Park Rapids Area

• OldCoot
    Cedar Rapids, IA

I am going to be on a family vacation in the Park Rapids area the first week of June. We are staying on little Mantrap lake and would like to fish several area lakes. I would like to know if anyone has suggestions on any good bass lakes in the area (within an hours drive or less). Also, I will have my nephews along and would like to get them into some good bluegill and crappie fishing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old Coot

Pig-hunter
    Southern Minnesota

If you are looking for bass, I can help you with the smallmouths. Fish Potatoe lake in the summer on the reefs of the south arm. There are smallies there pretty much all year. We caught them on the beds one year and had a blast. I usually fish for walleyes when we are there but if you’re on Potato anyway, you could motor throught the channel to Eagle or even further down into Island. We have caught plenty of good crappies (10-11″)on Eagle and some on Island and Potato. Usually get enough during a week for about one or two fish fries but it you want, the little sunnies are pretty much everywhere in Eagle for the kids.

Good Luck, we will be up around the 4th of July for the annual vacation and will be doing lots of fishing.

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Another good bet would be Toad Lake. Big sunfish and Crappies and Bass are plentiful along the pencil reeds. It’s out on 34 West of Park Rapids about 16 miles. You’ll have to ask for directions because the landing is at the opposite end of the lake from the Hgy. Although there is a landing just off the hgy. at a place called the Northern inn. Good Luck.

clarence_chapman
    Hastings, MN Lake Isabel activist

Big Mantrap has some great gator fishing (Northerns and Muskies).
    It also has some evening crappie bites.
    Also has a public access next to the state park.
    The smallies on potatoe are also a good bet.

DeeZee
    Champlin, Mn

Old Coot,

We will be up within about 20 miles of where you are going on opener this year. If you are looking for a good bass lake, check out Many Point Lake. Lots of structure and plenty of deep water weed point and sunken islands.
    I know a few locals that say Many Point is one of the best bass lakes in the entire area!
    Good luck!

OldCoot
    Cedar Rapids, IA

To All,

Thanks for the suggestions, I’ll give them a try and report back in June.

Old Coot

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.