MN/WI Border Water Regulation Review

• MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

This is the second half of the slide show I presented at the recent Walleye Searchers meeting in Rochester. It deals with some of the details of the border water regulations review we have been trying to get put together with Wisconsin for the last several years.

Just as a note the last several slides are specific to Walleye, but as is noted in the earlier portion of the slide show any review is intended to be very broad encompassing most if not all gamefish species on the border waters.

As always if you have any questions feel free to contact me.

Thanks,

Nick

I apologize for the difficulty with the background on the version of this posted yesterday. Should be good now.

Attachments:
    1. Border-Water-Regulations-Info-w-notes-1.pdf

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Thanks Nick!

Hopefully the two sides can “meet in the middle”. I’m optimistic!

Tom P.
    Whitehall Wi.

I could easily see better regulation on the Panfish side, to me a straight daily bag limit of 30 fish with possession of 60 total. I feel the 125 granted different species of fish is very extreme.

On Pepin would the slot for Walleyes really work that well with these fish growing so fast and the short life expectancy?

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I can’t begin to count the bodies of water that have slots which lead to just decimating specific year classes. It won’t be effective on P4, and I’m assuming the DNR knows that.

A bag limit reduction is what really needs to happen. I like a 2-fish limit of saugers and walleyes until the traditional “opener” date. Protect the spawners when they’re most vulnerable. After that, bump it up to 4 for the remainder of the calendar year.

The current fish population seems stable, but I’d rather be proactive to protect it than reactive after the fact.

Tim Bossert
    Cochrane, WI

Great information, as usual. Looking forward to border states working together to manage the body of water instead of their state’s interests.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.