Otter vs Eskimo

• Spencer Haugen

I’m looking at either buying a otter cabin or the Eskimo grizzly. I’m curious on the pros and cons on these two.

PETERVK

I bought the Grizzly last year and really like it. It has plenty of room for gear, set up and take down is very efficient, plenty of room for two people to fish multiple holes and tows good. Cons, heavy if you have to load in the back of a truck if space is an issue, I am fortunate I can pull it in and out of trailer. All that said, I don’t think you can go wrong with either product, have fun in your search.

Red Eye

If you are going to be pulling the sled any kind of distance behind a wheeler or snowmobile I feel Otter is your only choice. I’ve seen otter sleds go through some very rough conditions and come out the other side smiling. What ever you buy hyfax are a must to protect your investment

Charlie Waldron

I got an otter cabin last year. My dad and I fish it with space for 4 holes 2 flashers and our rod case. We do not have a sled and it is hard to pull in deep snow. Otters are almost indestructible and will last a while and in my experience eskimos have not been as reliable. I would go with otter but I might just be biased

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

If you can find a store that has them both set-up go sit in them and see what you like best. I went with the Otter Lodge for the sled quality as others have stated. Would not recommend pulling the Lodge by hand as it is heavy, but works great behind a snowmobile.
    Hyfax slides (Otter) or Tracking kits (Eskimo) will help keep the bottom of the sled from wearing.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

If you are going to be pulling the sled any kind of distance behind a wheeler or snowmobile I feel Otter is your only choice. I’ve seen otter sleds go through some very rough conditions and come out the other side smiling. What ever you buy hyfax are a must to protect your investment

I think the Grizzly has a roto molded sled just like the Otter. Would probably be just fine!

Brad Dostal

I have owned both an Otter Cabin and The Eskimo Grizzly. I currently own the Grizzly and I am happy with it. Both shacks are very heavy duty so it really just comes down to preference. I would recommend you look at both of them assembled and sit in the seats to see what is comfortable to you. The sleds on both of these are roto molded. I would recommend the Hyfax (Otter) or Tracking Kit (Eskimo). The travel cover on the Grizzly is very heavy duty as well I can’t remember if the cover for my Otter Cabin was quite as heavy duty or not? You can also get hitches for either of them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.