MN no trespassing signs

• Reef W

I would guess that people who nitpick signs aren’t going to obey them anyways but I’m looking for recommendations on what I should get for a wooded area.

Is a simple sign that says “POSTED NO TRESPASSING” fine or is it better to have one that also lists extra stuff like “hunting, fishing, traapping or trespassing for any purpose is strictly forbidden”?

Is there any reason I would want my phone number on them or should I just sign them?

If you have a recommendation on where to order them too that would help, I’m going to get about 20.

munchy
    NULL

In case you didn’t see, there are requirements for signage in MN

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/trespass-law.html

Landowners, lessees, or authorized managers need only post their land once a year. The signs must be placed at intervals of 1,000 feet (500 feet in wooded areas) or signs may be placed at primary corners of each parcel and at access points to the property.

Signs must state “No Trespassing,” or similar words, in 2-inch high letters and have either the signature or the name and telephone number of the landowner, lessee or manager.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

I’ve always thought “posted” and “no trespassing” was redundant on the same sign but it’s very common.

Reef W

I’ve always thought “posted” and “no trespassing” was redundant on the same sign but it’s very common.

Yeah, I don’t know why it says both, that was just an example of one I found that had at least 2″ letters as required.

deertracker

In your looking have you found any websites that have them for a good price or are you buying local? In years past we have just printed them off for the gun season but would be nice to find steel/aluminum/plastic ones so it’s not a yearly task.
    DT

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

The paper and plastic ones are good for about a year given the Minnesota elements. Then there’s bullets and birdshot. I think the investment of metal signs and T-posts would be worth it in durability.

Reef W

I think the investment of metal signs and T-posts would be worth it in durability.

Hmm, I’ll have to count a bit more accurately before ordering metal ones. Not very expensive to just put those on the corners or main spots though, thanks.

Musky Ed

In Wi. we are smart enough to realize that if it’s not your land, or it’s not state or fedral land, you just don’t trespass. Unless your my neighbor that is, as they felt that all of my lands are theirs, as they lived here longer. That ended though, after I had the sherrif ticket one of his sons.

riverruns
    Inactive

In Wi. we are smart enough to realize that if it’s not your land, or it’s not state or fedral land, you just don’t trespass. Unless your my neighbor that is, as they felt that all of my lands are theirs, as they lived here longer. That ended though, after I had the sherrif ticket one of his sons.

And that’s how it should be. If you need to go on the land contact the landowner in advance. We have an awesome relationship with all our neighbors. A few we have never met but have gotten their phone numbers and spoken to them. All stays good.

We don’t really have issues with outsiders coming in. Wisconsin laws are different though. We don’t need to post our land if it’s private land.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

I got some aluminum signs when I first bought my farm about 10 years ago and replaced all the signs with those. For the life of me I don’t recall where I got them. Amazon? Menards? Can’t remember. I also put up some plastic signs because I ran out of the aluminum ones.

Bottom line is the plastic signs have lasted just as long. The aluminum signs are all there, but the paint faded so bad they aren’t that readable anymore. The plastic signs look good still.

The big thing that I think I accidentally did right was that I glued the plastic signs on to treated plywood backing with some construction adhesive. Then I screwed them up with stainless screws. If you just staple the signs on the backer board, the staples rust within a year or two and the signs fall off. And if you use regular screws in green treated wood, the chemical in the wood eats the screw.

BTW, I talk to hundreds of hunting property owners every year in 5 states across the north/midwest. According to customer reports, Wisconsin is second only to Illinois as far as trespassing and theft complaints I hear about. Theft seems to be a HUGE issue in Wisconsin, lots and lots of theft of cams, stands, equipment, electric fence modules, etc. Seems like certain areas of WI, the local dirtbags know where all the leases and non-resident owners are and they know these are easy target properties for poaching, theft, etc.

I say this only to tell guys don’t get complacent thinking that just because nothing has happened on your property, that nothing can ever happen. Use hidden security cams, lock gates, chain up stands, etc, etc.

Grouse

river rat randy
    Hager City WI

There is land owner here not far from Maiden Rock Wi. Posts his wooded land in a way i have never seen before. He has home made signs with only one word on them.. “NO” . rrr

Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

There is land owner here not far from Maiden Rock Wi. Posts his wooded land in a way i have never seen before. He has home made signs with only one word on them.. “NO” . rrr

There are a lot of trespassers who can’t read a normal trespassing sign so I’d have to assume they can’t read “no” either.

deertracker

I did see some that were a stop sign. Universal sign that everyone knows.
    DT

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.