Need Some feedback for School Project

• Connor Project

Hi, so I’m tasked with improving an issue for my engineering class and since I love fishing I’m trying to solve a fishing issue.

Someone on Reddit gave me the idea that rods without hook keepers are stuck with hooking into the line guide which is harmful to the condition of the rod. After researching, however, I saw some products that were attachable to keep the hook.

So, I was thinking of another problem that I run into with hooking back up, which is it being kinda annoying to get your hook in place if your line is a little too loose or it’s windy. So, I’m thinking of a 3D modeled piece that can fit a cork inside and is attachable and detachable. This will safely hold the hook, as well as making it easy to just stick in and reel tight. Also, for 2 hooked rigs you can use multiple at whatever height you want.

To help you guys visualize I zip tied a cork onto my rod to take a picture, just know that this is not the final idea. https://imgur.com/gallery/4uj7ufh
    I’ll leave a clickable link in the replies if i can figure it out.

So, if you guys can help me by either agreeing so I can have proof of the problem, or by giving me advise it will be appreciated thank you!

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Think a foam material like a pool noodle only much smaller. Cut a full length slot so it pops completely over the rod. You can still hook a hook into it as a hook keeper.

Your idea will work as a school project but it’s not something that would be marketable in my opinion.

Good luck, hope you get an “A”.

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

I really don’t mean to burst your bubble but this is already a product on the market. https://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Cal_Coast_Fishing_Cali_Clip_Hook_Keeper/descpage-CALICP.html?from=gshop&gclid=CjwKCAjwlbr8BRA0EiwAnt4MTvntSF-VJZGnzJwt3IJMUwVlPCeoD3y43Tq3LTs5hNEg_NzedEsK7hoCoRgQAvD_BwE

If you’re looking for a marketable product, why not 3d print a plastic piece that would snap onto or zip tie onto a rod above the reel that has a little hook keeper?

Not sure about everyone else but every rod I will ever buy already has a hook keeper from the factory.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I have these on one rod that your hook keeper broke.
    It’s a sturgeon/flathead/musky rod.
    Never thought it’d work, but 3 years later and not one problem…

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20201020-141417_Chrome.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I have a couple rods without built in hook keepers and use these. They retail for about $3 for a two pack. The nice little feature is that it stretches like a rubber band keeping some tension on your line so it’s not flopping around or falling off.

Attachments:
    1. HL.jpg

Deuces

Screw the hook keeper project, c’mon, teacher was gonna know you’re mailing er in on that one.

Automatic backpack caster. Yup, I said it. Those 4″ ring worms and HJ12s get tiring throwing all night. I’m old, my arm wants a rest and to take a sip of delicious hot chocolate once in awhile. Throw rod in device and it chucks it out there for me, heck it can even reel it in as well since you have extra engineering time with the corona and all, make it at least 7 speeds, few different cadences would be a bonus.

Let me know when you need a tester for it.

Snap

Maybe make the cork so that it snaps around the rod somehow instead of up next to it. You would have more room for cork and then it could double as a rod float as well. In case you drop it overboard.

IMO someone needs to invent something that allows you to quickly store a rod with a 10′ leader.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.