Vermillion River trout fishing: What should I know

• richierch4

I am new to the site, and am new to fishing.
    Over Christmas, I visited friends in Ohio and went Steelhead fishing in some small streams near Lake Erie. You can say I’m hooked.
    So, I’m trying to figure out where I can do some similar fishing near my home in Hastings. I’ve heard the Vermillion River is good for trout fishing.
    So, can anyone help me out? Is the Vermillion good? If so, where? What would I need to get started?
    Guides: I’d be interested in hearing from you, too.
    If anyone could help me out, I’d really appreciate it.
    Thanks,
    Chad

d.a.
    Rochester, MN

I can’t speak for the Vermillion since I have never fished it – yes, there are trout in it. If you live in Hastings, you have several other options. One is to go south to Red Wing and fish Hay Creek. It’s a good stream with a healthy fish populations and plenty of good insect life. A friend of mine has a fly fishing shop right in Red Wing and is an expert on Hay Creek, as well as all of the nearby streams to the east. Your second option is to hop the border and hit the Rush River the Kinnie, etc. – all of the streams in western Wisconsin. They are as good as advertised.

mwchiefs
    Red Wing, MN

I completely agree with Dave. I’d hit the Rush. Fantastic fishing! If you need help finding it, just ask.

JimW
    SE MN

If you didn’t know, part of the Vermillion will become(if not already) designated Trout waters!

Keep the rods bendin’!!!

Jim W

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.