NW Angle vs. Sioux Narrows Guidance

• michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

A few of us decided we’re going to knock one of these trips out next season (either early January or late March). I’ve never fished either location and would love some input.
    Ideally, we’d be able to target Lakers, Crappies and walleyes over a 3-4 day period. We value quality over quantity and love fishing remote locations/away from anyone else.
    We’ll have sleds and porty’s and probably 4-6 guys from the twin cities. What factors should we consider? What differentiates the two places?

Thanks

Ben Brettingen
    Mississippi

If you’re looking to get Lakers, you’ll have to go over to Sioux Narrows. The Angle doesn’t have fishable populations of lakers, and it’d be a long trek across to Laker country. In my opinion the Angle has better Walleye fishing than the east side but walleyes on the east side are by no means tough. It’s still LOTW after all. I’ve also had much better size on the angle side. Either way I’d go in March, January temps can be tough, and the fishing seems to almost always be rocking in March.

Pat McSharry
    Keymaster
    Saint Michael, MN

I would agree with Ben on this one. I really enjoy going to both locations. I am starting to gravitate towards only going to the Sioux Narrows area though. If you want to target Lake Trout I would definitely go to Sioux Narrows over the angle. From the angle you can go up and fish ptarmigan bay, but its not as consistent of a bite as Whitefish Bay and it’s a pretty long snowmobile ride. You can also snowmobile all the way to Whitefish Bay from the angle but that will eat up a good chunk of time and gas. The crappie bite in the angle is really good but is starting to receive a lot more angling pressure. I have found that you can do really well around Nestor Falls for Crappies if you want to do that for a day and you choose to go to Sioux Narrows. (Nestor Falls is 20 minutes away). You really cant go wrong in either place.

The main reason I prefer Sioux Narrows over the angle is that I don’t have to worry about Remote Border Crossing and calling back in to the states every night at Youngs Bay. All the best fishing is in Canada so you have to call in to Canada and then back in to the US every day since the only places to stay are in the US over there.

If you have anymore questions feel free to PM me.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.