New TV

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

My 2 year old Samsung died. Turns on fine, volume is good, picture is great but after it warms up for 15 seconds or so the picture goes black. I can see some color on the top edge but thats it.

Makes me long for the days of my 15 year old Sony Bravia that was working great when we parted company. Granted I paid ALOT more for it but it always worked.

They don’t make them like they use to. sad

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I hope you didn’t jinx me.

Just went with a Samsung AU9000 above the fireplace, and a 75” LG OLED in the basement at the new place.

The LG’s audio and operating system are noticeably better than the Samsung. Picture wise I’d say they’re very comparable though.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I bought the Samsung at Target. At the time i thought it was the best brand option there. Now i’m not so sure.

I’ll see if i can find a Sony in Virginia.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

I hear yeah, I bought a new Sony from Best Buy for family room, I thought buying it from Best Buy would be the right thing instead of target or Walmart. Paid significantly more for it, well the stupid remote won’t work, order a new Sony one same thing, ir extender same thing so I have very expensive tv with no remote which you need to do most things. I bought a app for phone which works some times when it’s connected to Wi-Fi. So dumb.

stout93
    Becker MN

Go to Costco, buy whatever brand looks best.

TVs are cheap nowadays…basically throwaway items after 5-6 years..

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

That’s America these days. Remember when there used to be TV repairmen? We used to fix things now we just replace

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>stout93 wrote:</div>

That’s America these days. Remember when there used to be TV repairmen? We used to fix things now we just replace

Couldn’t agree more. Vehicles, toys, televisions, appliances, marriages, etc.

Last year my wife’s coworker was wondering if we had room in our dumpster at the new build site for a power wheels jeep. It was 3 months old but suddenly quit working and her husband “didn’t want to tinker with it”. I told her to drop it off next to the roll off and I’d toss it in.

Long story short, the wire to the positive terminal was broken off. In 5 minutes I had it replaced and sold it on Facebook for $225 in 2 days.

Iowaboy1

A year ago we had to replace our TV, we ended up with a Vizio and I have hated it since it was turned on.
    The first thing it asked for was to be hooked up to our internet which we did, not sure why thats required before you can go any further?
    Then it wanted you to accept an agreement that it could listen to our conversations if we wanted to use the smartcast feature! What in thee heck is up with that??!
    If I understood the agreement right it was so it could learn what our preferences were, I call BS!! I dont need or want ” big brother ” tuning into me for anything!!

When the FW isnt around I scream at it with some not so nice things and I can tell you it does in fact listen!!
    It explains why my email account is blown up with so much spam!!

mudhole

For my money it is hard to beat the LG OLEDs. I did a LOT of research before getting this one, about 1 1/2 years ago. Best picture I have had on a TV ever. Just my opinion.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Pretty sad that all these things are disposable these days. I can only imagine this plastic and electronics gets buried in a landfill or dumped in the ocean.

Bought another Samsung. Hopefully I get more than 2 years out of this one.

Have it hooked up in time to watch Georgia destroy Tennessee. Old Smoke & Mirrors has a longgggg way to go to play with either of these guys.

Musky Ed

Shouldn’t have hooked the TV to the internet if you didn’t want the features the internet provided. We never have, although it does keep asking us to, now and then. We haven’t had internet available in our last two homes. Over 15 years with no internet available, except what we get off our phones and have bought a few new TV’s in that time. We have internet at our summer house, but when hooking up every spring, just click on no available internet.

Iowaboy1

Shouldn’t have hooked the TV to the internet if you didn’t want the features the internet provided. We never have, although it does keep asking us to, now and then. We haven’t had internet available in our last two homes. Over 15 years with no internet available, except what we get off our phones and have bought a few new TV’s in that time. We have internet at our summer house, but when hooking up every spring, just click on no available internet.

NO CHOICE given or I would’ve opted out of it.
    Oh well, finding out how an 88 year old African impregnated 22 tribal women was an interesting read,,,,,,, or not.

stevenoak

We bought all new appliances 6 years ago. The upright freezer and fridge both died this summer. Glad we bought the basic gas stove. Far as I know the 25-year-old appliances we gave away are still working flawlessly. There are parts ordered for the freezer we bought a month ago. Runs constant and you can hear it run from the next room. If they can’t get parts in a month, we are supposed to get a new one. Keep the crap coming China.

Musky Ed

Guess I better hope my tv’s keep running as I don’t know if I will ever see internet available by me. They put it in two main cross roads near me, about a mile and a half ea way ea way from me. Don’t see them ever coming down our road though as there is only 5 houses in 3 miles. Some locals have went to Starlink for internet, it’s great from what I hear, but at $100 plus pet month, and a $600 setup fee, I guess I’ll just keep using my phone for internet. Full disclosure, my phone service sucked so bad, I had to put in a high strength booster to make that even usable. Was worth it though, took my signal strength from 1 bar to full 5 bars.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

We bought all new appliances 6 years ago. The upright freezer and fridge both died this summer. Glad we bought the basic gas stove. Far as I know the 25-year-old appliances we gave away are still working flawlessly. There are parts ordered for the freezer we bought a month ago. Runs constant and you can hear it run from the next room. If they can’t get parts in a month, we are supposed to get a new one. Keep the crap coming China.

Not all stuff is made in China. A lot of the restaurant refrigeration I sold was imported from Korea. The skin was so thin I didn’t dare push on it. It held together long enough t get past the warranty in most cases. It was cheap and thats the only thing the customer wanted. We brought thses quality issues on ourselves.

Jeremy
    Richland County, WI

I bought a Samsung TV from walmart 12 years ago and the only issue was the stupid sound it made when power on/off. I bought a Onn Roku streaming TV when walmart had them discounted. I should put the Samsung in the garage

onestout
    Hudson, WI

My 2 year old Samsung died. Turns on fine, volume is good, picture is great but after it warms up for 15 seconds or so the picture goes black. I can see some color on the top edge but thats it.

Makes me long for the days of my 15 year old Sony Bravia that was working great when we parted company. Granted I paid ALOT more for it but it always worked.

They don’t make them like they use to. sad

Sounds like the ground may have come loose on the circuit boards, Pop the back off and just make sure the screws are tight, common Samsung issue. That may not be it but worth a try.

Ripjiggen

Have you tried a soft reset?
    Done a software update?
    Done what onestout said?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.