GPS Depth Finders?

• irishman

I am looking to hear from some of you that have used and/or done research on the newer GPS Depth Finders on the market today. I recently bought a used 18 foot Lund Fisherman. I like to fish large water, small lakes and rivers (everything). I like to catch bass, crappies, catfish, sturgeon and walleye (everything). I have heard some talk about the newer HD depth finders and was hoping to get some thoughts and recommendations on the newer technologies. javascript:void(0)

FryDog62

I’m sure I’ll get push back here, but in my opinion Humminbird has lapped the field in the past couple years. First to offer side imaging, now adding 360 imaging, integration of the gps/trolling motor/mapping with iLink, etc.

If I were buying new right now I would want to make sure I had HD, side imaging, ability to link up to follow contours on my gps map at set speeds with the trolling motor, spot lock, etc. One company (Johnson Outdoors) owns all this integrated technology now instead of requiring buyers to purchase many separate expensive electronic items that don’t communicate with each other.

At a minimum I think you need to start with a Humminbird gps that ends with “98” (798, 898, 998, 1198). Even better if you can add Minnkota iPilot Terrova iLink trolling motor, and Lakemaster contour software. Some of us are waiting to see how helpful the 360 imaging turns out to be, but if its worth the $2k and you can afford it you can add it later to the above equipment….it won’t work on other brands of equipment.

I used the iPilot with spot lock, cruise control, record-a-track, etc last year and it was unbelievable. I could never go back to a trolling motor without these items – especially spot-lock.

You can buy all these pieces of equipment at once or each part of the whole equation individually as you can afford them knowing it will all link up as you add.

Probably a matter of time until Lowrance or Garmin catch up, but right now I believe this is the best set up for a new boat. Electronics are expensive and get dated in a relatively short period of time. Right now I think Humminbird/Minnkota/Lakemaster is on the leading edge and that’s where I’d spend my money.

bzzsaw
    Hudson, Wi

How much are you looking to spend? 500, 1000, 1500, or 2000 plus? That will dictate what features and screen size get recommended. If you are only looking to spend $500, it doesn’t make sense to recommend side imaging or a screen size bigger than 5 inches.

FryDog62

Agreed, depending on budget may limit what you want to buy.

That being said, he has an 18 foot Lund and fishes multiple waters so I’m thinking he might at least want decent equipment with the capability to add other pieces over time.

For my money I would at least spend the $800-900 to get the Humminbird 798 si. Yes you can pick up a down scan HD for $500 but I would spend the extra $350 and get something I could add on to later if I wanted to.

Personally I’d try to avoid the feeling later of sh*t, I’m stuck with an inferior unit now that I can’t upgrade around it very easily.

Here’s the best price I saw on the 798si:
    http://www.thedigitaloasis.com/HUMMINBIRD-798CI-HD-SI-COMBO_p_3824.html?utm_source=googlepla&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=407970-1&gclid=CPWglvaTz7QCFStgMgodq0MA0A

irishman

Thanks for the quick reply. I have an old Lowrance GPS depth finder. And I have a Trolling motor. But I don’t have the Minnkota iPilot Terrova with spot lock/anchor feature. I fished with a buddy last spring on the Rainy River and that anchor feature was sweet. So my first purchase this spring is going to be the iPilot Terrova. With an 18 foot boat will a 2-battery unit work for that boat or do I need the 3 battery unit? (The current trolling motor has 2-batteries. Not sure where I would put the 3rd battery.)

But the next item is the upgraded Hummingbird unit. I was fishing next to a boat on the Rainy River that seemed to be able to see the fish off to the side of them, on the river. They had a huge display on the dash of the boat. Some people have been telling me that you can not see the fish on these units, because the rivers have to much debris in them.

I talked to that boat and they sure sounded like they were seeing the fish. I did not get the make and model of the unit they were using, which was a big mistake.

What situations are you using these units in (Humminbird 798 si)? (i.e. rivers, deep lake water vs. dock fishing, seeing across sandy flats…)
    When is side imaging helpful?
    What is the best benefit of HD?
    Are you a able to pickout the fish?
    See schools of bait fish vs larger fish?

Did you say that the Minnkota iPilot Terrova will link with the Humminbird 798 si? What is the benefit of that? Does it have to do with following contours, reversing course, returning to a waypoint?

Thanks for your advice!

FryDog62

sent you a PM… -Fry

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.