Next winter laker trip

• Spencer Haugen

Hi I’m debating on where to go for my next drive to laker destination the past two years I went up to ely fished snowbank burntside and got skunked.I’m tossing up the idea of doing the gunflint trail this coming winter but was curious on how the fishing is in the winter this year we will hopefully have a wheeler or sled instead of walking everywhere what is your guys thoughts and opinions

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

If you keep a close eye on superior near Duluth or even up by bayfield or Washburn, that would be my recommendation.

Of course the ice conditions are probably the most risky and it certainly doesn’t happen every year. Short drive and phenomenal fishing if the stars align.

Otherwise a trip to Sioux Narrows is also a good bet. Snowmobile is probably recommended there though. Never been there myself but I know it can be good.

There are a lot of good Lake trout lakes up the gunflint and still some nice lodging up there in the winter. Some of those lakes are smaller lakes and easier to target some of the lakers in and there are lots of them so you can move around and catch your fish. The other area I would look at would be the Grand Rapids area. They have some high fish catch rates in those lake trout lakes, you might not catch giants all the time but you will find some good keeper fish.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

“for my next drive to laker destination” What kind of a range form where???
    My go-to destination Laker paradise is Granby in Colorado. Nothing like a crisp winter morning at about 9000 feet

Attachments:
    1. DSCN3794.jpg

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

No question in my mind I would be making a call to Matt up at Crawford’s Camp and head up to the Sioux Narrows… You will not be skunked there.

Will

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

Gunflint Lake is a very productive Laker destination as well where you will not be skunked.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

No question in my mind I would be making a call to Matt up at Crawford’s Camp and head up to the Sioux Narrows… You will not be skunked there.

Will

This would be my recommendation as well. We had fantastic laker fishing up there late ice and Matt is a very good host.

michaelcfi79
    Twin Cities, MN

We’ll be there early January 2017!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.