Netflix — Quarterback

• gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Mahomes is the Man. Cousins is a serviceable QB. and Mariota is a want a be.

I agree with the description. Mahomes is a generational talent. He led his team on a gimpy knee down double digits to the Eagles last February to win the Super Bowl. Not a small feat by any means. He’s also had the luxury of playing with arguably the best tight end of all time though too. But his wife is still annoying lol

Cuz is who he is. He is a top 15 quarterback in the NFL which puts him ahead of the majority, but not in the elite tier. Finding the generational long term talent like Mahomes is super rare. More often than not you end up with someone like Mariota instead.

CaptainMusky

Drafting a franchise QB is about the toughest thing in all of sports. Wild fans would say that a 1C ranks right up there, but Id argue the QB is much tougher to draft and pan out. The Vikings have swung and missed many times over the years. Some real duds that is for sure. Cousins by the time his career is done here he will be leading every QB stat for the franchise which is no small feat. Tarkenton was revered here, but Cousins will own every record when he is done.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Cousins is also very durable. I am pretty sure he’s never missed a game due to injury. I can recall him missing a game when he tested positive for covid against Green Bay and the Packers demolished the purple with Sean Mannion in there instead.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Cousins is also very durable. I am pretty sure he’s never missed a game due to injury. I can recall him missing a game when he tested positive for covid against Green Bay and the Packers demolished the purple with Sean Mannion in there instead.

He is a tough SOB for sure. He took a real beating often last year and keep getting up. No one should every question his toughness or work ethic. He’s just not as naturally gifted as many other QB’s. I’d hate to think how good some of these naturally gifted QB’s could be with his work ethic. Then again intelligence is also a Big factor.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I tried watching it but found my self bored after a short while. I don’t watch TV and I guess that shoe didn’t do it for me. But I will say those NFL qbs are some tough sobs

KP
    Hudson, WI

I just started watching it and really like it! As a Packer fan I dont like saying this but Cousins is very likable and that guy is really tough. Some of his brain stuff he does is a bit weird but must work for him. Mahomes sounds like if Kermit the frog was on steroids.

3Rivers

I don’t care what anyone says, without a doubt there are 25 other teams that would trade QB’s with MN in a second. Y’all are crazy talk saying he can’t win the big one or just above average. Put a complete team out there and you’ll have a chance with him. 100% Heck, even when you have the best QB or the best team, or even a PERFECT kicker, the ball can still go sideways on one play and then you’re done.
    A great guy, a great team leader and a great representative for the team.

Fran Tarkenton, George Shaw, Joe Kapp, Gary Cuozzo, Bob Lee, Norm Snead, Tommy Kramer, Steve Dils, Wade Wilson, Archie Manning, Tony Adams, Rich Gannon, Jim McMahon, Sean Salisbury, Warren Moon, Brad Johnson, Randall Cunningham, Jeff George, Gus Frerotte, Todd Bauman, Daunte Culpepper, Tarvaris Jackson, Kelly Holcomb, Brooks Bollinger, Joe Webb, Christian Ponder, Brett Favre, Donovan McNabb, Matt Cassel, Josh Freeman, Teddy Bridgewater, Sam Bradford, Shaun Hill, Case Keenum.

He’s easily top 5 of all time and maybe higher. If he stays another couple of years he’ll probably hold nearly every record AND only 1 of 2 to do it with a 100 rating or better (Sam Bradford).

Brittman

The talking heads on TV love controversy, but essentially have little real skin in the QB game.

Drafting a 1st round quarterback that actually is serviceable let alone a franchise QB is very low odds. The Viking’s track record there is not good either. Whether the young QB gets shelved for poor play or injury is somewhat irrelevant since they are then not leading the team either way.

Cousins is who the Vikings have. He is solid and he pretty much plays every down. He is committed to the game.

Vikings had a really bad defense in 2022 and I am sure if you dug deep enough would find the Vikings offense starting field position sucked as a result of the poor defense.

Umy
    South Metro

I have watched 3 episodes of this. I find it interesting.
    Not real familiar with mariota but seems to have the heart for his job. Seems like he’s the least successful, capable, gifted of the 3 – ( not a huge football fan so there is that)
    So far cant understand the hating of Mahome’s wife but maybe that will come. She’s a little “hills of appalachia” perhaps but then, they’ve been together a long time.
    Cousins is very much a “studied” kind of guy in how he approaches everything. He is definitely a gamer though, that is clear. I think it was episode 3 we watched last nite and his getting the wind knocked out of him. I loved the guy who hit him “you’ll be all right” ( not in a nasty way) and gets up and walks away and cousins is just laying there thinking “oh god, I gotta get up and do this again” .
    I have found new respect for him and it’s fun to hear the dialogue from all when they’re on the field. We don’t get to hear that during the games.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

So far cant understand the hating of Mahome’s wife but maybe that will come.

