ONX Tips and Tricks

• dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I use ONX when I am out hunting a decent amount and it seems the more I dig into the settings I am finding some really cool features.  I am sure there are a lot of you guys that use this so figured I would start a thread on tips and tricks you use in this app.  Here are a couple cool features I have figured out and used in the past.  I just have the one state membership so I am sure there are even more features on the elite membership.

Tracker:  Pretty basic feature, but I use it all the time. I usually turn this on when I enter the woods or am out on the water duck hunting.  Helps to see what route you took and to figure out the total miles you have traveled.  Just remember to turn it off when you get back to your car.  Helps in the morning when its dark out and you can just follow your old track

Slope Angle Shading: Just found this last week.  It is under map layers> land access> slope angle.  It shades your map to show the severity of the incline.  I included a screen shot as well.

Compass Mode/Range Finder: Tools> Compass Mode> Select the range finder symbol and you can pan around and it will show you the approximate range overlaid on the satellite image.  I included a screen shot of this as well.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Couple Screen Shots. If you have some other cool tips and tricks lets hear them!

Attachments:
    1. slope-angles.jpg

2. compass.jpg

CaptainMusky

I like to use the measure distance. A year ago we were sitting and I saw 3 deer across a clear cut. Wondering how far they were I pulled up the app with the satellite overlay and measured from where we were to where they were. 330 yards. I also like the various overlays that show when there’s been forest clear cutting and what type of trees are dominant in an area. Helps to find acorns, young Aspen for grouse etc.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

I use that measure distance tool to get an estimate on how long of a walk my planned route might be when out pheasant hunting.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Don’t have Onx yet, but will be following this. I can see how it would be extremely helpful. My problem is I want both the Hunting and Offroad versions! $$$

Dan
    Southeast MN

Keep an eye out over the next few weeks, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal for a membership. Also, some purchases (previously they’ve done the binoharness) come with a free one-year membership.

CaptainMusky

Joe you can also just get a temporary free membership. I think its like 7 days. So you can try it out for a hunt or trip or whatever and see if you like it, but I guarantee you will. I havent renewed mine for this year because we didnt go deer hunting.

Jake D
    Watertown, SD

They had a promo (might still be running) if you buy an Elite membership you get a Bushnell cell cam for free.

Michael Best

A couple other key features I will use at times are the waypoint radius. I will use this when calling to deer or coyotes.

All my stand locations are way pointed and I have the ideal winds set to each location.

It always seems that the crop rotation is off by a year but if the farmer is consistent on his rotation you can get a feel for what crops are where with out having to be there.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

They are running a 30% black Friday sale currently. Might be time to pull the trigger on the hunt app.

Gitchi Gummi

the newest tip/trick I use a lot is the two finger distance measure. Before you used to need to go to map tools and then select map distance and manually drop 2 waypoints to calc the distance. Now, there is the two finger distance measure tool that works super slick – I use that feature all the time.

Reef W

Don’t have Onx yet, but will be following this. I can see how it would be extremely helpful. My problem is I want both the Hunting and Offroad versions! $$$

Hunt is great but Offroad was a pretty worthless addition when I tried it last year. I’m sure it depends on the area but I would try the demo first on that one.

dhpricco
    Twin Cities, MN

Gitchi thanks for the video. I have noticed sometimes when I use two fingers to zoom in and out it drops a distance and didn’t understand why, but now I know.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Joe Jarl wrote:</div>

Hunt is great but Offroad was a pretty worthless addition when I tried it last year. I’m sure it depends on the area but I would try the demo first on that one.

I disagree with this assessment. I use OnX Offroad almost every trip on my ATV. We ride MN, Montana, and South Dakota. I’ve found OnX Offroad to have way more trails than Polaris Ride Command. There are times that I have to resort to Avenza, but it’s not a user friendly map. You have to download maps, and they don’t seam together, so if you ride off of a map, you have to switch maps. OnX Offroad is the best I’ve found for the areas I ride, hands down.

Hoyt4
    NULL

Hunting public always has discount code. Also Camofire will have it on at least a few times a month for about have off. I always wait once my year is almost over and purchase off camofire.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Question: after downloading OnX offroad, what is the benefit to paying the subscription? The free version has all the features I want. I do pay for OnX Hunt (probably shouldn’t considering I use it a few days/ year lol). But offroad seems to be trying to compete with Polaris/ SKi doo/ etc with all the free apps for trails and as such their free version is pretty much complete.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I do pay for OnX Hunt (probably shouldn’t considering I use it a few days/ year lol).

That’s actually genius…I could analyze who is giving discounts or when the best deal is….or I could use and pay for it maybe Sept-December at most.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.