jason mitchell rod or thorne bros rod?

• sunnysmuggler
    metro area

I want to buy one of the two manufactures. Thorne bros quiverstick or the sweetheart. Or, Jason Mitchell meatstick. I want a rod that will last and i can fish outside with it and very sensitive. I am 13 years old and want some information.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

Thorne bros quiver stick or the sweetheart.

bullcans
    Northfield MN

Quote:

Thorne bros quiver stick or the sweetheart.

X2

BBKK
    IA

I would say the thorne bros also, which one depends on what lures you normally use. I have test drove them both and they are nice rods. Not the best IMO, but very nice and will catch you many fish in the years to come.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

What do you want to use it for? IMO the meatstick has two applications: panfish jigs or dead sticking walleyes. Fiberglass rods so they are durable but not sensative to touch. For the price you can’t go wrong with the meatstick. I have each of the rods in question and I use them both equally. I don’t feel like I’m walking on eggshells when I use the meatstick because of what I paid for it (sometimes I’m too protective of my TB rods). Thorne bros make a great rod and you won’t be sorry you paid for it. I also like to give the meatstick to less experienced friends I take out on the ice because of the durability and how easy it is to see the bite.

Tim J
    Duluth, MN

Just noticed your name is “sunny smuggler” so that answers my first question. You can’t go wrong with either rod, depends on what you can spend I think.

Mike W
    MN/Anoka/Ham lake

Look at the eyelets of the Jason Mitchell rods. If they are the small ones they freeze up fast and would stay away from them.

jigging_jag
    SE Minnesota

Ya know, TB rods are awesome but super expensive and as you know the better the graphite the easier to break as an unwritten rule. Not a huge fan of JM rods but they are cheaper and great for portable of fish house fishing not so much on ice (guide freeze). If your anal with your equipment like me TB is a good investment. If your the usually teenager don’t waste the extra funds (I’ve broke two) by others feet and stupidity. Not a cheap break I miss my rod more than my old fishing buddy

patk
    Nisswa, MN

Quote:

What do you want to use it for? IMO the meatstick has two applications: panfish jigs or dead sticking walleyes. Fiberglass rods so they are durable but not sensative to touch. For the price you can’t go wrong with the meatstick. I have each of the rods in question and I use them both equally. I don’t feel like I’m walking on eggshells when I use the meatstick because of what I paid for it (sometimes I’m too protective of my TB rods). Thorne bros make a great rod and you won’t be sorry you paid for it. I also like to give the meatstick to less experienced friends I take out on the ice because of the durability and how easy it is to see the bite.

x2 I’ve got both the 28″ meatstick as it’s a little more versatile(deadstick for walleyes) and a 24″. Personal opinion is that for the money it can’t be beat.

I pair it with a nice graphite rod. Some days I catch all my fish on the meatstick and some days they prefer the other. It’s still my go to to start most days. The one exception is if I’m bucket fishing and it’s reasonably cold out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.