New lures to try this season

• DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I recently picked up some new Ice Fishing Lures to try and am excited to see what everyone else’s thoughts are on them?

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I love the explanation on the nuances in slightly different lure action.

Also as to why I have same lure profile from different manufactures. As they do work with just that slight difference for those finicky fish.

When fish are biting anything, anything works. When they’re selective, gosh are they ever selective.

I almost never fish 2# line, but will fish plenty of 3# and 4# lines. I also actually look at the listed package line diameter when comparing line #. So then some 5# lines are the same diameter as other’s 4# lines. While some 3# have more thickness compared to another 4# line.

A few examples
    Pline Floroclear .16 mm 3# line
    Pline Floroclear .18 mm 4# line
    Pline Flouroice .15 mm 3# line
    Stroft GTM 5X 5.28# test .15 mm
    ASSO Micron 3 .153 mm 4#
    ASSO Micron3 .173 mm 5#
    Berkley Trilene Microice .18 mm 3# line
    Berkley Trilene XL .20 mm 4#

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I almost never fish 2# line, but will fish plenty of 3# and 4# lines. I also actually look at the listed package line diameter when comparing line #. So then some 5# lines are the same diameter as other’s 4# lines. While some 3# have more thickness compared to another 4# line.

A few examples
    Pline Floroclear .16 mm 3# line
    Pline Floroclear .18 mm 4# line
    Pline Flouroice .15 mm 3# line
    Stroft GTM 5X 5.28# test .15 mm
    ASSO Micron 3 .153 mm 4#
    ASSO Micron3 .173 mm 5#
    Berkley Trilene Microice .18 mm 3# line
    Berkley Trilene XL .20 mm 4#
    [/quote]

I almost never look at Floroclear diameter lol Only time I ever thought to look at it was with braid! I will have to look at that 3# floroice sometime being that it is the lowest actual diameter line! Thanks for the heads up!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The Frost braid [Clam product] in 4 pound test has a diameter of .108mm. Seriously thin line….lie tying a knot in a hair.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I might have to put that on a separate spool to switch out and try!

Frenchman
    West Central Indiana

The frost braid worked very well last year in the 6-10# both in side and out.

Paul

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I might have to put that on a separate spool to switch out and try!

A 50 yard spool is ten bucks. Put half of the spool on one reel and keep the other half for another reel should you like it. I use it for jigging pilings and its great. With a 1/64 jig and a small plastic the line hangs perfectly straight….no loops or coils. The line is very sensitive to strikes and has zero stretch that I can detect. I mentioned this elsewhere, the 4 pound line has a breaking point very near to 6 pounds. I know it comes in an off-white and a smoky grey, which I have been spooling with. Bring some readers for knot tying. lol

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I like the no loop idea and the fact it’s got upper level breaking strength! I am 100% going to get a back up spool just for those light bite days!

jld
    Holmen

Picked up several hi viz jigs and a few spoons from Maynards. really excited to try these out-they look awesome.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

Kender’s K-Rip Rattle baits look really good. I’m just worried about getting them down fast enough when a 15mm is 1/64th oz. I ordered all the colors in the 15mm and 25mm sizes. I doubled up on the Wonderbread, Pink with Purple stripe and Gold Magma because they are my usual colors.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Kender’s K-Rip Rattle baits look really good. I’m just worried about getting them down fast enough when a 15mm is 1/64th oz. I ordered all the colors in the 15mm and 25mm sizes. I doubled up on the Wonderbread, Pink with Purple stripe and Gold Magma because they are my usual colors.

Thanks for the reminder to pick up some more gold jigs this year! I’m down to 1!

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

13 Fishing is supposed to release a 1″ version of their lipless crank Magic Man this year too.

When it comes to braid and superlines I prefer the 8 strand carrier weave over that of the 4 strands. The thinner the line the less of an ice bead. When it comes to finessing a lure, line diameter, line type, also plays a role. While I don’t fish much fluorocarbon types of lines, due to their springy coily nature, their sink rate helps with very light lures and with deep water past 35′ deep.

A few samples below on braid/superlines diameter for comparison to box label #test.

Berkley Fireline Crystal .06 mm 1#
    Berkley Fireline Crystal .08 mm 2#
    Berkley Fireline Crystal .10 mm 3#
    Berkley Fireline Original .13 mm 4#
    Berkley Fireline Crystal .15 mm 6#
    Berkley Fireline Ultra 8 carrier .12mm 4#
    Berkley NanoFil 6# .13mm
    Berkley NanoFil 4# .10mm
    Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .06mm 6#
    Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .13 mm 8#
    Diawa J-Braid Grand x8 .15 mm 10#
    Diawa J-Braid x8 .06 mm 6#
    Diawa J-Braid x8 .15 mm 10#
    ASSO Micro Finish braid .08 mm 10#
    ASSO Micro Finish braid .10 mm 12#

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I saw a few of these Kenders Rips last winter but the colors had been picked over. I was looking at the Kender’s site yesterday and the little Rip baits look like dandies. I’m likely to order a couple sizes….the 1/64 and the 1/32. Maybe a couple in 1/16. These little lip-less cranks really appeal to me and their action when jigged is just plain dynamic.

al-wichman
    SE Wisconsin

I really started using the Z vibe a lot last year with a lot of success. These are from one of my favorite jig makers so I couldn’t resist. I think they’ll be good for walleye to crappie. I will be trying them with and without those suspended dots from Storm. Hoping to maybe get them down a little faster when in deep water.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

I got bit by the impulse bug. So I purchased two of the 13 Fishing Magic Man, not the newer smaller size – didn’t see it yet. But I did get the 1.5″ one.

