Okuma Convector 30D

• Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

Anyone use this reel for Musky Fishing? Or does anyone have a suggestion for an inexpensive reel I would be using for trolling for musky?

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I haven’t used the convector, but I have had great luck with the Okuma Cold Water line counter reels.

Chuck Melcher
    SE Wisconsin, Racine County

I use the Convector on all my trolling rods for Lake Michigan – Salmon and Trout. Then inland for walleye when that comes up. While there are better reels out there for “more” money – the Convector gets it done just fine for me – and the price is right.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

My convectors are mainly for Salmon trolling, but I use them for Musky trolling as well. They work great for the price.

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

Thanks guys… the price point is what has it for me if holds up… I was at a musky expo over the weekend and everyone was peddling $200 and up reels… WAY out of my price range. If the Convector can do the job then that is what I’m going to go with.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Clearly you haven’t been bitten by the bug yet if your still concerned about money.

Muskie fisherman spend on an entirely different level..

Example, I once spent $500 on COMPONENTS to make inline muskie spinners like bucktails.

My worst day I shredded 2 $300 reels.

Better have a good job!

Kevin Collins
    Apple Valley, MN.

LOL… river mud you are sooooooo inspiring… I”m sure the day I land my first lunker I’ll be hooked…

What is it that shreds a reel anyway? The brake?

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

What is it that shreds a reel anyway? The brake?

In muskie fishing, your thumb is the brake )

Lots of ways to break a reel muskie fishing, the two I broke in one day I shredded the gear teeth. Over working the reels trolling at 5mph with some big boy lures in the propwash.

A common way to break one is to close the bail while a 1# lure is in the air. It happens.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Kevin just go buy a 5500 or 6500 Abu Garcia reel and that will get you started. They aren’t line counters but you don’t NEED a line counter to troll, they just make it easier to duplicate what you are doing. For me for the money Garcia is hard to beat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.