New Pontoon help and suggestions

• to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Now that we have a cabin on a lake, the wife no longer thinks rafting up and enjoying cocktails with the neighbors is good enough in our fishing boat and she wants a Pontoon like everyone else on the lake. I’ve owned fishing boats and a few cruisers in my life, but don’t know the first thing about Pontoons.

I’ll list our needs here and would appreciate any advice anyone would like to share on Brands, layout, motor size, etc.

Here’s what we need:
    Comfortable seating for up to 8 people
    Sit around and drink beer type; not a fishing seat type
    Low speed booze cruizes around the lake
    Don’t need to be able to pull skiers or tubers as I’ve got another boat that will work for that, but would like to be able to get across the lake at a decent speed (20 MPH would be OK)
    Good quality brand

It seems Bennington is a good brand that been around for a long time, but that’s about all I know…..

Noticed Ranger is making Pontoons. Would LOVE to buy through The Boat Center for awesome sales, service, etc, but I’m leery on a new brand. Not sure if the new Rangers are re-badge Sun Trackers with inferior build quality and components are are actually Ranger quality products.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Setter,
    I was in the same boat pun intended a couple years ago.

How large is your Lake?
    You can go online to each of the manufacturer’s website and look at all the different styles and lengths.
    You can get a cruising pontoon fishing pontoon or fish and cruise pontoon Etc.
    I guarantee you someone will have what you’re looking for.
    If you have one built September and October are great months to order one. Get one with a nice stereo and accent lighting.
    You can’t go wrong with Bennington or Premier.

I freakin love my pontoon!

If you have any specific questions you can p.m. me

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Thanks EPG. We’re on a 1000 acre lake, and I’ve got the Skeeter for fishing and pulling skiers/tubers if needed. That’s why I thought a 20 MPH boat would work to get across the lake at decent speed, but mostly will be slow cruising.

What did you end up with?

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

We ended up with a 24′ South Bay 500 series fish and cruise Tri w/115 merc 4 stroke.

Our lake is a bit over 1500 acres and it sure is nice to have the extra HP when a strom is on the horizon. I’ll tell ya, the Tri is so stable and smooth. It’s amazing, I can run WOT right over white caps and not spill a drop out of my Margarita.

8 people is a crowd, IMHO a 24′ is what you need. 22′ a bit small.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

For 8 people I’d look at 22 feet or longer. My parents got a Sweetwater 20′ with a Suzuki 50 hp, and it works great for what they use it for (cruising). They bought new and it was pretty affordable, but I don’t think that is a top line brand and definitely didn’t max out the HP or get a trailer since it stays on the lake. Only advice I’d give is to make sure you get speakers up front, or the people in back are jamming out and unable to hear anyone up front lol. Also, they have a ton of seating options now, but the couch style allows for the most seating and easiest for walking around.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

A pontoon! Are you trying to take Omaha beach??

Looking to cruise the lake in comfort.

-the great outdoors

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

If you’re buying a pontoon you might as well snag a floating mat. They’re great!

Iowaboy1

you might want to talk to the Famous Grouse about this,I think he has a forty two foot pontoon with ten of the seven marines 627’s on it,,,, http://www.seven-marine.com/motors/seven-627sv/

with just shy of seven thousand horsepower I think you would be well equipped for a two thousand acre lake.

Grouse,please forgive me if I underrated your latest pontoon!!

Ice Cap

Looking for one myself. We are on a 4600 acre reservoir. Don’t want to spring for a new one right now so looking in the used market. Being this is my first pontoon I want something reliable to bridge the gap for 4 years or so until we can decide on exactly what we need or want for that body of water and so I can get the learning curve out of the way.

Lots of junk out there for $10 grand and under. After $10K you can start to find stuff that isn’t 20 or 25 years old. Right now I’m looking at a 09 Bennington fish/cruise with a 60 horse Yamaha 4 stroke,bunk trailer, trolling motor and all the electronics. Might be able to get into that for like $17K.

