Ice fishing

• Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

I have been hearing some decent ice reports coming from the MN. Anyone now where the good ice is at? Rippinpigs, Have you been down to blackdog lately? Just looking for some info

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Glad you asked Mike! Yes, I had heard that there was a good bite going on further upstream, so on Wed & Thurs night I decided to give Blackdog a whirl. Fishing the west outlet both nights resulted in nothing, not even a bite. The east (my favorrite) produced 3 fish from 18-23″, and lost 2 others on Wed. The outlet was not kicking out very much, so I fished the downstream side, slowly rolloing a big Kalin tail in less than 6 feet of water. The ‘eyes would slam it! Then, 3 otters showed me up when the produced 2 ‘eyes in under 2 minutes closer to the discharge. There are fish there, just getting them to go is the problem.
    I was going to post a report, but wanted to give it another go verifying it wasn’t a “fluke”.
    Thurs eve, the discharge was kicking, so I started upstream. Nothing going. Moved to the downstream side, and only had 1 bite. I also had some fatheads that evening, so I tried both plastics and minnows.
    The higher flow moved them a little further out towards the main channel I believe.
    Anyways, I did have some luck.

I didn’t spot much ice around that area, but would be willing to give it a try sometime. Let me know what you dig up Mike!

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Gave the MN a shot yesterday down by Shakopee. Found pretty good ice, anywhere from 4-5″ was the norm. I fished an eddy area, and found the motherload….. of CARP! Oh-well…. they kept me busy, and on a jigging spoon no-less.
    I’m trying to find out more info as to where to go. I’m guessing the deeper pools will be the areas to hit, but I have limited knowledge of such areas beyond Shakopee.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Carp? sounds like fun on a short rod. I heard it might warm up this weekend. If I dont take the boat out I might be up for some ice fishing down there. Sounds like the ice has been producing on the croix also.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.