My Favorite New MN Bill

• fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

A bill has been introduced in MN to ban all painting done by unlicensed painters. This includes even the ability to purchase paint at Home Depot or the like by homeowner DIYers.

What the?

Minnesota bill would outlaw unlicensed painting

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

That would be one of the dumbest ones i have heard of,down right ignorant.

B-man

April 1st is a ways off isn’t it?

Deuces

Fellas don’t think this would help with legal domestic workers to retain more work?

Stupid bill, there are better ways of getting things done. But it is an interesting thought of licensing more trades…

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

So are they going to pull electrical items off the shelf and make them only available to licensed contractors? Take auto parts out of NAPA and only allow licensed mechanics to work on cars?

TH

You will just have to buy paint in ND, SD or Wi. Most people are within 2 hrs of another state. You can buy paint when you get a new gas lawn mower, weed whacker or leaf blower. Once they figure out everyone is driving out of state and that they’re missing out on the sales tax, they’ll maybe figure it out.

Can’t they do anything except think of things to ban?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I fail to see how paint is related to an outdoor forum. I believe this has been posted purely for political banter, which we’ve been asked to avoid.

Move along Betty

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I fail to see how paint is related to an outdoor forum. I believe this has been posted purely for political banter, which we’ve been asked to avoid.

Move along Betty

it’s a valid argument, they use paint for wildlife mounts. waytogo

CaptainMusky

Wtf is this state coming to? I can’t buy paint to paint my own house GTFOH

gregory
    Red wing,mn

How are some of the women gonna get ready in the morning??

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

How are some of the women gonna get ready in the morning??

This is why I made the post!! Haha!

Deuces

Are they not allowing folks to paint? I missed that part. Main part I got in bill was they won’t sell oil paint in 5 gallon pails to consumers anymore, just 1 gallons.

Again, stupid bill imo. Just want to clarify the stupidness doah

monticatgeek
    Monticello, MN

it is HF3633 and would require solvent based paints to be restricted to licensed contractors only. also eliminates spray paint. think that water-based paint wouldn’t be affected by this.

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

“(a) The sale of solvent-based paint materials is restricted to those persons licensed under section 326B.62. The restriction under this paragraph excludes sales of solvent-based paint materials sold in containers that are a gallon or less in volume and household spray paints dispensed from an aerosol can.
    (b) For purposes of this section, “solvent-based paint materials” means nonwaterborne paint and paint thinners.”

The average DIY’r is still going to get their paint. But I agree, more dumb regulations that aren’t needed.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

About a year ago the guy at Menards said they are going to stop selling paint in 5 gallons. Because more people request 3 gallon buckets than 5.
    How does one get licensed as a home painter? I watch Karate kid and have paint the fence down. I even worked on wax on, wax off.

FinnyDinDin

Just another tax. Land of 10k taxes. Quickly becoming minnefornia.

Deuces

That would really cut down on all my graffiti projects

OG Net_Man

Consider this post as a public service announcement and give a thank you to the OP.

Good thing that I stayed away from the cedar deck. Still have a cedar fence and the cedar sided garage is in need of a paint job this year.

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Which lovely law making person do I send a Hallmark card to? I’d love to thank them for making Minnesota a safer state. coffee coffee

Hopefully next is a law on strobe lights and flagpoles. waytogo

Umy
    South Metro

Here’s your sponsor/bill creator: ( waiting for the thought police to show up and arrest me for “domestic terrorism)

KELLY MORRISON
    Deephaven
    Body: Senate
    District: 45
    Elected: 11/8/2022
    Residence: Deephaven
    Term of Office: 1/3/2023 to 1/11/2027
    Counties Represented: Hennepin
    Party: Democratic-Farmer-Labor
    Bills Authored: Chief Author Author
    Committees:
    Environment, Climate, and Legacy
    Health and Human Services
    State and Local Government and Veterans
    Transportation
    Leadership Position: Assistant Majority Leader

My not to her on her email platform. Probably never read it but hey, it’s my right.

There are FAR MORE IMPORTANT things you should should be focusing on now.
    I understand that maybe our economy is being crushed by people who are painting houses for cash or are not licensed contractors. Maybe we can, instead, not invite the whole world of illegal immigrants who have no other means of supporting themselves here on the TAXPAYERS dime and instead utilize the existing immigration policies to properly vet individuals who come to our country ( I ran ABE programming for more than 30 years and support it 100% for the record)
    People tend to forget that they don’t live at the expense of the government but the government lives at the expense of the people. In an economic environment CREATED by the current liberal administration ( state AND federal), this is just yet ANOTHER example of the fallout created by their failed policies. My humble opinion.

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

that’s a really good letter, Umy.

tswoboda

Here’s your sponsor/bill creator: ( waiting for the thought police to show up and arrest me for “domestic terrorism)
    KELLY MORRISON

Maybe I’m missing something but I don’t see Morrison listed as author on either the house or senate bills

HF 3633 author is Sydney Jordan and SF 3554 co-authors are Jennifer A. McEwen, Judy Seeberger, and John A. Hoffman

Umy
    South Metro

I saw her listed when I looked it up.
    Thought I had done my due diligence before I sent it.
    I see my error.
    Have sent message to the PROPER folks and an apology to Morrison.
    I should know better. I have been in the state website for lots of years.

big_g
    Isle, MN

My deer stand I built last fall…. I “painted” it myself. Them days may soon be gone… hopefully before I have to re-stain the cabin this summer… crazy

Attachments:
    1. stand.jpg

Baitwaster
    South metro

I saw her listed when I looked it up.
    Thought I had done my due diligence before I sent it.
    I see my error.
    Have sent message to the PROPER folks and an apology to Morrison.
    I should know better. I have been in the state website for lots of years.

Maybe sent to the wrong person initially, but they ALL need to get that letter!

Brittman

MN DFL be California Dreamin’

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

If you take paint away from law abiding people, only the criminals will have paint.

gregory
    Red wing,mn

If you take paint away from law abiding people, only the criminals will have paint.

Next there gonna wanna ban assault brushes, or would that be the spray paint.. lol

fishinfreaks
    Rogers, MN

My deer stand I built last fall…. I “painted” it myself. Them days may soon be gone… hopefully before I have to re-stain the cabin this summer… crazy

This got me thinking…I wonder if the authors of the bill have a big honey-do list that includes staining their homes, and if it’s illegal for them to buy and apply the stain to their home, they’re off the hook and can hire it out.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 43 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.