Need new boots

• Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Several years ago I bought a pair of LaCrosse “Iceman” Pac boots. The rubber on these boots has just disintegrated. Seams let go, a thousand little cracks, etc. Junk.

So I’m looking for an alternative. Mainly will be used for snow removal and ice fishing. Thoughts?

Thanks guys

SR

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Muck arctic pros

MX1825

I agree with Bearcat.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

LaCrosse Alphaburlys. I’m going on year 5 or 6 and beat them on blacktop, mud, ice, brush, rip rapped shorelines, etc. and have no reason to think I won’t get a couple more years out of them.

I had Mucks previously. They were a solid boot, but just didn’t last as long as I wear boots a ton and am hard on them. They got tossed after the 3rd year as the soles were worn out and the tops were cracking. They were not nearly as warm as the Alphaburlys either.

supercat
    Eau Claire, WI

Baffin snow monster. If you like the original iceman 30 years ago you will like these I have had both and they are great boots. Baffin is a little more comfortable then the iceman was.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

LaCrosse Alphaburlys. I’m going on year 5 or 6 and beat them on blacktop, mud, ice, brush, rip rapped shorelines, etc. and have no reason to think I won’t get a couple more years out of them.

I had Mucks previously. They were a solid boot, but just didn’t last as long as I wear boots a ton and am hard on them. They got tossed after the 3rd year as the soles were worn out and the tops were cracking. They were not nearly as warm as the Alphaburlys either.

X2 – Was not a fan of the Mucks that I had. going on the 3rd season on the alphaburlys – Still look like new. Lots of miles on them the last 2 ice seasons.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Baffin snow monster. If you like the original iceman 30 years ago you will like these I have had both and they are great boots. Baffin is a little more comfortable then the iceman was.

I am also a big fan of the Baffin boots. Mine are the Apex. By far the warmest boot I’ve owned ( Almost to warm ) They are bulky but so were the icemans. If you need boots that are really waterproof and you move alot in them I’d go with the
    LaCrosse Alphaburlys. If you are sitting in one place and warmth is what you want I’d go with the baffins

Steven Krapfl
    Springville, Iowa

I like Baffins as well. I also like the old Mickey boots, I have a pair of them that i still wear for shoveling the now and ice fishing if the walk isn’t too far.

stout93
    Becker MN

Look at the line of Baffins. I have the Eiger and by far the best boot I’ve ever had. They are bulky…Herman Munster boots..can’t drive with them on so take that into account. I have a pair of Mickeys too, but they’re not nearly as warm, maybe I’m in the minority but my feet actually get kind of cool in them. I only wear those when the temp is 25 degrees or higher, then the Baffin’s when it’s below that.

OG Net_Man

I have never used a pac style boot for snow removal. I prefer some type of hunting boot for this application.

What style of ice fishing do you partake in? If you are just fishing out of a retractable wheel fish house or similar then some thing like a Baffin would be too warm. If you fish with your feet on the ice/snow then it is a different story.

I normally fish with my feet in contact with the ice/snow and use mostly Lacrosse Ice King pac boots. I also use a Baffin brand pac boot but I only use these for all day trips at approx. minus 10 or colder.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

These

Attachments:
    1. Boots.jpg

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

Mucks.Are you selling those boots EP or giving them away.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m to lazy to tie my boots thats why I like my mucks. But I will also say I love my alpha burlys. I find myself wearing my mucks more often

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Mucks.Are you selling those boots EP or giving them away.

You’d have to pry my cold dead doggies out of these if you wanted them. rotflol

There keeping my feet warm while I’m pulling tabs and suckin down Coronas tonight.

Meat raffle was a bust and tabs are making me need to refinance the cabin. doah

Steve Root
    South St. Paul, MN

Thanks for all the input!
    A couple of years ago I tried on every model of Muck I could find, and none of them fit. I have a high instep and couldn’t pull them on.
    I went to the LaCrosse web page and the reviews on their own page weren’t good. A lot of people reported the same thing I did, the rubber falls apart and the seams let go.
    I think I’m going to look at Baffin.

Oh yea…I’m an outside sitting on a stool feet on the ice kind of ice fisherman. So I need warm boots.

Thanks again!

