End of trout season

• TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Well,another stream trout season has came and went.Spent the last day of it with my son,on the south branch of the Root.We accessed the river a couple of miles downstream from Carimona and fished our way back up to the bridge there.The trout were very aggressive while the sun stayed hidden but as soon as the skies cleared,the trout stopped biting for the most part.It’s too bad the season doesn’t last a couple of weeks longer as the valleys were just beginning to show their autumn colors.All in all,a beautiful day on the Root.It’s time to change directions now for awhile.Let’s see,where is my bow?Do I need more broadheads?How about clothing?I love this time of year.Mike

JimW
    SE MN

Mike, no need to give up on the Root River valley quite yet. Catch and release smallmouth continues and can provide
    not only trophy sized smallies but the wonderful scenery as well.

That stretch you fished on the South Branch is one of my favorites. How far did you start down stream?

Jim W

TROUTMAN
    S.E.Minnesota

Hi Jim.We started at the access that is basically a set of stairs to get you over the fence,on c.r.12 I think it is.Right across from a rather run down farm and upstream from Carimona,about 2 miles.When you say it’s one of your favorites,are you talking smallies as well?Yes,it has occurred to me to try the Root for smallies but,I’m even more unfamiliar with it’s smallie haunts,than I am with trout.It would sure give a guy like me a good excuse to return to that beautiful country this time of year.Sent you a p.m also.Mike

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

i also was very sadend by the end of the trout season. i was out friday evening and fish winnebago creek. it was my first time fishing here and it definetly won’t be my last. there was a bigger concentration of trout in that stream than i’ve seen any where else all summer long. they were nice fish too. the average size being around 10-12″ and i saw SEVERAL OVER 20″ EASY . fish were going crazy over some kind of flying critter but i was catching them on a pheasant tail nymph so i didn’t even try dry flies. the only problem with the stream is it is very small. it is extreemly difficult to fish with a fly rod. the water was also very clear and the fish spooked very easily. there were only three spots that i could find that were deep enough and open enough that i could cast into with out spooking all the fish out.

i no it might be a little late but i encourge you to get out and try winnebago creek. it is probably better in the spring when the weeds aren’t to bad anyway.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.