Now on Lake Pepin

• Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Perfect. Another week or so and I can dust off the ice gear for the best bite of the season while everyone else is packing it in.

Have a good time! You Bucky, are what I would call the relatively few that know the river and lake. Hopefully we won’t have a bunch of newbies down there taking up your fishing time while you try to fish them out of the thin ice. )

jimmysiewert

And then you bring up safety concerns on another local FB web page on the dangers out there (maybe because us locals know WAY more than the weekend warriors showing up out there) and you both get chastised by anglers and blocked by the FB page owner (guess maybe afraid he might lose business?? Safety is secondary to the making of money??).
    The tracked side by side that went down in 24′ of water this past weekend was a co-worker of an “local” acquaintance. It was the gentleman’s first time – and the last time on Lake Pepin. Thank God he was able to go home to his family.
    It is frustrating – the dangers out there and many won’t listen.

isu22andy

And then you bring up safety concerns on another local FB web page on the dangers out there (maybe because us locals know WAY more than the weekend warriors showing up out there) and you both get chastised by anglers and blocked by the FB page owner (guess maybe afraid he might lose business?? Safety is secondary to the making of money??).
    The tracked side by side that went down in 24′ of water this past weekend was a co-worker of an “local” acquaintance. It was the gentleman’s first time – and the last time on Lake Pepin. Thank God he was able to go home to his family.
    It is frustrating – the dangers out there and many won’t listen.

What page ?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

And then you bring up safety concerns on another local FB web page on the dangers out there

I’m sure who “you” meant or if I’m reading it wrong… but I left a well paying position because I wasn’t going to tell fish stories to possible clients.

Send me the page too please.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Oh, I should of known. doah

gregory
    Red wing,mn

Correct many will not listen, I’ve warned many and they look at me like I’m the idiot. You would think if someone was warning you the ice is getting bad in spots they would listen. But many drive from a distance with no other means to get out there so they just roll the dice. I talked to a bunch of guys about 15 years ago on Methodist and told them they should get there vehicles off and drive down stream a little ways then off. Well needless to say the one guys truck went through that evening.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

Heads Up!

Word is a tow with 12 loads is leaving from the Quad Cities around 3/8 headed to St Paul.”

If that’s the case official ice out will be the Week of the 13th or 20th.

jimmysiewert

Well – I am going to pray for the best – but someone went through off Methodist around the corner towards. No Point and ambulance, etc. are there. Airboat called in.

When the “F” are people going to listen!!!!

jimmysiewert

Friggen aye. 3 kids just loaded into ambulance

jimmysiewert

Airboat going back out for more rescues. Kids age 8 – teenagers is what we have heard so far.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

BK I give up. I tried responding 4 separate times only to lose the post on here. The mechanics of replying or using a quote in a reply with the captcha deal on here is terrible at best.

Long story short, I don’t know the river. Nobody does. Some just have more experience with it and how fast it changes. It still humbles me from time to time and I do my best to respect the curveballs it throws.

Today I got out for 3 hours on backwaters chasing perch. We brought home a nice bucket of jumbos. They were all caught sight fishing 2.5’ of water without a shack in sight. I thought about the lake but held true to my stance on not fishing it on the weekend in crowds. I will maybe give it one more shot this week.

The increase in flow is really going to eat ice without any notice out there for many. Be safe if you head out.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster

You all might of heard about the nine people rescued from a sheet if ice near Maiden Rock on Sunday.

Long story short, I don’t know the river. Nobody does. Some just have more experience with it and how fast it changes. It still humbles me from time to time and I do my best to respect the curveballs it throws.

The increase in flow is really going to eat ice without any notice out there for many. Be safe if you head out.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

that story hit the #4 newsat 10 last night. seeing the arial footage of that was beyond scary and the fact people even went out there!!!

LabDaddy1

BK I give up. I tried responding 4 separate times only to lose the post on here. The mechanics of replying or using a quote in a reply with the captcha deal on here is terrible at best.

I hear you. There have been multiple threads lately I’ve tried repeatedly to comment on(some of which were long and/or in-depth replies) but eventually gave up. It’s quite ridiculous to be honest, not to mention annoying…

Coletrain27

I hear you. There have been multiple threads lately I’ve tried repeatedly to comment on(some of which were long and/or in-depth replies) but eventually gave up. It’s quite ridiculous to be honest, not to mention annoying…

Same here. Tried 3 times to quote and reply on something today and gave up

Viewing 17 posts - 61 through 77 (of 77 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.