No boat…but love the river

• mndadandson

My 16 year old son and I have gone out with 2 different guides on the river in the last year.

We had a great time in November targeting Sturgeon.
    We also had a great experience targeting Walleye, Muskie and Northerns this summer with a different guide.
    Hard to believe we never discovered the river before this year, it is awesome!

I am just a working Joe and can not afford to keep hiring guides.
    We have gear for Walleye/Bass etc. and Northerns.
    We also have one Sturgeon rod all set up plus tackle, looking to assemble a 2nd cheap rod/reel for Sturgeon/Muskies.

Any thoughts for inexpensive boat rental on the river? I have seen one poster on the forum offer empty seats when he goes out. If that was an option we would pay for gas, bait, launch fee etc. Afton/Bayport is where we have fished.

Any thoughts? I am just trying to spend as much time with the boy before he moves on to collage in a couple years.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

After a few rentals you could’ve bought a decent 14′ boat motor trailer easily. There are about a thousand of those boats on CL now, keep throwing out lowball offers and one will take it eventually.

Deleted

Buy whatever you can afford. Fish don’t care if your boat is ugly or old, just be sure you get a good reliable motor.

Should be the time right now where you can find a decent 16′ aluminum fishing boat with a 25-40 hp outboard for $2500 if you have the cash.

I see them a lot. If you have 2500 to spend, look at those boats with low hrs and one owners. A lot of guys have them sitting around, no time to use them and may be asking a lot more but like the other guy said. Throw cash offers and you will find something.

If you don’t have the cash, start saving.

nhamm
    Inactive
    Robbinsdale

14′ with a 15-25hp you WILL find for $750 or less, I guarantee it.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Lotta guys on here fish the St Croix. If a boat isn’t in the cards PM some guys or just keep on this thread.

I’d also suggest working on some shore fishing on all the rivers in the metro area. Good fishing to be had all over from shore especially as the water cools.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Which guides did you hire?

Red Wing Marina’s fishing boat is being serviced at the time. I’m not sure if Beanies have fishing boat rentals anymore but you could check. Beanies on the St Croix.

Keep an eye on our trip swap forum and you can post in there that your looking for an open seat.

Rivers are amazing!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.