Whoa – A report!

• rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

I’ve started to get back to the MN to see what might be shaping up for fall. Most of my usual haunts are high-n-dry, so a little searching was in order. I did finally hit on some fish on a rock bar just off the main channel. There was a little current, so I started working with jig/minnow combo. I tied into 4 ‘eyes, and an ungodly amount of sheepers. I switched to plastics, and caught 2 nicer ‘eyes…. the biggest going 24″ and HEALTHY. I also lost a nice fish…. never got a look at her…. but you know how the story goes. All in all…. the action was OK… a fish here, a fish there sorta thing. With the river temps falling… things will be picking up from here on out. Only a little over a month until the October full moon!! I have noticed that these fish react heavily to the full moon… so it’s only a matter of time before the big girls start chasing the shad reeeeeeeeal shallow.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Good to hear some kinda report from the MN. I made it down there about 2 months ago and found zip. Headed up river from fort snelling. There sure is not the type of structure you find on pool 2. The only thing I found close to a wingdam was a few short rock points maybe 20′ long at the most.
    Good to hear a better report from that area. I might have to try it again.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Hey Mike.
    Yeah, the MN is quite a bit different than Pool 2. There may be a few wingdams… but I’ve never seen one yet. My best advice right now is look for creek mouths that aren’t dry… heck…. any kind of inlet/outlet will do. There are some sections of rip-rap that may be good right now… but usually the current is just to fast.
    I will have more info to report as fall progresses.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.