Multiple unit question

• Matt Peterson

I think that I already know the answer to this, but figured I would ask anyway. If I have a helix 12 SI at the helm, can I buy a helix 10 2D/gps model, the one without imaging, and use the helm unit as a slave and view SI on the 10? I am pretty sure I have seen that this is a viable option. I want the 10 to be used at the bow and stern and would only be using the mega ducer from the helm unit.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Welcome to IDO Matt!

“helix 12 SI at the helm, can I buy a helix 10 2D/gps model, the one without imaging, and use the helm unit as a slave and view SI on the 10”

Did you mean,
    helix 12 SI at the helm, can I buy a helix 10 2D/gps model, the one without imaging, and use the helm unit as a Master and view SI on the 10?

I hear that a non si unit can be linked with a si unit and get si on the non unit.
    I don’t understand how but I hear people swear that you could.

Do not take my word for it as my knowledge is with the older core units. I’m just now doing a whole update/upgrade my self this week.

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Yes, what you want to do will work if the 2 units are connected with a ethernet cable or ethernet cables and an ethernet port.

I do this with a Helix 10 G2N SI at the console and a Helix 10 G2N 2D at the bow connected with ethernet cables and an ethernet port. The SI can be seen on the Helix at the bow. Power everything up, wait until they connect to each other and go through the menus and select which transducer you want to see.

Red Reno

Even the older units this will work. I have an 1199 SI/DI at the dash and a Helix 10 up front and can view the SI/DI on the Helix 10. It does need the hub and then make sure you go into the non SI/DI unit and “turn on” that screen so you can view them.

Walleye Hungry

Has anyone tried this with a G3N SI to a G4N Chirp/Gps (non DI or SI) unit? Im reading mixed reports

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

Has anyone tried this with a G3N SI to a G4N Chirp/Gps (non DI or SI) unit? Im reading mixed reports

Yes it does the Helix connected to the transducer processes the data and just shares the screen image.

Umy
    South Metro

I had posed a question earlier in the month about side imaging on a Gen 1 KVD model.
    Going to put my Gen 2 12″ CHIRP DI on the bow instead and run the 9″ side imaging on the dash.
    If I run a new Transducer ( the newer HD model – image attached) to the dash and use a Y cable to extend the transducer to the bow unit is that considered networking? Will I be able to share the SI image with the DI bow unit?

Attachments:
    1. XHS-9-HDSI-180-T.png

HMoshier

Networking is connecting two or more units via the ethernet cable or the HB network box. The boat I bought (used) had a Helix 9 Mega SI on the dash and a Helix 9 Gps on the bow. The bow unit would read SI, DI and 2D from the dash unit via the ethernet cable. I added my older Helix 10 mega SI to the dash and put the Helix 9 mega SI on the bow with a TM mounted transducer (not networked) so I could have SI on both ends of the boat. Well, the 10 lost the left side (typical) so now the 10 is on the bow, networked to the mega 9 on the dash. The 10 displays SI, DI and 2d fine from the 9 (rear transducer). I subsequently added a Garmin 106SV to the bow with a TM mounted transducer for front SI. (pic below)

You can only connect 2 HB units together with an ethernet cable. 3 or more require the expensive network box (including connecting a Minn Kota TM). A splitter cable won’t network two units. It only splits a transducer single. It does not share signals.

Clear as mud, huh?

Attachments:
    1. dual-bow-mount.jpg

Michael Best

No a Y doesn’t network the units you would need to connect the 2 units with an Ethernet cable. You would also need 2 adapter cables. One for each unit. The G2 DI unit can read SI but it has to be an N unit.
    I am not sure what a Gen 1 will share via networking.

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I had posed a question earlier in the month about side imaging on a Gen 1 KVD model.
    Going to put my Gen 2 12″ CHIRP DI on the bow instead and run the 9″ side imaging on the dash.
    If I run a new Transducer ( the newer HD model – image attached) to the dash and use a Y cable to extend the transducer to the bow unit is that considered networking? Will I be able to share the SI image with the DI bow unit?

What Gen is your 9? You cannot change transducers and have the unit change Generations so that will not work. No on the extended Y cable to the dash unit. The unit that is connected to the transducer processes the information then shares that screen to the other units either by a network hub or if running just 2 units and nothing else, then a network cable can be used to network the two units.,

Umy
    South Metro

Unfortunately I cannot see the 9″SI from the dash on the 12″ CHIRP DI on the bow by running the Ethernet cable there. Went back and checked emails and originally HBird said “the new XHS 9 HDSI 180 T will work with the Helix 9 SI GPS unit and no damage will be caused by using this transducer and you will be able to network with HELIX 12 DI GPS and share the SI and 2D sonar.”

After trying this and it not working the next response I got from Hbird online was that the two were not compatible. Image on the DI is terrible and useless. Spent two hours on the boat trying different combinations and yes, going back to default with no luck. Now going to try the DI on the trolling motor and run it straight to the 12″ on the bow. I could leave the two transducers mounted on the transom where they are and use SI for finding my spots and and then once there turn off SI and only use the DI when I’m fishing from the bow.

I am friggin confused. Bought the $55 dollar ethernet cable for this reason and another adapter to make it work.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.