Need your suggestions on a fall eye fishing trip

• Mr Sticks

Me and my buddy are planning on taking a fall walleye fishing trip, but we need a few suggestions as to where might be the most productive.

Let me fist say that I know that this is a loaded question, and everyone has their opinions, but I do appreciate the suggestions. A few places we are considering are Green Bay, Rainy Lake, LOTW, Leech, Winnie. We are thinking of going over MEA weekend (Oct 18-21).

We have a decent boat for handling larger water, but Green Bay would defiantly push it! We don’t have the time to get our Visa’s, so Canada is out. We both live in the Twin City suburbs, and just want to catch some fish ( as I am currently at 0 walleye for this year)!

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Deffinatley a very good consideration is lake of the woods. That’s my go to. But depending on the boat that lake is a monster and can change in a blink of a eye. We always do great up there.

bigpike

My first love was the river, Trempealeau was were I learned about fall walleye fishing. Beautiful setting, cool little river town. Great state campground just north of town. It’s been years for me, maybe this is my fall walleye trip back there! Bonus perch at the spill wall area. Snap jigging the walleye at night on the wall by the float!

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

South Dakota, north dakota, Mille lacs, the river as said, Alexandria area, red, endless options, how do you like to fish?

bendvoracek
    Eden Prairie, MN

I would reccomend going to the Alexandria area lakes and calling up Joe Scegura. He is a great guide and will put you on fish.

http://jsguideservice.com

Ben

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

If you want big fish…Green Bay.
    If you want numbers you can keep…LOTW.
    If you want numbers….Mille Lacs.
    If you want something other then that…..Hy Vee.

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

I’d say LOTW. You can get numbers but also the opportunity at some pigs, especially that time of year plus if it’s windy you have the river to fish. Depending on conditions, you might hit the shiner run around then.

bla

Fox River in Green Bay can be great if you can’t get out on the bay.

tbro16
    Inactive
    St Paul

I’m considering a similar trip but a bit earlier (last week of Sep). I have a small 14 ft boat but I’m very interested in fishing LOTW, likely the very northern or eastern tips where I’ve got islands to hide behind if the wind picks up. Anyone familiar with isolated campsites out on islands (away from campgrounds/cabins on shore)?

Or is it plausible for me to camp out of my truck while parked at a landing?

nu98walleye

I’m not familiar with that area of LOTW but my guess is camping out of anything at a public landing is not going to be allowed.

Maybe look into Voyagers national park sounds a little closer to what your looking for if you want to camp on an island. There are some areas that should be ok with only a 14′ boat.

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

I would reccomend going to the Alexandria area lakes and calling up Joe Scegura. He is a great guide and will put you on fish.

http://jsguideservice.com

Ben

Thanks Ben! There’s nothing more flattering than having a past customer vouch for ya blush

I am pretty filled up for this fall but I’d still recommend the Alexandria area. The shear number of fish over 20″ this summer has been unreal. I’d put it up against any fishery in the state right now.

Last week I had a rare opportunity to fish with a good friend of mine for a few hours. It was an enjoyable morning for many reasons including some impressive fish. My first fish in the boat was over 30″ and it didn’t stop there. We had many fish over 20″ including a 28.5″ to end the morning.

Attachments:
    1. Yet-another-walleye-over-30-in-Alexandria.jpg

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

If it was me I’d chose Mille Lacs or Devils Lake.

koldfront kraig
    Coon Rapids mn

What about the Mississippi river down around Red Wing/Pool 2?

The river is beautiful that time of year.

Mr Sticks

Wow! All terrific suggestions! Thank you very much! I am leaning towards LOTW.

I’ve only been on this lake on the ice, so I’m asking because I don’t know. We will be in an 18′ Crestliner that has a 150 Yamaha. It is a wide boat, with a drivers console only. My question is for that time of year (late October) do any of you who have fished that lake, anticipate us heading way out? Or would we be more likely fishing closer to shore?

Thanks again,

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

It will be a cold trip up there in late October. Bring good rain gear and warm clothing

fishsammich

Can’t beat the Mississippi River for walleye in the spring and fall. Never lake fished (except Great Lakes) but why would I.

Attachments:
    1. image-3.jpeg

DWSDave31
    Southern WI

If you want big fish…Green Bay.
    If you want numbers you can keep…LOTW.
    If you want numbers….Mille Lacs.
    If you want something other then that…..Hy Vee.

Dutchboy basically hit the nail on the head!

Personally I would want to go to Green Bay because those fall fish will be some of the biggest ones you will run into!

Joe Scegura
    Alexandria MN

Tuesday night Alexandria… 3 people… 27min… 18 walleye 17″-20″… Just an FYI.

big_g
    Isle, MN

How about oahe ? If you just want to catch walleyes…14” to 28” and the possibility of a 30”, I would hit Mille Lacs and the world famous Hunters Point Resort… you have to experience it once if you are a true Walleye fisherman. grin

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Rainy river. You can fish the river for trophies and get a limit of eaters in the gap weather permitting. We had rollers on the lake really bad that time last year but easily fish the river in case. Only place I can think of where you can catch a 15lb walleye which is why we keep coming back. Timing the shiner run and good weather is the tricky part.

Mr Sticks

I gotta ask, because I don’t know, when is it usually?

Mr Sticks

I couldn’t take it anymore! I just sent Joe from the Alexandria area a private message about his availability! Thanks for all the suggestions, we really appreciate it and all your input!

Sticks

eyeguy507
    SE MN

I gotta ask, because I don’t know, when is it usually?

I’m assuming you are asking me? The shiners usually are in the river sometime mid to late October but you just check some of the resorts fishing updates and they will typically tell you. Once they start running, the eyes are not far behind filling up for winter.

Think of the rainy river like a funnel. Sure we have a few go to areas where we fish but anyone can get lucky and land a giant just anchoring anywhere. Some of the best fishing is a 10 minute boat ride from the big resorts there. Don’t need a big boat, shiners and a handful of jigs will put fish in the boat.

Good luck with your plans.

Mr Sticks

Thanks to all of your suggestions. We have decided to go to the Alexandria area and have booked a day with fishing guide Joe Scegura. I can hardly wait!
    Thanks again for all the help and suggestions.

Sticks

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.