North Shore Tributaries.

• chirp
    Rochester

At what time of the year do the Steelhead stop running up the Tributaries? Was up last weekend and caught some nice ones. Will be going back up the middle of May. Is that to late to find them in the rivers? Thanks in advance.

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Middle of May can still be good but it all depends on water conditions. Also, the runs will travel up the shore (towards the boarder) later in the Spring. Glad you caught some nice ones last weekend. I have heard steelhead fishing has been very good around Duluth so far this year. I am trying to plan a Canadian steelhead trip in May…Fishing can be very good up there.

chirp
    Rochester

Yeah we fished from Two Harbors to almost Grand Marais. Further north we went water was high, muddy and much colder then around Two Harbors. 35 degrees at the northern most spot.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_1487-3210.jpg

kwp
    Eden Prairie

Nice looking fish…The Stewart River?? I miss steelhead fishing. Spent many days fishing all those rivers. One thing about steelhead fishing is “timing” the runs is almost impossible. Seems like whenever you hear about good fishing its over with.

Allan Davis
    Carlton, MN

the rivers up by Grand Maris are still ripping and that usually means that the run will last a long time. I would say till end of may and remember that some fish stay in the river for a long time but they will be tough to catch. Those fish are usually caught before and tend to be very shy to eat but you can still produce. Right now until end of the month are the best days. Also don’t rule out the fall the fall can be a very special time you can get steelhead again, pinks, brookies, and kings going into the rivers.

chirp
    Rochester

Yeah I had heard about the Fall bite too. Might have to visit the Daughter again and try that out. Fished over on the Brule River in Wisconsin last Fall and caught both Steelies and Coho.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.