SR

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Ok, once again – watch any of the “living in Alaska” programs.
    Why do ALL of the people wear Mickey Mouse boots?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Thanks for all the input!
    A couple of years ago I tried on every model of Muck I could find, and none of them fit. I have a high instep and couldn’t pull them on.
    I went to the LaCrosse web page and the reviews on their own page weren’t good. A lot of people reported the same thing I did, the rubber falls apart and the seams let go.
    I think I’m going to look at Baffin.

Oh yea…I’m an outside sitting on a stool feet on the ice kind of ice fisherman. So I need warm boots.

Thanks again!

SR

Don’t get the Baffin Titan…they are overkill. Too warm and not enough mobility. Great boots if you live with polar bears.

I know a couple people that own the Snow Monsters…super warm and fairly mobile.

I have Mucks, Baffins, and Lacrosse boots. All are good imho. Comes down to what fits best.

Dan
    Southeast MN

Steve I think on the main page here in the general discussion forum is a thread on Muck Arctic Ice boots. I went with them because I absolutely love Muck Woody Max’s. I’ve had the Arctic Ice out several times this gun hunting season and I really like them. The amount of traffic on that thread and another on those boots a few weeks ago tells me a lot of people have gotten them.

And….Scheels currently has them for $109.99. At that price even if they don’t live up to complete arctic warmth I think it’s a good price for an awful damn comfy boot to wear in at least “cool” weather.

stout93
    Becker MN

Yeah, they wear the white bunny boots, not the black mickeys. There’s a difference..like I said before, I don’t wear my black mickeys in below 25 degree weather, they’re not that warm in my opinion. They’re not that comfortable either to be honest.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eelpoutguy wrote:</div>

Yeah, they wear the white bunny boots, not the black mickeys. There’s a difference..like I said before, I don’t wear my black mickeys in below 25 degree weather, they’re not that warm in my opinion. They’re not that comfortable either to be honest.

The black boots are designed to -20 and for me if it’s -20 I’m sitting at the cabin having hot toddies. My feet haven’t gotten cold wearing them, so far. As far as comfortable, I could go dancing in mine, they are very comfortable.
    The myth that they are heavy is just that, a myth.
    I tried on the big name designer boots and when everything was said and done I went with Mickey, but tha’ts just me.

rjohnson8404

I’m also on the Muck Arctic pro bandwagon but I will say socks are important. They don’t breath well so pick a nice merino wool sock in my opinion to help wick sweat.

disco bobber

I have a pair of Muck Arctic pros. I like them and they have their purpose but they just don’t keep my feet as warm as Ice Kings or Baffins.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Nobody else out there wearing modern hunting pac boots like Cabela’s Saskatchewan or an old school style like Schnees Extreme?

Schnees are making the quality of pace boots that LaCrosse used to make, if not better. They used to seem expensive, but honestly now that Muck and Lacrosse are in the 200 range, Schnees are looking like the better value. I can tell you which will last longer.

Tom schmitt

I just recieved my new pair of Iceman pac boots.
    Moosejaw outfitters I beleive was the website.
    There are somethings that are hard to improve.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I have a pair of Muck Arctic pros. I like them and they have their purpose but they just don’t keep my feet as warm as Ice Kings or Baffins.

Don’t make the same mistake as me ! Bought a pair of Muck “Arctic Sport” boots. To use the word “Arctic” to describe these boots is clearly false advertising. Anything below 35 degrees and you can put these away for the season. smash

-J.

blackbay

I like my Muck Boots but I’m not too impressed with the traction, especially in snow. If one isn’t getting into water over the ankle I would stick with the old fashion pac style boot. Baffin, Sorel or LaCrosse.

Netguy
    Minnetonka

Nobody else out there wearing modern hunting pac boots like Cabela’s Saskatchewan or an old school style like Schnees Extreme?

I’m still wearing a 20+ year old pair of Sorel Premiums. I do need a new pair since the rubber is cracking where the boot flexes.

matt

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>disco bobber wrote:</div>

Don’t make the same mistake as me ! Bought a pair of Muck “Arctic Sport” boots. To use the word “Arctic” to describe these boots is clearly false advertising. Anything below 35 degrees and you can put these away for the season. smash

-J.

I just got a pair of the Muck Artic Pro rated for 30°to-60° Wore them in the boat Mon and Tue-feet were cold,not frozen but definately cold.Mornings started colder but high temps were in the high 30’s one day and mid 40’s the next.Expected my feet to stay warm,not the case.Gonna try the Baffin Titans,Mucks going back to Scheels

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.