Foster Ahrens

• smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Hey guys, A couple of years back I took the kids out to Foster Ahrens (please correct the spelling) ice fishing for trout.
    They had a blast catching trout through the ice!
    I wanted to ask Jake and the rest of the folks in Rochester if this is still being stocked, or if that was just a one time thing that was allowed to be slowly depleted? Has anyone fished it lately?
    Just somethin to talk about.
    John Eggers

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

oh yeah! ,foster arends its definetly still being stocked full of those big o’ trout.
    i haven’t been out for a while now, but earlier this year we caught quit a few out there. it does get fished pretty hard, and i’ve seen very few people ever throw back a fish from there. thats ok though, that’s why they stock it.

there was a big contest out there the fisrt Sat. in Feb. for kids. they put some in the day before the tourny so everyone could catch a few. i don’t know if they’ve dumbed any more in lately. it seems they stock it once month or so. that’s just a guess though?

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Thanks Jake, Theres something about catching trout through the ice. I might try and get up there some time this next week.
    I am glad to hear about the kids ice fishing contest.
    For anyone reading this: Foster Aherns is a revamped gravel pit at the north end of Rochester Mn.
    John Eggers

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

I haven’t fished it this season yet but last year they stocked it every week….like 500 lbs or so is what the guy said they dumped…the larger fish were brood stock that were no longer producing…

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Wow, Swany. 500 pounds is a lot of fish. I didn’t get the chance to get out, but with that type of stocking program, that little gravel pit merits dropping in a line. Have you noticed anyone fishing this in the summer?
    John

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

Yes they fish it quite a bit during the summer, spring and fall…Winter time is the quite time…at an average of 2# per fish thats only 250 per stocking…there is no reproduction….It’s only put and take so 250 fish really doesn’t go that far…I’m surprised you haven’t check this pit out yet John….I’ts really quite amusing to go out there and tie into some of these “worthless,non-bearing trout!”? I even took Dustin out there a couple of times…..For someone like us that understand trout behavior….(I’ve gone out their WAY to many times with a fly rod and just SMOKED them And watched the Shore fisherman watch in disbeleaf) give it a try some time…The spring is most fun……
    SWANY

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Sounds intriging, I’ll have to keep that in mind. I drive past there all the time, but it’s hard to stop in the middle of town when I only have a few hours and the moving water is calling.
    Maybe we can get together and stir up the water there sometime.
    John

swany
    Southeastern Minnesota.

I’ll keep A eye on Ice out and let you know!!! Right now I have April 12 on my mind and camping down at Whitewater….winter blues….almost gone!!!!!!!!!!!

smtroutchaser
    Minnesota

Swany, I was on whitewater Thursday, It was great!!! The day went by to fast.
    John

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.