New to Rochester – Looking for Fishing Spots

• Brandon Haberl

Hey everyone, I just moved to Rochester from NW Iowa and I was wondering what lakes or rivers are decent fishing nearby.
    I fish for really anything so any help would be appreciated!

One

Foster arend for Trout.
    Chesterwood for Crappie,sunny,bass
    Willow creek for crapie,sunny
    Zumbro lake for everything
    45 mins away: Miss river.(redwing,lake pepin,wabasha,alma float).
    45 mins away: Clear lake in waseca MN, or Faribault,MN

pantherpop
    Kalispell, MT

Brandon, glad you found us and welcome to IDO. I’m sure someone will be able to hook you up soon.

FryDog62

A great multi species run is to rent canoes from below the dam at Lake Zumbro and float down the river. Can be excellent fishing —

Dan
    Southeast MN

Great suggestions have been made already on here and I’ll add my take on them.

A lot of the local area Rochester ponds aren’t bad but can be very crowded and over-fished. From what I’ve read Olmsted County is the only county in MN without a natural lake in it, so when people without boats want to fish they crowd up the few local ponds.

Chester Woods is a county park with a decent sized body of water and I’d recommend renting a canoe and going out on there; you can find fish where a guy would normall expect to find fish.

Otherwise like “One” said there are a batch of lakes west of you in South-Central MN. Faribault has quite a few lakes in the area.

All the above Rochester-area fishing spots also work OK for ice fishing, just tend to be overcrowded just like during summer.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Brandon, do you intend on shore fishing,using a boat or both ?

I am also from the area and know it well.

You have PM ….look for flashing flag up by your sign in name(top right)and click on it !

cboutdoors
    Rochester,MN

There are numerous trout streams less than an hour drive from Rochester that provide great fishing and the scenery is unbeatable.

Dan
    Southeast MN

I forgot to mention that there’s a regional thread for the Rochester area, it’s kind of a ghost town so feel free to post there, I like to hear from the SE MN community!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.