While we are talking pontoons does anybody know anything about Grand Island pontoons out of Grand Rapids Mn? They are factory direct and have some almost to good to be true pricing. Just wondering on the build quality.

tornadochaser

I’m very happy with our 2014 Starcraft 24′ pontoon. Powered with a 90 HP yamaha 4 stroke. 20 mph is no problem with 3-5 people on board, 26 mph is the fastest I’ve clocked it running solo on calm water. the seating layout is similar to this 2019 model:

JoeMX1825
    MN

Starcraft, Premier and Bennington are the brands i’ve looked at, just know you won’t get your moneys worth with HP upgrades like you would in a normal boat, but it sounds like you want the slow ride anyways. The Yamaha F70 is a great light motor.

I think the vinyl flooring option is one of the best pontoon boats enhancements over the recent years…way better than carpet

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

My MIL bought a new Montego Bay 8522 DLX last year. It’s got a 90 Etec on it. I’ve been impressed with it. Definitely don’t get carpet. It gets really nasty.

Here’s delivery day. It was a big upgrade from the ’01 Northwood we had before, and we’ve all really enjoyed it.

Attachments:
    1. 20190603_150016.jpg

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Gotta outfit it with a proper flag. We run this one or stars and stripes, depending upon the weekend. waytogo

Attachments:
    1. 20180811_123859.jpg

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Gotta outfit it with a proper flag. We run this one or stars and stripes, depending upon the weekend. waytogo

I am guessing there is some Kid Rock music to go with that flag. peace

queenswake
    NULL

Your decision is easier if all you want is a cruising pontoon. I got a fish-cruise one last summer and it was much more difficult to narrow it down to the right choice to make fishing the easiest and most comfortable.

Every brand is great and you can’t go wrong. If you could wait another year, I’d recommend shopping for one at the Mpls boat show next year so you can sit in all of the makes at once and compare. The biggest things I noticed when I was shopping are how cramped they feel based on layout, how close seats are to the rails, etc. Do the gates open all the way or get blocked by something. Some boats just didn’t flow well and felt cramped.

The other big difference is the consoles. Premier has nice consoles that aren’t just bolted on like in other makes.

Ice Cap

Your decision is easier if all you want is a cruising pontoon. I got a fish-cruise one last summer and it was much more difficult to narrow it down to the right choice to make fishing the easiest and most comfortable.

Every brand is great and you can’t go wrong. If you could wait another year, I’d recommend shopping for one at the Mpls boat show next year so you can sit in all of the makes at once and compare. The biggest things I noticed when I was shopping are how cramped they feel based on layout, how close seats are to the rails, etc. Do the gates open all the way or get blocked by something. Some boats just didn’t flow well and felt cramped.

The other big difference is the consoles. Premier has nice consoles that aren’t just bolted on like in other makes.

Good advice with the exception that every brand is great. Like most things you have the low end line, the mid level line and the top of the line. Good idea on the Mpls. boat show and get the touch and feel experience. We may not buy this year and can wait until next year as we have lots left to do at the lake property before we get settled in. Hoping we find something through word of mouth through friends of friends. Seems the best deals are often found that way.

Also thought a separate sub forum might be appropriate as it seems the subject of pontoons comes up often enough.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Thanks for the advice everyone! We ended up with a Bennington Tritoon with a Merc 115 ProXS command thrust. I wasn’t planning on a Tritoon, but rather just a regular pontoon, but between EPG’s input and other sources, we ended up with the tritoon. We went this direction mainly for increased flotation, and to avoid taking water over the front deck when we’re loaded with passengers in heavy boat wakes and waves.

I’m a bit apprehensive about the black motor as it’s my first one since the 80’s. I sure didn’t love them back then, but have opened my mind and hope it turns out to be a good motor.

Anyone have advice on a preferred boat lift style? I’ve got a 5,000 lb Floe vertical lift, but it’s currently set up for a deep V. I need to figure out if a cradle type under the toons is best, or one that lifts the bottom of the deck. Any advice?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Anyone have advice on a preferred boat lift style? I’ve got a 5,000 lb Floe vertical lift, but it’s currently set up for a deep V. I need to figure out if a cradle type under the toons is best, or one that lifts the bottom of the deck. Any advice?

