Fall Walleyes!

• dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Well….perhaps the fall bite has started. I’m guessing the past cold snap must have given it a boost.

Papa Grump and I hit the river this evening to give it a go. We found a spot that had a little faster current and we were pitching black jigs/fathead at the seams.

Right away Papa hooked into a hog that tossed the hook at the boat. Then it was my turn. I hooked into two healthy PLUMP eyes.
    First was 22″ and the second was 6.5lbs (forgot length).

I couldn’t believe how fat these fish were!

Hopefully a sign of good things to come

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Very nice fish. Thanks for sharing. Its great to see the Minnesota River rebound like that after years of dumping into that river. Making plants clean up their act has paid off nicely as your fish have proved. Please feel free to share more about your fishing there and educate everyone about the fishery you are fishing. Thanks.
    Thanks, Bill

Moores Bait

So while Larry and everyone were up here having pizza you were down there catching dinner. Nice pics there drto, I have been keeping my eye on the MN posts wondering when the fish were going to bite. I guess I’ll have to break out the rain gear. Would still like to see if the cats are bitting, but eyes will do just fine…thanks again for the post and comming out this weekend……..

marendt
    Lake City, MN

Is it just me or does that second photo look like the walleye is smiling for the picture? Great photos.

illiniwalli
    WC Illinois

nice pics, for sure

i think that walleye is grinnin’ cause he knows he’s too big for the fryin pan.

i am itchin to get out soon on pool 18 or 19, but deer and turkey hunting is going to keep me off river until next wednesday.

millerman
    Red Wing, MN

Where were you fishing?

mpearson
    Chippewa Falls, WI

They look like footballs…they’re eating well. Nice job and nice pics!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Where were you fishing?

Minnesota River

larry_haugh
    MN

Dtro!!!
    You are the Man!
    Way to go on getting some chunkers on a beautiful day!!!
    Are we talking the same MN river south of the twin cities?
    Let me know when its my turn for a run with you.
    thanks for Sharing some great pics.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Let me know when its my turn for a run with you.

Got a RiverPro handy? We might need one

I sure would’ve liked to see Brian’s fish as it never came up just hung to the bottom, then spit the hook.

There are some real hogs to be had, just hard to find them. The fall bite is a chance to target them in specific areas where they will stack up and put on the feed bag. Not only does the weather have to cooperate, but the water levels need to be optimum (not too high) in order to fish these key locations. The conditions are getting good and hopefully better

I sure would like to hit that 30″ mark this year. I came close with a 29″ this spring, but not close enough.

What the heck am I saying? I’m a cat guy. I think these marathon sturgeon sessions have killed a few brain cells

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

What the heck am I saying? I’m a cat guy. I think these marathon sturgeon sessions have killed a few brain cells

Walleys have to fill the gap when the cats have slinked off else where.

I have to admit……. when you mentioned that you might be going fishing the next day after 14hrs of sturgeon fishing in less than ideal conditions on Sat. I was wondering if you had one to many Yaggers
    Though I have to say that I was a tiny bit envious of you afterI spoke on the phone with you when you two were out.
    Way to go again.

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Nice eyes Dtro. I fish the Minny in the fall quite a bit, but I will be limited in the areas that I can go this year with the water being so low and the boat I run. On Sunday, the water temp was 44 degrees where some friends of mine were fishing and they were only able to muster one.

It should get good from here on out though and I can’t wait for November down there.

Can I ask you what type of depth and structure you were fishing?

PapaGrump
    Belle Plaine MN

We were targeting 6-15′ with a rocky bottom , concentating on current breaks. Some of us around here have given the name of the place we were at as the “food shelf” when the river is at it’s lowest.I’ve fished it a few times before in the fall, but the water levels were a good 3-4 feet higher. We were kind of short on time and there is a few more areas like this I would have liked to try out, perhaps this weekend if I’m not playing farmer in the fields.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Nice eys pics dtro.

Its been awhile since I have been up the Mn lurking for a few walleyes. There are some brutes in there thats for sure.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Wandered in to a bunch of 19-20″ eyes on Sunday. When I say bunch, I mean in double digits.
    That was in a few hours, so I would call it a good to excellent bite.
    They seem to be concentrated on the fastest current in the area. If you can find fast main river current or even a fast moving inlet, there’s a very good chance you will find a few eyes hanging around. Most fish came with a standard jig minnow, we did get a couple on plastic only. Work those seams

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

Thanks Dtro! Think I’m gonna give er a go this weekend. Mississippi was good last weekend, now it’s time to catch fish closer to home.
    Still getting them fairly shallow?

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Fish still seem to be on a good bite. Been out quite a few times since the original post and have caught 10+ fish on each trip.

Black has been the color of choice. Tipped with plastic or fathead.
    Fish preferred a slow dragging presentation vs an aggressive jig.

Hope to get out a few more times.

I really…..really need a jet boat

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

For me they have been pretty hit or miss. One day you’ll go out and catch 6-8 fish, the next 1 or 2. Course I can’t make it too far past the landings with my boat. Maybe a quarter mile each way if you work at it. I have found that the afternoon/evening bite has been better than the morning-noon bite.
    Riverpro would be nice, just could never see myself buying one.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Hmmm I think we should be keeping our eyes on Mr. Dtro…as he’s going to top off his year with a 30″er before the ice comes!

Good Luck!

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

I hope he does. They are in there. I have seen them. Hopefully we get good ice this year.

Right now is just a bear and I can’t get to any of the spots I want to where the bigger fish hide. Just don’t feel like going through another lower unit.

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Quote:

Hmmm I think we should be keeping our eyes on Mr. Dtro…as he’s going to top off his year with a 30″er before the ice comes!

Good Luck!

I hope not! I’m trying to beat him to that fish! Game Dtro game on!

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

I’m trying to beat him to that fish!

Maybe you should try sabotaging my gear

PapaGrump
    Belle Plaine MN

Quote:

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Is Jonny stealing your lures…again?

larry_haugh
    MN

Quote:

Quote:

Easy Boys……. Dtro I got a feeling that your big one is out there with your name on it.
    Hopefully it will be bigger to top your 29.5 that you hooked earlier this year. (I think that I recall it being that big, geez you know your in trouble when you start embelishing other guys fishing stories)

PapaGrump
    Belle Plaine MN

Ok I’m all settled down now . Anyway Dtro and myself will be heading out tomorrow in search of his trophy eye. One of our fellow members from the cat league is on a search tonight and hope to have a report from him later on.

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

Quote:

I’m trying to beat him to that fish!

Did I hit that dang flame again?

Let’s change that to a rock on

dtro
    Inactive
    Jordan

Quote:

you know your in trouble when you start embelishing other guys fishing stories)

Tis no story. I actually was able to land one that size this year.
    Here’s the grainy pic to prove it

jonny p
    Waskish, MN

Fishhead and I may be on the river looking for 30. We may try some fresh spots incase the biggy is sitting somewhere peaceful and forgotten. Although with the cold I will be wearing lots of clothes to stay warm if we do go…and a kevlar vest incase Papa brings firearms.

PapaGrump
    Belle Plaine MN

Quote:

and a kevlar vest incase Papa brings firearms.

I wouldn’t get too nervous unless you think your a pheasant or a tree rat with a big bushy tail

I might have a little bit of that sippin’ solution along though that you would have to enjoy

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.