Never trust a gauge

• Jonesy

So. Monday I check my fuel oil and see I have just over a 1/4 tank. Thought that seemed high but it has been a mild winter. Fast forward to this morning. I wake up and it feels cold in my house. I had my ceiling fan on so I turned it off, yup still cold. Check the thermostat and it says 54*.

Go downstairs to my furnace room. Furnace is not running. I check the filter its good. Check the oil and it’s still at 1/4 tank. That can’t be right. Decide to hit the tank with my hand to see if I can hear if it’s empty. Well on the second whack the gauge gets unstuck and drops down to zero.

Manage to get oil delivered to me, not even a same day surcharge. Go to bleed the furnace. Hit the reset button and it broke. I had to resort to some methods that would make Bob Vila uncomfortable but I was able to get the cover off and hit the button with my finger.

2019 the year I go to natural gas lol.

SuperDave1959
    Harrisville, UT

That’s the way I’ve always felt about boat fuel gauges. I’ve always wanted a easy access port with a dip stick.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

My boat gauge got me once when it first died.
    I didnt even know fuel oil was still used but it makes sense.

CaptainMusky

Yeah gauges are always a crap shoot as to how accurate they are. Too bad there isn’t an hour meter or something that you could also track usage ala an odometer in a car. Good thing you were able to get filled up quick. That could have been awful.
    THough with the Natural Gas outage in Princeton/Foley area, there are no guarantees with that either.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

Yeah gauges are always a crap shoot as to how accurate they are. Too bad there isn’t an hour meter or something that you could also track usage ala an odometer in a car. Good thing you were able to get filled up quick. That could have been awful.
    THough with the Natural Gas outage in Princeton/Foley area, there are no guarantees with that either.

I thought we had way more then enough natural gas. Like it was the energy course of the future. And there shutting down coal power plants and turning them into natural gas??

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

That’s the way I’ve always felt about boat fuel gauges. I’ve always wanted a easy access port with a dip stick.

BIL has a MasterCraft ski boat, and the back bench pulls out with the fuel tank right behind it. It’s the most accurate fuel gauge I’ve ever seen. rotflol

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

LOL…I always tap the fuel gauge or whack the tank.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Our old Ski Doo snowmobile used to have a dipstick style fuel gauge my dad fell for that trick a couple times, I remember getting calls to bring him gas

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.