"Normal" river level

• monkeymaster

Hello,
    Just wanted to see if anyone that fishes old man river could tell me if the river levels last year, and so far this year, have been anywhere near normal ?
    I fish out of Guttenburg,have done so since I can remember, and the”normal” level I seem to think is around 7 to 8 foot.
    That is from my memories and looking online at the river gauge.
    However, last year and so far this year, 8 foot seems to be “low water”.
    10 foot seems to be the norm.
    I am rather new at the boat fishing thing, used to be bank only guy, and have been trying to get out there, but being a land lover I find myself looking at the river gauge and making plans for somewhere else, or no fishing at all when I see the gauge at 10 ft plus.
    I also get the Iowa fishing report and have read a lot of reports latley that say the locks are out of the water, that realy tells me to stay away, maybe I am wrong ?
    I know mother nature will do what she wants, just trying to get a feel for what is actually normal for the river, so I can be more confident to get out there.

Thanks for any replys

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

River stage for Guttenburg is 8 to 9 feet,thats normal.Pdc-McGregor-pool 10 would be simaler 8 foot.So no this year is not normal.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

higher the water this time of year the better the bite.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.