New Mercury Motor Thoughts?

• Dean Marshall
    Chippewa Falls WI /Ramsey MN

Mercury announced a new line & certainly new look of V6 motors yesterday at the Miami Boat Show.
    What are your thoughts? Certainly a different look….

Attachments:
    1. 27752052_2026671920683248_6941546708128155618_n.jpg

Crappy Fisherman

Looks like something Darth Vader would put on his boat.

Attachments:
    1. image-2.jpeg

It looks like it might transform into a slightly better looking robot shark.

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

Definitely not the most beautiful thing ever, but if they perform the way the “pros” are saying, they’ll be a great addition to the 175-250hp lineup, being that lightweight.

pool2fool
    Inactive
    St. Paul, MN

Etec copy?

That was my reaction.

And also:

knight

basseyes

Like mercs, but that thing’s mid section looks huge and for what purpose?

Karry Kyllo

I think the new motors look very smartly and tastefully designed.

shockers
    Rochester

Well, I like to sit on the top of my ole Merc motor occasionally while fishing. So…that pointy top seems a bit uncomfortable.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I like the look!

-J.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

not a fan of the new look, but I’d care more about the quality versus the look.

have a 90 mercury from 2016 that has been great so far

Chris Messerschmidt
    Minnesota

I am normally a Merc guy, and this looks like a pretty sweet outboard.

I am just curious to see the performance numbers on this thing. I wonder what the side by side comparison is to the L6 Verado for the 200.

Tuma
    Inactive
    Farmington, MN

I googled it and it looks not bad from different angles. I can’t seem to find one with its top off.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

Its like 1980 all over again… no thanks

hillhiker
    SE MN

I was wondering when a post would pop up about this…

I was lucky enough to see these a while ago, and I thought they looked much better in person or maybe the look just grows on you! I’m a big fan of the styling at this point.

I am just curious to see the performance numbers on this thing. I wonder what the side by side comparison is to the L6 Verado for the 200.

They are strong performers for sure, but I was told this is a replacement for the L4 200 not the L6 200, also known as the 200 Pro, which is an exceptionally strong 200. I think people will be very impressed regardless! Keep an eye on Mercury’s website, I would assume they will be getting some Boathouse Bulletins uploaded sooner than later to show what these motors can do.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I was going to post that today is the first day that I have become one of those guys that dislike the black motors.

However after reading the posts above, I will hold off until I see one in person.

Serving a nice juicy t-bone on a plate with and nice garnish
    or
    Serving the same nice juicy t-bone on the lid of a garbage can.

Bassn Dan

Here’s a thought.

Offer that cowl as an option for the narcissistic hipster types that have to SCREAM for attention everywhere they go.

For everyone else offer something that doesn’t look like it was designed by a star wars obsessed idiot that’s trying to out-ugly evinrude.

queenswake
    NULL

I’ve never understood the obsession by companies to change just for the sake of doing something different. If Radio Flyer had the same idea, we’d be pulling around kids in wagons that looked like spaceships. It’s really bad for vehicles now where every two years, they somehow must be completely redesigned.

I suppose just like the new Evinrudes, we’ll get used to the new Merc look, but I still think it will look way out of place on a utility tiller.

The main reason I suspect outboard makers are doing this is because of how popular outboards have become on bowriders and other pleasure boats. I/Os are on their way out and on those boats, people care more about a certain look.

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Looks a little G2ish and its more expesive plastic,probably much harder to remove the hood.Other than that it’s great.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I couldn’t care less about the top end of an outboard’s appearance. I’m far more concerned about the longevity and reliability of any outboard.

Then again, I’m getting older and my give-a-damn towards what other people think based on appearance is fading rapidly. I’m guessing it will be a quality line of outboards that regardless of looks will perform as expected.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Just saw a pic of this one in white or pearl. That looked sweet.

-J.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Why do manufacturers always want to make their product look so radical? The look is not for me but its what’s under the hood that matters. I still don’t like the look of the G2s. Different strokes for different folks!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Just to be clear, I don’t care what others think about my boat/motor…I like looking at something I think is sexy. Lord forgive me…

Attachments:
    1. Please-SHO-me.jpg

basseyes

For everyone else offer something that doesn’t look like it was designed by a star wars obsessed idiot that’s trying to out-ugly evinrude.

That’s funny

At least ugly is over priced.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

You ever catch yourself in the garage stairing at the boat motor longer than a human should

Ahh ahh ahooooooo

Buckeye1

Saw a commercial today with them on boats. They look much better on the boat then stand alone. Those type of looks are also aimed at the younger generations who care about how cool or sleek something looks.

Bassn Dan

Mercury Marine Clothing – The new #1 selling item.

Too bad they aren’t big enough to fit over the motor.

Attachments:
    1. merc.jpg

kabefisherman11

That motor looks like it has stealth capabilities. I like it as long as it’s reliable I’ll buy one in 25 years when I can afford it.

munchy
    NULL

I have no issues with it.

Attachments:
    1. C6B79234-17CE-4404-8AFF-26AD5E0D0511.jpeg

2. C6B45F17-A20A-40A0-8DD2-C01ADE361837.jpeg

Musky Ed

Not a fan of the looks, but much prefer it to the Verado due to its lighter weight. It will be interesting to see what they come up with for the 250 HP category, as if they try to somehow increase the power to 250 HP on that engine platform, they are going to be at a serious disadvantage to the Yamaha SHO, due to Yamaha’s much larger cubic in of the SHO engine. I would assume we will be seeing a larger cu in version of the new Mercury in the near future, as that 250 HP is a major market, and don’t see it reasonably happening on their just released 3.4 L platform. I have both a 250 HP SHO, and a new 90HP 4S mercury, and absolutely love both engines, but have to admit that Mercury’s ease of maintenance is very consumer friendly, and I think Yamaha would due well to take notice.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.