I think Cousins and Mahomes wife are the two whose public perception benefitted the most from the show. Mrs. Mahomes is very active on social media and had some not very classy interactions with people there, which is where most of the dislike comes from. The KOC/Kirk interactions have been interesting too.

CaptainMusky

If you arent on social media you wouldnt get the hatred for Mahomes wife. I totally changed my tune after watching this show however. She came across as super annoying all the time I saw something from her, mostly they were from some random person though. In this show however she comes across as wholesome and just a big dang fan and very supportive of her husband.

stout93
    Becker MN

I tried watching it but found my self bored after a short while. I don’t watch TV and I guess that shoe didn’t do it for me. But I will say those NFL qbs are some tough sobs

Same here, found it somewhat boring to be honest. A poor mans’ NFL Films…

Ripjiggen

I have tried watching several. I seem to fall a sleep to them.

ThunderLund78

FINALLY finished all 8 episodes and am now reading this thread, not worth repeating all points made but hear are a few observations:

1. Love him or hate him as a player, Cousins is a 100% genuine good guy who has his priorities straight.
    2. There may not be 2 people more perfect for each other on this earth than Mr and Mrs Cousins.
    3. Patrick Mahomes is just RARE – an almost once-in-a-generation athlete/competitor.
    4. Being in the same room between Mahomes and his wife if they were shouting at each other would be the most annoying sound in the world
    5. Netflix/Manning got their money’s worth choosing Mahomes and Cousins – Documented the Chiefs challenging Superbowl run and then one of the most remarkable seasons in NFL history from a Vikings standpoint (number of close games, record comebacks, Buffalo win, etc)
    6. While Mariota filled the role as more of a struggling QB – you could tell Netflix/Manning struggled to get good content with him – he’s just kinda boring. Cousins had some good post-season content, but Mariota was almost non-existent in the last two episodes.

Loved it – hoping there’s a season 2 in the works. Would actually like to have them do a season with A-rog being one of them. I’ve always wanted to see the inside of a sweat lodge rotflol

Umy
    South Metro

Funny Thunder!!
    the “Mahomes” have a unique relationship. She IS a super fan so give her credit for that.
    I Mahomes is not much different when he’s 50 – just a kid – I like that about him and he’s never been one I root for but I’ll look at him a little differently now.

Kirk does seem like a genuinely good guy. Mariota is an afterthought almost to this show. I don’t think they paint him with the most complimentary of brushes either. I also am not a huge football fan so maybe others can “see” more than I when they watch this.
    Fun series though, enjoying it.

3Rivers

I actually think that “Kicker” would make for some great content. Think about how quirky they can be and all the dramatic stuff that happens over the course of a season with them (wins/losses/makes/misses).

Dan
    Southeast MN

I haven’t seen a thing about Mahomes’ wife on social media before so I had no pre-conceived notions, she seems very likable on the show.

One of the episodes spent some time with Mahomes talking about reverting back to baseball with some of his throws and that really turned on the light bulb to me and a lot of his throws, and the training for them, makes more sense now. He almost seems like a SS/2B making a back-handed or deep in the hole, off-balance throw just trying to get it towards first base. I catch a lot of KC games because they’re almost always on prime time and this is what makes their short game so deadly; Mahomes will scramble one way and get the whole defense running with him and then throw off-balance, across his body, or flick a throw, or throw with his left hand, to a receiver or RB going against the grain of the defense. He’s very talented.

Not much to be said about Kirk that hasn’t been said. Following the Vikings it’s not much we didn’t already know but maybe the national audience will have a better understanding of him now. Extremely likeable guy and extreme competitor.

If you’re Justin Jefferson and Kirk Cousins has been throwing you footballs for a few years that have led to historic numbers for a guy this early in his career and numbers that are going to get you paid as the top receiver in the NFL you probably want him back. Other than the obvious, where you could say “I’d rather have Mahomes/Allen/Rodgers/Burrow” why would you want to interrupt what’s been putting you in the history books and going to get you paid?

Viewing 17 posts - 31 through 47 (of 47 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.