MN HS Hockey Tourney Time

• Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Perhaps one of my all time favorite sporting events to follow and watch. Even surpassing most any college and professional sports.

The field is set now. Some new schools…and some “regulars”. roll

Although strange with no Hermantown?

Not near as many “cities” private schools this year which I’ve always had disdain for. mad

Every year there also seems to be some side story motivating one or more of the teams. Remember Benilde-St.Margaret’s? whistling

This year, one to follow…Mahtomedi goalie shuts out Totino-Grace to earn the berth to state. He’s a freshman and started the season last fall on the bantam team. applause

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

On a members continued reminders I pulled out a second mortgage on the house to pile it all on Hermantown. crazy I was sure after they blew through the state tournament they would immediately issue a challenge to U of M Duluth, St. Cloud & even the Wild. lol

Just kidding, I always look forward to this tournament every year. applause applause

deertracker

I’m not going to make it this year. frown
    DT

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I was really rooting for Andover to make it this year. Kind of a downer how they lost to East on Thursday night. Planning on going fishing on Friday so I’m not sure how much of the semifinal I’ll be able to catch.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I was really rooting for Andover to make it this year. Kind of a downer how they lost to East on Thursday night. Planning on going fishing on Friday so I’m not sure how much of the semifinal I’ll be able to catch.

Yeah, Andover was the favorite…defeated East earlier this year. But, ya know…the Greyhounds are, well…the Greyhounds. They are who we thought they were. lol

Friday night’s semi’s are at 6 and 8. Find yourself a pub for a burger and beer after fishing for some “can’t miss” entertainment!

Jamin
    Hudson, WI

Happy to see White Bear back in it for the first time since 2011!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I doubt anyone will beat Edina in class AA. Minnetonka was the one team that could and they lost in the sections.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

But, ya know…the Greyhounds are, well…the Greyhounds.

Apparently some very stong opinions were formed about Mike Randolph at that game. He’s not exactly the most ethical guy around. Win at all cost I guess.

deertracker

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

Apparently some very stong opinions were formed about Mike Randolph at that game. He’s not exactly the most ethical guy around. Win at all cost I guess.

Please share. I didn’t see the game.
    DT

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I wasn’t there either but I’d prefer not to share. Too much hearsay to be specific about the game.

I do know however he has his team practice in Amsoil Arena for much of the month of February. Section games are supposed to be a neutral site.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I remember when I was a kid in the 60’s & 70’s the hot rumor was Hill Murray was a recruiting factory.

People have been pissing & moaning about hockey programs since the beginning of time. Nothing new to see here.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

North Branch? (Lol I have some history with them, as an opponent). Good for them.

I also love this tournament. I’ll take it over any other pro or college playoff series…ok, minus the Super Bowl!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Walleyestudent Andy Cox wrote:</div>

Yes, I did catch wind of that…not at all a humble or respectful reaction. Damn cocky for the most part. Hard to like that program, although?

Maybe his method of motivating a team with less talent to win at all costs. shock

Bring on the drama… peace

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

I remember when I was a kid in the 60’s & 70’s the hot rumor was Hill Murray was a recruiting factory.

People have been pissing & moaning about hockey programs since the beginning of time. Nothing new to see here.

Except Hill Murray is not in it this year. whistling

gonefishin

Hi how many of you have tickets to the semi finals and finals? Anyone have extra tickets?

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Are you referring to class A or class AA? You can
    get class A tickets for any session/game at the door. Class AA will be a lot harder to find. There is a waiting list for season tickets and the schools are each allotted an amount too. Your best bet for class AA might be to buy some from a scalper outside the door to be honest.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

Is there any option to watch streaming??? I always enjoyed it when I lived in western WI to be able to watch it… and of course, I am now in Northern WI, so out of tv markets that I can watch…

Mark

gonefishin

Hi,

Yes you can stream at https://www.prepspotlight.tv/MSHSL/GameStream.

Referring to Class AA. Yes I am on the waiting list for AA season tickets which is currently at 8 years.

FYI for those not in the know, for Class AA semi/final there are never any tickets available to the general public unless schools in the tourney turn in some of their allotted tickets. So in the state of hockey, unless you were grandfathered in which started back in 1956, the only way to get a ticket is if some are turned in and then you need to stand outside at the Excel prior to the session semi/final with the hope that some tickets become available.

Yup and isn’t that crazy that someone can be grandfathered in, meaning they get a chance for tickets each year to do as they please, and yes scalp if they so choose while there is an 8 year waiting list.

mbenson
    Minocqua, WI

gonefishin:

Thanks for the info regarding the streaming!!! Not surprised on the tix situation, either!!! It is a one-of-a-kind sporting event!!!

Mark

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

If this isn’t an ironic or mixed thought process. There was one year I had pneumonia, another year a horrible flu with bronchitis adding to my horror, and another year with broken ribs from falling on the ice. Couldn’t bend over to pick anything off the floor, had to sleep in a recliner, and had a urine bottle next to me so I didn’t have to cry my way to the bathroom.

All were a journey on the dark side of pain and misery, however each time coincided with the State HS Hockey tourney day games.

Few times in my life has such misery been rewarded with being forced to stay home and watch the all the games on TV.

How could I have been so lucky? yay

Hoyt4
    NULL

Will be at Class AA all weekend. Season tickets since the 60’s transferred over the first year you could from my grandfather to me. One of the best times of the year.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I doubt anyone will beat Edina in class AA. Minnetonka was the one team that could and they lost in the sections.

Edina is going down like free beer in the first game. Moorhead is going to wipe the ice with them!

There you go, let the crap talk begin smash woot

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

Yeah, well Hill is still stealing players from Stillwater, dang it anyhow!!!

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Blaine goalie is my son-in-law’s nephew. Great kid and will be a lot of fun to watch him play. I haven’t been to the tournament for many years so looking forward to going Thursday.

Go Bengals!

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Edina is going down like free beer in the first game. Moorhead is going to wipe the ice with them!

There you go, let the crap talk begin smash woot

I will re-visit this email on Thursday evening after the Hornets beat the snot out of Moorhead. It won’t even be close. (and just to clarify, I am NOT an Edina fan, in fact I despise them but I know a good team when I see it)

shady5

On a members continued reminders I pulled out a second mortgage on the house to pile it all on Hermantown. crazy I was sure after they blew through the state tournament they would immediately issue a challenge to U of M Duluth, St. Cloud & even the Wild. lol

Just kidding, I always look forward to this tournament every year. applause applause

This whole thing has to be rigged with H-town losing to Greenway???!!! We just beat them 4 – nil a month ago…. we beat Cathedral and Mahto too, so it’s likely it’s a conspiracy by the MSHSL to give someone else a chance.

I agree, we should be playing D1 teams anyway! smile

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Ya maybe stay with the high school teams until you can beat them. wink

shady5

Playing it safe is for people from Princeton.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

At least the State of Hockey FINALLY has a trophy worthy of the best HS hockey tournament in the nation. Over 30 years ago, I complained to the MSHSL that our “rubber stamp” one-size-fits-all GeneraTrophies were a disgrace to the state. Winners of soccer tournaments for 9year-olds g0t a better trophy than those stupid black plaques from 1978.

The Eveleth Trophy finally will be a reward worthy of the tournament. The fine people of Eveleth have once again done something wonderful for the State of Hockey by donating use of the trophy.

Grouse

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.