullies! I caught about 15 out there walleye fishing. I caught them in 22 feet on an inside turn and on a saddle. They’ll come in about halfway down the water column. They’ll usually be gone by the time you reel up to them but just dance your jig and they’ll come right in. Tough to get a bite on a minnow, but if you switch up to waxies they hit instantly. Very nice size to them as well. Target structure in front of the access on the north side of the lake that’s off of highway 108.

Great tips Thomas! I fish the Detroit lakes area alllll the time. It’s a great area to fish with infinite opportunities. We ought to meet up and fish together sometime! I tend to fish about 4 days a week

Let’s do it, shoot me a message. I fish almost daily as I am currently just fishing before doing a year long working holiday in Australia Mid-March. Heading up to LOTW on the Canadian side tomorrow morning until next Friday but will be back after that.

Savage Brewer
    Savage, MN

Thomas, thank you very much, I used to spend a fair amount of time on Lida and West Silent when I lived up in Fargo a number of years ago.

Pelican is one of those lakes I have fished maybe 6 to 8 times, but just never produced for me. But it is a thought as I might be renting a place on Pelican when up there. I have never tried it ice fishing though.

I appreciate everyones input.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.