Where’s a good spot to shore fish?

• brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

I’m looking for a good place to shore fish, I live in Eagan. Any help would be appreciated. Minnesota River.

larry_haugh
    MN

Black dog discharges on Black dog road…. The road is closed but you can walk down to them. Google earth will help you get a perspective.

Jakob
    Keymaster
    Rogers

What are you looking to target?

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

What little shore fishing I’ve done on the MN, I can tell you this much: if you fish the river’s edges you’re going to see more action than if you try to fish the main current. There seems to be a lot of fish holding in the first 10-20 feet out from shore.

Off Black Dog Road (which is the other end of Nichols Rd off 13 and Silverbell) is a popular spot where Black Dog Lake feeds thru a culvert into the river. Lots of action down there, be it cats, freshwater drum, walleye or smallie.

Along the river edges in Crosby Farm Park or up in Hidden Falls park are also popular spots. Lots of walleye, smallie, cat and freshwater drum up there, too.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

How the heck do I get down to that spill way? I’ve lived in Eagan for 15 years, be damned if I’ve ever tried to get down there.

armchairdeity
    Phoenix, AZ, formerly from the NW 'Burbs, Minneapolis, MN, USA

The dead-easiest way to get there is to take 35W north out of Burnsville to Black Dog Road. Take a right off the exit and you can’t really miss the spillway about a block down. It’ll be on your left.

The other way to get there is off 13 and Silverbell. Take Silverbell north off 13 and curve around till you get to Nichols. Take Nichols west almost all the way to 35W. This time it’ll be on your left.

dfresh
    Fridley, MN

There are two spillways at Black Dog if I am not mistaken, one close to 35W and the other close to 77. Kind of rocky and snaggy, but there are fish there. Actually, there are quite few good spots to walk into with pull offs all along Black Dog.

Just a note, you will see COs down there, so have your license handy!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.