new terrova lift assist question

• carver
    West Metro

With the lift assist, I read on BBC that it has a tendency popping out of the notch in rough water.

Anyone experience this?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I have no experience with that but a Velcro strap should keep it from popping out during travel.

mike_utley
    Zumbrota, MN

True statement, in rough water it will lift from time to time.

carver
    West Metro

True statement, in rough water it will lift from time to time.

Ok…. is it not as bad as I’m thinking or a PITA when fishing.

munchy
    NULL

So it doesn’t latch in place like all the other Minn Kotas?

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

Like to hear more on this also. I am planning on getting one for the improved spot lock and jog feature.

blank

I’m assuming that by saying “popping out of the notch in rough water” you mean the notches on the steering mechanism at the collar along the shaft? I used the new Terrova with the lift assist all last year and don’t recall having that issue at all, but never did fish in very rough water. I think maybe once or twice the shaft did slide up a little after hitting a rough wave from a passing boat, but it went straight up and back down, not turning at all to miss-align the steering notches.

Personally, I wouldn’t let this concern deter you from the Terrova at all. I think you’d have to be fishing in some pretty rough waters for this concern to become an issue. The lift assist is nice and makes stowing very easy. IMO, this is the second best feature to the new Terrovas, after the incredible spot-lock accuracy.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

I used my new terrova all last year in waves big enough to come over the bow of the boat. I never had an issue with it popping out. I would spot lock and fan cast and not have to worry about leaving the spot even in rough water coming over the bow. It’s a non-issue if you ask me.

carver
    West Metro

I’m assuming that by saying “popping out of the notch in rough water” you mean the notches on the steering mechanism at the collar along the shaft? I used the new Terrova with the lift assist all last year and don’t recall having that issue at all, but never did fish in very rough water. I think maybe once or twice the shaft did slide up a little after hitting a rough wave from a passing boat, but it went straight up and back down, not turning at all to miss-align the steering notches.

Yes where the shaft would slide up while deployed and could have the possibility of not lining back up with the collar when coming back down.

Just trying to get a feel if this is “common occurrence”? Or a “once in a lifetime that happens every so often”……when conditions are right.

Sorry had to throw in a randy moss quote there.

I want to stay away from the Ulterra but want to figure our what is the lessor of 2 evils here. If it is going to be an issue every time I go out in 2 to 3 footers? Can it survive a Lk Mtka boat wake staying down?

blank

I agree with Jeffrey. It’s a non-issue. I don’t think it’s a common occurrence at all. If you’re weighing the negatives of this rare issue vs the rare Ulterra stow-deploy failing, the Terrova issue would be minuscule, since all you have to do is turn the motor a little bit with your hand to get it to sit back in place.

Before you mentioned this lift assist concern, I had never heard of it ever being an issue, and even after doing some googling about it myself, I think it’s a very minor issue and people are reaching for straws in thinking that the lift assist is more or a negative than a positive. And with thinking like that, I feel sorry for them.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

(Moved from Ice Fishing forum to General Discussion to get more eyes on your questions)

A little Off topic on these t-motors. I am picking one up this weekend. The new version with updated spot lock and blue tooth. The literature suggests you can deploy and stow one handed. How has that been working for you guys that have this t-motor?

-J.

blank

A little Off topic on these t-motors. I am picking one up this weekend. The new version with updated spot lock and blue tooth. The literature suggests you can deploy and stow one handed. How has that been working for you guys that have this t-motor?

-J.

You can do it one handed (one hand pull on the head, a foot pressing the release) but I actually use both hands because I think it’s easier to press the release with a hand rather than a foot, especially when stowing since I’ve already bending down next right there by grabbing the motor head. The lift assist makes a huge difference when comparing it to the older Terrovas, which were even much easier than the Powerdrives. Bottom line, the stow and deploy of the new Terrovas are quite easy.

mnfishhunt
    Brooklyn Park, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Jon Jordan wrote:</div>

-J.

You can do it one handed (one hand pull on the head, a foot pressing the release) but I actually use both hands because I think it’s easier to press the release with a hand rather than a foot, especially when stowing since I’ve already bending down next right there by grabbing the motor head. The lift assist makes a huge difference when comparing it to the older Terrovas, which were even much easier than the Powerdrives. Bottom line, the stow and deploy of the new Terrovas are quite easy.

X2

ssperch
    Hudson, WI

I’ve had the 112 Terrova for a year now and have loved it. For fishing the river the jog feature makes it easy to move up and down the faces of wingdams. The new models seem much more accurate and to hold tighter than the old. As for the lift assist, mine was great until the plastic collar broke during a cold trip.

4 BUCK
    South Dakota

Thanks for all the information. I think I will stay with the new Terrova instead of paying the extra for the Ulterra and worrying about the auto deploy having problems.

Jeffrey Trapp
    Milbank, SD

You can do it one-handed no problem. I was shocked at the difference the assist makes when you are pulling it out of the water or deploying it.

Robert M

I’ve had this issue a couple of times. Both times were in rough conditions on Lake Erie, including yesterday in 4 footers. While using the auto pilot mode , I lost steering, which creates a problem, especially when trolling, so it’s not a “non-issue”. The head pops up and out of the notch. I called Minn Kota this morning and they said to either replace the deployment spring or just remove it. The rep also said it was unique to the newer models.
    BTW, it’s just plain rude to hijack threads. The OP was looking for an answer to a legitimate question, and responses got all over the place because of it. If you want to talk about something else, please start a new thread.

Ripjiggen

Or rehash a two year old thread. whistling

Ron
    Victoria, mn

BTW, it’s just plain rude to hijack threads. The OP was looking for an answer to a legitimate question, and responses got all over the place because of it. If you want to talk about something else, please start a new thread.

Third post here and you’re getting preachy. coffee

Me too. I fish lake Michigan for salmon and just installed a terrova on my 18′ trolling boat. Although I like it so far it does pop out of the steering notch. I understand the shaft must be free enough for deployment and safety reasons such as a quick lifting of the head to get over something in the water. I wish there is something I can do to keep the shaft held down in rough water. I don’t want to lean over the bow and put a clamp on the shaft in rough water.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.