Southern Minnesota Lakes

• hv2fish06
    Allison,Iowa

Looking for a lake to hit Wednesday for walleye and pike? Was going to Pepin but think that will be out of the question. I live south of Mason City bout 45 miles and looking for a lake to go for walleye,pike or crappie in the 2 to 3 hour drive range? Any ideas will be great!

Bob Spitz
    Osage Iowa

Go to spirit lake and pull night crawler harness with leach. 15-20 fow

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

Madison…Crappies a few eyes
    Francis …pike and crappies
    Masaska…crappies and gills some eyes
    Roberts…walleyes and bass
    Cannon…a few eyes and some white bass
    Sakatah…pike (trolling) perch
    Hope this gives you some options
    no real “hot bite” just some fish being caught

DaveB
    Inver Grove Heights MN

Anyone fish Albert Lea lake? The DNR report shows an insane number of eyes of decent size.

rod-man
    Pine City, MN.

Quote:

Anyone fish Albert Lea lake? The DNR report shows an insane number of eyes of decent size.

A bunch of fish winter killed this spring showed upon shore.
    Guys I have talked with are only getting carp,sheepies and bullheads
    Same thing happoend on Lake Crystal too.
    BIG eyes (5-11lbs) dead at ice out.
    crappies and sunnies too

lhprop1
    Eagan

Tetonka is generally a pretty good walleye lake. I haven’t heard how they’ve been doing this year, though.

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

Rod-man,
    I work for the watershed district in town. That is completel false info. you got there. I am on the lakes everyday and there was absolutely no winter-kill of walleyes this year. The only thing I saw was dead carp on Goose Lake and Lake Chapeau.

I saw the DNR’s nets being pulled and yes there were a ton of walleyes, with atleast 4 year classes. The problem is that there is also an insane number of 4-6 inch perch in those same nets.

Area anglers are having a tough time catching the walleyes in Albert Lea this year. The water quality has been outstanding the past two summers, you can see the lake bottom all over (5 ft. max). I think this is making it almost impossible to catch them during the day.

If anyone has any further questions about the lakes I would be happy to answer them.

fireline
    Rochester

Jerad, How deep is that lake ?

jerad
    Otranto, IA/Hager City, WI

I am in the process of making a bathymetric map and the deepest I found was 6 ft., east of the state park (besides the channel).

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.