Not since the late 60’s – early 70’s

• tswoboda

Teachers aren’t getting rich but 75k salary for 1540 hours isn’t exactly poverty either. Imagine working 1500 hours in a full year BC

No one bashes going to college more than people who didn’t go to college

Riverrat

Big-G I have a degree in political science, public administration. I did get a couple small scholarships that helped but the actual price per credit at the time was about 80$ at the Community College and 140 at the University. Last year my University was charging 180$ a credit, a full semester of 5 classes would be 2700. Until the fees kick in. Parking at the University I was at was 350$ per semester. Bus passes were free. My job doesn’t require a 4 year degree but I was bored at the time. It does help keep me aware of what kind of BS I have to look forward to after every legislative session though. I’m pretty sure I could make more being Bearcats shop boy too.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Teachers aren’t getting rich but 75k salary for 1540 hours isn’t exactly poverty either.

I agree. Working for 9 months, getting paid for 12, and getting every weekend, holiday, spring break, winter break, and MEA off seems pretty reasonable for 75k/year. My Father used to be a teacher for 35 years until he retired 10 years ago. He still could sub every single day of the school year if he wanted to.

Salary does tend to vary wildly based on district though.

CaptainMusky

Teachers aren’t getting rich but 75k salary for 1540 hours isn’t exactly poverty either. Imagine working 1500 hours in a full year BC

I went to college and I bash the heck out of it. I dont want my kids to make that mistake unless their career aspirations require it.
    My wife is a teacher and she gets paid handsomely. I bet she makes more than many people hear, but she also has like 87 masters degrees as continuing ed is about the only way to get a pay bump. She is about maxed out now with getting bumps for all her credits, but its astounding how much she would get bumped. This varies by district however. My buddy up on the Iron Range probably makes around half what she does.

tswoboda

Haha fair enough, Musky. I’m definitely not saying college is for everyone, but it’s a path that has worked for a lot of people. I also lump tech schools in as “college” because that’s exactly what they are

My buddy up on the Iron Range probably makes around half what she does.

And the Minneapolis school district probably makes double. That’s how most industries work

CaptainMusky

Hopefully she is not an English teacher…
    DT

Hahaha! She is special ed so she has had decades of working within the field dealing with me.

tswoboda

Hahaha! She is special ed so she has had decades of working within the field dealing with me.

^^^she earns every penny she makes plus a direct pass to heaven

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m sure that varies alot in different areas. Looked like average is 50k. And I’m not bashing a further education, just the way it’s preached to misguided youth. My bil was a family physician for Years and now is in sports medicine. His choice paid off greatly.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

^My college roommate works as a Special Ed teacher in a rural district. He makes probably ~$75k and then simultaenously owns a 4 man landscaping crew + plowing business with a nice collection of equipment. He burnt the candle at both ends getting things rolling, but now has a go-to guy he pays handsomly and the business for the most part sustains itself without him diving in more than an hour or two in the evenings.

He lives better than a LOT of people. Has every toy imagineable, makes his own hours for 3+ months of the year, and seems to never miss out on an extravagant vacation. He definitely earns it all. Some of the people in our circle that try to hammer him as an “overpaid teacher” shut up quickly when he invites them to come step in as a visitor for a day.

Education isn’t the nightmare it’s made out to be – BUT it is very relative to location, community, and aspirations. You have to be patient and willing to dive into someone else’s nightmarish life to help kids.

acarroline

The comments and long time story line about teachers compensation and working 9 months a year, limited hours, holidays and weekends off… just bothers me. It completely dismisses the amount of time outside of work that teachers put into their profession. Continuing education, grading papers, creating lesson plans, mentoring student teachers, creating props for plays, the list goes on. Sure, not every teacher does that nor does every person in any other field of work put 100% into every hour they work, and people in other fields may put in hours off the clock as well. Our teachers are taking care of kids, educating those that will come after, it doesn’t make sense to me that they are compensated at the levels most are and also have to deal with the story line of how little they work in comparison. Just doesn’t seem well thought out.

CaptainMusky

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>CaptainMusky wrote:</div>

^^^she earns every penny she makes plus a direct pass to heaven

You got that right!

CaptainMusky

The comments and long time story line about teachers compensation and working 9 months a year, limited hours, holidays and weekends off… just bothers me. It completely dismisses the amount of time outside of work that teachers put into their profession.