My parents have a Floe lift I believe and were able to just get new pieces for the lift portion that lift on the bottom deck of the pontoon. It works, but it’s a tight fit. I have a friend w/ a similar pontoon as yours that has sea legs (although their’s is not a tri-toon), which are nice if the water level on the lake fluctuates, or there are sand bars or places you may use them besides next to the dock. Only drawback is they are heavy, require an additional battery, and you have to manually put the cover on each time.

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

Noticed Ranger is making Pontoons. Would LOVE to buy through The Boat Center for awesome sales, service, etc, but I’m leery on a new brand. Not sure if the new Rangers are re-badge Sun Trackers with inferior build quality and components are are actually Ranger quality products.

Daughter and son-in-law sold their 20 foot Premier and bought a Ranger 220F pontoon last summer. The 220F is a fishing model that also works well for cruising. The quality seems very nice. The floor is what they call luxury woven cushioned floor and is very easy to clean and dry’s quickly. The toons are powder coated and so far has held up well and were easy to clean last fall when it was pulled for storage. If they are re-badged Sun-Trackers it hasn’t shown yet. They purchased it through Frankie’s in Center City.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I freakin love my pontoon!

We can tell.

Attachments:
    1. Eelpout-guy-first-time-out.jpg

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

I have a friend w/ a similar pontoon as yours that has sea legs (although their’s is not a tri-toon), which are nice if the water level on the lake fluctuates, or there are sand bars or places you may use them besides next to the dock. Only drawback is they are heavy, require an additional battery, and you have to manually put the cover on each time.

I thought the sea legs were a great idea when I first saw them but twice now I have seen a pontoons that were on sea legs flipped upside down after a storm. In one case the house next door had a similar pontoon on a lift and it was just fine.

Ice Cap

I’m a bit apprehensive about the black motor as it’s my first one since the 80’s. I sure didn’t love them back then, but have opened my mind and hope it turns out to be a good motor.

When I drove up to the lake on Friday I paid attention to every boat and pontoon that was being trailered as to what motor was on them. I probably seen 100 boats and I’d say 90 or more had a black Merc on them. So I’m guessing they must be a good buy.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I always thought the Sealegs were awesome, but after watching our neighbor put his cover on every night, that looks like a pain. We have a vertical lift (Shore Station, I think) that lifts from the pontoon deck. It works well.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Look into having lifting strakes installed. I like them and believe they help get you up on plane.

steve-demars
    Stillwater, Minnesota

I have a 25′ Premier Cast-Away fishing pontoon. I keep it in a slip on the St Croix ready to fish in 15 minutes. I had a Day Enclosure made when I bought the boat. It makes for comfortable fishing during the spring and fall cold water period. The Day Enclosure was worth every penny. Here is the boat:

