Welcome to FTR’s newest forum…!

• In-Depth Webstaff
    Keymaster

Just a little, short opening post to greet those interested in the addition of this MN River forum. It’s a little late in the year for cat talk but maybe we can pick up a few visitors willing to share some talk about the good walleye and sauger bite that takes place on the MN RIver each fall.

So, lets here it! How’s fishing?

vern
    Richfield, MN

Very cool! Thanks for adding the forum. I haven’t been on the Minnesota much since I put the cat gear away, but I hear the walleyes are biting. I’d like to hear some reports. Vern

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Hope to get some good info here on the MN also. Hey Dee Zee you ever head up the MN while fishing pool 2. I have shore fished a couple of times at black dog years ago. Heard some good cat and eye fishing reports coming from this river also. Dont think I will have time to try the MN this fall or else I would just to post a report.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Mike,

I have not spent that much time up in the Minnesota River. I have fished up 1/2 mile from the confluence pitching jigs in the flooded timber a few falls ago. Looks dynamite for this time of year but, I have not spent enough time up there yet……so many places and not enough time right? I will be heading to the confluence area sometime in the next few weeks and maybe make a small jaunt up the river a bit.

Sorry for the late reply. I get so antsy and flew right by this new forum. Very cool.

How far up is Black Dog?

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Great to see the Minnesota represented! I’ve been doing well… fishing outlets mainly. Caught the fish of a lifetime 3 weeks ago by Cedar ave bridge… 30.5″ 19″ girth. Estimated 12.7#!! Attached a pic of her!

Dave Koonce
    Prairie du Chien Wi.

whoo AAAA !!!

Nice fish there man !!

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

There’s a piggie. I thought I heard of a few of these coming out of the Minn. Under they cedar bridge. Is that where the power plant discharge is?
    Congrats. Rippinpigs. I think you have the first real fishing report on this forumn. Hope to see more and maybe post a few myself.
    Good luck fishing

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Nice fish guy!!

Give us the details!! Any story to tell with this fish?
    Congrats.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Thanks for the compliments guys!
    Of course theres a story behind the fish!
    I was fishing the discharge right by the Cedar ave bridge, and the action had been picking up at dusk. Wasn’t in my boat, just was fishing from shore pitching a 1/4 whistler jig and 4″ power grub. I missed a few, as they were hitting very light, but I did manage to land some, with nothing under 3#. Then she hit, in about 3 ft of water, 10 feet from shore. I never really got to fight her much, she came right to the surface and was just basically flopping around. It was plenty dark by this time, and I honestly thought I had snagged a carp. I fumbled to get my headlamp turned on, and when I did, I finally saw her! My eyes probably shot right out of my head! So now… I’ve gotta get this pig to shore (no net either). Managed to get her closer, but she did a big head shake, and the jig popped out!!! In the water I went… I guess it was just a natural reaction!!! Got her tail, and managed to get her head…. and pulled her out!! Thanks god she was so fat… the fish could hardly move!!!
    Anyways… I sat there in awe… I’ve never seen an ‘eye THAT big. Of course I didn’t have a camera NOR scale NOR measuring tape. To be honest… I never imagined I would catch a fish like that.
    So, I did keep her. I felt pretty bad about it, as normally I’m pretty much a CPR kinda guy, especially for the river fish. So… I ran to my parents house, got some pictures and measurements, and threw her in the freezer. She’s now down in Clarks Grove getting mounted.
    Question is… now what do I do???? I may never catch a fish that size again here in MN… I guess I may have to make my way to the Columbia next fall!

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Great Fish!!!!

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.
    Believe it or not, I believe Pool 2 is a host of many fish of that caliber, not down playing your fish whatsoever. But there are some true giants that swim the waters of the Mississippi and Minnesota rivers. I witnessed a shore angler wrestle a 14lb walleye to shore down river on Pool 2 a couple years ago. I have spoken to the DNR several times out on Pool 2 doing some shocking and netting and they have confirmed that there are some real giants swimming.

I know there there is all kind of talk that she should of went back in the water and so forth. Now days, a graphite repro is always a great alternative though too. I caught my biggest walleye of my life and I put her on the wall years ago, and since then I have been fortunate enough to catch a bigger fish than that every year after that. But they all go back in the water. I know what that fish on the wall means to me and all the memories that come with a gaze of the fish and I will never put another walleye on my wall. That is a trophy in any person’s book and I was and am still proud of that catch.
    Bottom line is that, I believe that more a time a person spends on the water, the more he/she learns and you become a more efficient angler and eventually you will be smarter to tip the odds in your favor, (ie…fishing Nov at night, pre-spawn walleyes, etc…)

Fish big fish waters, big fish times, and you shall eventually be rewarded.
    Nice catch.

chacago
    Apple Valley MN

Great reply, I always wonder about the Minn. I always run down to Red Wing. Maybe I’ll give it a try I only live 3 miles from it.

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Do those MN river fish taste any good? I would think that they might be a little muddy.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

Honestly…. I’ve never tried one. Some people do eat them, but for me it’s all C&R.

rippinpigs
    Apple Valley, MN

DeeZee-
    Question for you on the Mississippi (yeah… I know… wrong forum).
    Are they any spots a guy could fish from shore on Pool 2? I’m guessing there is a ton, but I put the boat away last weekend in storage. So… on foot I am. I’d just like some spots that might be good this time of year that I can access on foot.
    Thanks.
    oh yeah… if you’d prefer to just email me… its [email protected]

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

RippinPigs,

Here is a link that talks briefly about a few locations on 2.
    Some others are the dock under the 494 bridge (public access), and also from here there is a walking path that goes along the river downstream a bit and there is a culvert here that gets a fair amount of shore fishing and have done well just outside of this area from my boat after dark in the fall. Alot of the marinas are still ice free right now that could be fishable (Watergate marina), I am not sure if Hidden Falls park is open right now with the city redoing the ramp and parking lot, but this area gives up lots of locations to walk up or down the shoreline to fish current breaks. Some bigger fish have and will be making their movements upto within 2 miles of the dam. Under the HWY 5 bridge has been a good area for fall fish at night as well. This has a good sized eddy that can hold plenty of fish.

http://www.fishtheriver.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=pool4&Number=23463&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=all

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.