Yeah, I used to make fun of my wife and said WAY back in the day that she only worked 9 months a year. Well, in those 9 months she works harder than many do in a year. Its really a thankless job. Dealing with nasty kids, horrible parents. She actually wanted to adopt one of her students because his dad was in prison, mom a meth head and about to go to prison. He was a great kid just needed a chance. She had him in like Kindergarten. The first day of school each year he would go and find her and give her this huge hug. Never missed doing it until now that he is in HS. I wonder what he is up to now. Thankfully he is living with his grandparents now so that should hopefully be better for him.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The comments and long time story line about teachers compensation and working 9 months a year, limited hours, holidays and weekends off… just bothers me. It completely dismisses the amount of time outside of work that teachers put into their profession. Continuing education, grading papers, creating lesson plans, mentoring student teachers, creating props for plays, the list goes on. Sure, not every teacher does that nor does every person in any other field of work put 100% into every hour they work, and people in other fields may put in hours off the clock as well. Our teachers are taking care of kids, educating those that will come after, it doesn’t make sense to me that they are compensated at the levels most are and also have to deal with the story line of how little they work in comparison. Just doesn’t seem well thought out.

Teachers are definitely some special people, not all but most. They have and perform a very important job. Kind of my point on all that school and light pay. But if these guys are saying 80k plus a year that’s pretty good pay, the Teachers here don’t make that but they should.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

i have a granddaughter that’s a teacher at Stride Academy in the st cloud area…….she’s always asking for more materials for her class.

by the end of the year she’s pretty stressed, plus she teaches summer school for exrtra $$$. granted this is maybe her 3rd year, but……i wouldnt want it in todays world. fortunately she teaches 3rd grade.

she wants to go on to school to get a degree to teach at a college???

CaptainMusky

But if these guys are saying 80k plus a year that’s pretty good pay, the Teachers here don’t make that but they should.

My wife blows that out of the water! But, she also has multiple masters and been doing it for over 20 years.

Ripjiggen

And the plot thickens. We are now arguing over teachers salaries. jester

Hamas protest, to housing market, then teachers salaries. If we can end at FFS I say bravo.

tswoboda

And the plot thickens. We are now arguing over teachers salaries.

What did this one even start as? lol

Lol now I see the recap. I missed a whole section on the housing market?!?

CaptainMusky

Hahaha I love this site! Personally I don’t think anyone is arguing however.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Hahaha I love this site! Personally I don’t think anyone is arguing however.

^^^^^ Ya this X2 ^^^^^
    The entertainment is never ending.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Hamas protest, to housing market, then teachers salaries. If we can end at FFS I say bravo.

Damn near spit out my drink.

I went to the Univ of MN in the late 70s to early 80s. I worked for one year after high school when it was called “earn money for college” not a “skip year”. I lived at home and commuted. 1 semester of my kids’ colleges (from 2010 to 2017) cost more than my entire college education. I still have a check for one quarter of full credit tuition at $340. Books were $100-$150 additional. Was the right choice for me because my career was science-based.

Now the segue, FFS might be banned for some specific tournaments, but never for the normal fisherman. whistling

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

And the plot thickens. We are now arguing over teachers salaries. jester

Who’s arguing ? Sorry we went off topic about college on a thread that had something to do with these college kids. My bad, hope you can still enjoy your evening

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I see the U and protesters came to some sort of agreement. i read what these protesters are going after…….its on bring me the news.

i gotta ask/say……….who or what the hello gives them the right to tell some business who they cant do busines with and who they can??????

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I think many of these protests are already getting out of hand. Vandalism, disrupting class, threats of violence. Bring in the national guard and scatter the roaches. We’ve seen these fake peaceful protests escalate way too many times in recent years.

FinnyDinDin

Come on Gim, they’re just ‘mostly peaceful protests.’ It’s not like they are burning down Uptown or anything…

MX1825

In UW Madison they destroyed 2 cars. 1 of the cars belonged to a student and now she has to find another way to work. The mom wants donations to buy her daughter another car. The girl supposedly was not a protester. Wrong place wrong time.

orve4

I Have been in the medical field for over 15 years. I have worked my way up while working full time to help curve the cost of college. Started as an EMT then used that certificate to fund my way for my LPN school. Then worked overnights while attending my RN degree. Used my RN degree to work while I obtained my BSN

Viewing 30 posts - 91 through 120 (of 125 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.