Attachments:
    1. 28-March-2017-1.jpg

Dale Ortlip

I just went thru the pontoon buying process. I live on a lake with HOA installed dock that I tie up to for now. I am 62, like to fish, kids want to do watersports, grandkids popping out, all fish, cruise and socialize and wanted nice pontoon to serve as virtual entertaining patio too. In short I wanted in all but not to big, as often will be just fishing by myself or two of us. the difference btween 22 and 24 ” wa slight budidnt seem to justify for me. You seem to gain an opposite side gate on the 24’typically. and a bump in carrying capacity. The 22′ is rated for 15! And I cant see me needing to take more than that. I found many useful you tube videos on pontoons where you could do virtual tours of them online and some are educational. I opted for a 22′ premier cast away (made in Wyoming, MN) with a four corner fish layout with captains chairs in all corners, still has lounge and table adjacent to helm that appealed, still open areas to add flexible camp chair seating if needed too. There are significant advantages to getting the ‘center log” making it a triton. increased bouoyancy, handling, capacity, getting to plan, larger motor options, in tube large fuel tank, in tube storage for fairly large,long items. There is some engineering in the center tube design and some hype too that may + performance or just $. Resale/demand will be much better for tritoons than bitoons. Know that that center tube adds about 6-10K to the price depending on length. some offer a “sport tube” which is much less functional and is like half long. Vinyl flooring seems to be the choice and what is offered now. has a big effect on maintenance – I want a washdown clean-up. And bought a 12v Worx low pressure washer to do the task -with either fresh waste in a bucket or lake water over the side. Brands that interested me new were : premire, Lund, starcraft, Bennington, Ranger, qwest fish (serious trolling guide/greatlakes models). These brands offered quality and what I was looking for in layout and features, and decent dealer. I believe the end of season current inventory sale (just before labor day) is the best time to buy – if you find a in stock one you like. I wanted to take advantage of product that has a pre-tariff cost basis for dealer and Mfg. The new prices will be much higher in 2020 with all the aluminum etc. I think the dealer is very important to a wise purchase – service, honesty, good installers etc. I will like siting in the shade under the 11’ bimini and protecting my skin from cancer risk too that is hard to do in a typical fishing boat. I put a 200hp merc 4 stroke on it and should go 40-45, still breaking it in and cant open it up yet. It trolls quite slow, quiet, and is propped for hole shot (15pitch) merc inertia SS prop. In spring I will be adding that new terrova bow mount with 80# thrust and ipilot paired with a large hummingbird compatible finder, then I can deploy hands free, sit in the back with my remote, see the screen, and fish out the back or anywhere I desire. This pontoon also has slooping and curved side rails (fence) so it is lower to fish out of – this set premier apart from others. You got two livewell/baitwells on board, running water sink, pop up changing room/portapottie, in center tube storage, built in trash compartment. stereo, night lights. I added tow bar for tubing/skiing, USB charge outlets/cig sockets, onboard battery charger so I can just plug in. The ultimate accessory I didn’t spring for, yet. is a aftermarket bimini/cover called ‘Easy cover” which is a Fob remote controlled top that serves as mooring cover, full biminin, half, or in-between, but it cost 8-10k and you have to go to Michigan to get it installed. But then I would not need a lift or have to cover/uncover the pontoon, but I suspect you would never recover your investment on resale. I have a heavy traditional anchor and plan to use spot lock on Minnkota to hold position.. some people may want a talon front and back – hold when docked too, but gets expensive and more hardware hanging for kids skiing and swimming. Sealegs don’t fit on all tritoons. Are expensive, more complexity, wiring, battery use and add significant weight, could be issue when trailering I don’t know. maybe be right for the right situation.
    The tritoon is very stable, rides very smooth, turns like a runabout, quiet to converse while running. The helm is raised 6″ on this model and gives you a better view, not all have that. I can take a poop or a nap out fishing now, in the shade.
    Tritoons seem to be a growing market segment and I suspect their will continue to be new innovations and options in the future. but it can get expensive. As more tritoons get in the market new there should be more used available in the future. Barletta is even offering a slide out model where you can expand the width of the pontoon via remote control like is done on RVs.

Ice Cap

My decision was made for me. My mother in law who lives on a lake with my wife’s brother who is also basically her caretaker suddenly decided they wanted to sell their pontoon. It was one of those make me a offer I couldn’t refuse situations. 2005 20′ Northwoods fish and cruise. Fishing pedestals in all 4 corners with a L couch in the center of the boat. Came with a 2016 60 horse Honda 4 stroke with about 30 hours on it and a Triton scissors trailer. $5G’s. Couldn’t say no to that deal.

Funny thing I was going to look at the same boat only a year newer with a 60 horse 4 stroke Merc on it and no trailer and he was asking $10,500. Wanted another $900 for the trailer. So this will be a good starter boat for us until we figure out exactly how much use we get out of it and what we might like that’s different.

to_setter
    Stone Lake, WI

Congratulations Keith! That sounds like a great deal. The motor alone would be worth almost $5K.

Puckster

I am looking at a 2008 Crestliner 2385 Grand Cayman with a 150 Merc and sealegs and 27″ tubes in great shape for its age for 17.5k. Debating buying it or a new Barletta C22UC for ~27k more and a 60HP yamaha. The layout of the Barletta is much nicer with the rear lounge. It could be the only pontoon I’ll ever buy. But the other boat seems like a great deal.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.