Quick out of package review. The hooks are bit tiny…roughly sized #14 trebles. The package says #18 but the sizing isn’t that tiny. Good detailing and finish, but the tiny hooks binds on the split ring. The hook eye needs to stay on the single wire part of the split ring. Lure package says 1/16th oz, so it may be quite lightweight for it’s size. I need some water testing time. Not sure if I want to bucket fill for a wet test yet.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Clam has a new color out this year for their Maki plastics called “motor oil” and I really love the look of it. Could imitate a lot of different forage. Some are darker than others and have spots as well. Already picked some up to try.

Attachments:
    1. 0067AFF7-1623-4768-8577-695F87D0B47B.jpeg

2. 80129ADC-E8A0-4F4E-BBB1-29BB811120FA.jpeg

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

I’ll be trying some Damiki Vault 1/4 and 1/2oz blade baits through the ice. It’ll be an interesting alternative to Rippin’/Jigging/Slab Raps.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

Clam has a new color out this year for their Maki plastics called “motor oil” and I really love the look of it. Could imitate a lot of different forage. Some are darker than others and have spots as well. Already picked some up to try.

That color is a big gill killer!

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Motor oil has been a killer color for years. I know nothing of Maki’s colorants or plastics, but the motor oil color has a history of being a bad bleeder so take care to keep these separate from other colors in storage.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Motor oil has been a killer color for years. I know nothing of Maki’s colorants or plastics, but the motor oil color has a history of being a bad bleeder so take care to keep these separate from other colors in storage.

Thanks Tom! Good to know.

Ice Cap

At the end of last year I picked up some Lindy Glow Spoons that has the little glow stick you snap into the back of the lure. I almost forgot I bought them. I was up at Red and it had been fairly slow. Well past dark and almost ready to go to the rattle reels and put a movie on.

Seen these in one of my boxes and thought I’d give them a quick try. Put on a gold tiger stripe stuck the glow stick in it and dropped it down. Two decent eyes in about a half hour hit those things pretty hard. That was it it was quiet the rest of the night. Now I have about 8 of these in different sizes and colors and will see what happens this year.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

I am an extreme fan of anything glow!!!

Ice Cap

Give a couple a try Dave I’d be interested to hear your feedback.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Okay, I’m that sucker buyer who went out and got one of each size of the Kenders K-rip now. Will be opening the package very soon…

I opened the package. They are legit. Little rattling lures. Just need some water time now and see if they really vibe, even with that light of a weight.

I’m thinking maybe I should go back and get the glows ones.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DWSDave31 wrote:</div>

How long does the glow stick work? I have been having a hard time finding anything that glows for a long time these days!

Brandon S

Want to try the demon tongue which Frostbite copied and named the dinner bell. Seems like it’s sold out everywhere though. Any other name it goes by?

Picked up a few Big Shakers from Snyder lures, which performed quite well on Mille Lacs

Ice Cap

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Ice Cap wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>DWSDave31 wrote:</div>

How long does the glow stick work? I have been having a hard time finding anything that glows for a long time these days!

They go several hours. Once you activate the glow stick there’s no going back it glows until it won’t any longer. You can buy replacement packs of 3 without having to buy another lure. When you buy a lure you get 3 glow sticks and the tool for removing the glow stick from the lure.

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

That’s what I was afraid of doah I’m a advocate of good glow paint! That’s what is hard to find nowadays….

Nodak

Been focusing on getting better with artificials and trying to get more away from minnows despite corking live minnows is like my favorite thing ever.
    Last year my most common lure was the VMC tinglers with minnow heads/tails. I had some success with VMC plastics and a ripping rap for pike. Used alot of minnows.

This year I ordered an assortment of ripping and jigging raps to try especially in crawdad color for my main lake. Other favorite color is gold and anything with the orange belly. I like silver on bright days.
    1. Kinder Ripping raps
    2. Lunkerhunter Ripping and jigging raps
    3. Acme Flutter Minnow
    4. Rapala Slab Raps in smaller sizes
    5. More VMC plastics kept in the Clam plastics wallet
    For minnows, I have tinglers and Dinner bells from frostbite. Not sure how I feel about Frostbite yet but I want try some of their stuff too.

But then I go home and wonder if I just wasted a good portion of my life thinking a bare hook with a minnow would have worked even better. Or a piece of wooden dowel with a treble hook.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Sold out

SOLD OUT!

That’s how the little 13 Fishing Micro Magic Man will be. Almost like a 3M patented fishing lure. LOL.

Yes I got back from Thorne Bros and they got slim pickings…like so slim there’s like only two or three left on the shelf.

I will say this lure is easily one of the finest detailed lipless crankbait. Hooks are sharp and nice quality. It makes all the rest looks bland. The 30mm or 1″ one weighs in at about 1/14th oz. While the 40mm or 1.5″ one weighs in at 1/10th of an oz.

It’s better detailed than the Z-Viber. Its definitely better detailed than the Kenders K-Rip. It is and edge better detailed than the Yo Zuri Rattl’N Vibe mini. It’s making my Rapala Rippin Rap look…not as dazzling.

Well there’s lots of toys for me to play with this season. We’ll just have to see if the fish likes which one?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.