MN HS Hockey Tourney Time

• belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dutchboy wrote:</div>
    I remember when I was a kid in the 60’s & 70’s the hot rumor was Hill Murray was a recruiting factory.

People have been pissing & moaning about hockey programs since the beginning of time. Nothing new to see here.

Except Hill Murray is not in it this year. whistling

Courtesy of White Bear Lake, you’re welcome. yay

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

How about the 75 Greatest High School Hockey Players, I have a disagreement with Phil Housley at #2 and Neal Broten At #4 shouldn’t they should be flip flopped?

Youbetcha
    Participant
    Anoka County

White Bear will pull it off toast

CaptainMusky
    Participant

How about the 75 Greatest High School Hockey Players, I have a disagreement with Phil Housley at #2 and Neal Broten At #4 shouldn’t they should be flip flopped?

#1 gets announced tomorrow. Is it going to be Dave Spehar? Probably the best from a Tourney performance, man that kid was electric.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jeff_huberty wrote:</div>

#1 gets announced tomorrow. Is it going to be Dave Spehar? Probably the best from a Tourney performance, man that kid was electric.

waytogo

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

How about the 75 Greatest High School Hockey Players…

A fantastic list that doesn’t suffer from recency bias. Players like Rube Bjorkman, Willard Ikola, and John Matchefts, Antonovich, Williams, etc absolutely deserve the high spots they were given.

Terrific research and obviously put together by people who really know hockey.

Grouse

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo waytogo

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

Anybody here ever play in the tourney? I played for Highland Park in 75-76. Went undefeated and lost to Mpls Southwest in the final to get there, a heartbreaker!
    Grand Rapids was a powerhouse in those days.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

I played for Highland Park in 75-76.

As far as I’m concerned, the 1970s was the best decade of the tournament. The north powerhouse programs were still there, like the Rapids, and the south was of course on the rise.

I first attended the Tournament in 1978. Even as a kid, it was like visiting a frozen version of Hollywood. It was a who’s who of the hockey universe combined with everybody who was anybody from Minnesota. I remember once the seats behind us were vacant at the start of the game, but then I turned around and Governor Al Quie and his group had moved in and the Governor was sitting directly behind me. At period break I asked him to sign my program, which seemed to surprise him and he said he’d never been asked to give an autograph at the tournament before because he was the least famous person there.

In the 1980s, we had access to the hospitality areas and of course, Brooks was there sometimes. I asked a man who turned out to be a scout if he thought Brooks would give me an autograph and he said Herb Brooks “was best met at a great distance.” I took that as a “no”.

The worst part of the tournament in the 1970s and 80s was that gawdawful Civic Center and those clear plastic boards. Anyone else remember that setup?

If there was a hockey setup in Minnesota of that size that was a worse place to play or watch hockey, I’d like to know what it was. I have never wanted to be there to watch the demolition of a building before or since, but I’d have loved to see that crappy arena hit the dirt.

Grouse

philtickelson
    Inactive
    Mahtomedi, MN

I love the state hockey tournament, but my god, could someone please create a better website for the mshsl? What an absolute disaster to find anything on there.

Surely there are enough wealthy high school hockey fans that someone would donate a couple 100k to create a more intuitive/well designed site.

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

Clear boards were the best.

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

I love the state hockey tournament, but my god, could someone please create a better website for the mshsl? What an absolute disaster to find anything on there.

Surely there are enough wealthy high school hockey fans that someone would donate a couple 100k to create a more intuitive/well designed site.

Agree, it’s abysmal.

wormdunker
    Participant

MNhockeyhub.com

The MSHSL is the biggest stuffed shirt collection of human waste in our education system. That is all.

I was quite happy with the MSHSL website when my kids were in school because I realized if it were to improve, it would only cost us all more tax dollars.

gonefishin
    Participant

Yes the MNHSL is really a monopoly with control of HS sports in MN and from research I have done and with communication with the MNHSL is the only one of this type in U.S. They have ultimate power over everything.

Their website is geared towards their operations and member schools and not for the general public. Good luck trying to find on their website that getting tickets to boys AA semis/finals is only for the good old boys network and that to get into the good old boys net work there is an 8 year waiting period.

To those of you have season tickets, it really pisses me off that you get the tickets year after year while the rest of us only have a chance in case some member tournament schools turn in some tickets in which case they go on sale at the Excel Ticket Window prior to the game. So get this, if your from outside the metro area, your only option to get tickets is to travel to the Excel, get in line and wait outside in the cold, and then hope some tickets are available and that you are there early enough to get tickets. They only announce the availability of these tickets at the previous sessions game.

What a crock of poop, in the state of hockey the general public is basically locked out of getting tickets.

Anyone with season tickets care to have a discussion on this topic or are you all just fat/dumb and happy you have tickets.

Hoyt4
    Participant
    NULL

Fat dumb and happy I have tickets.

jeff_huberty
    Inactive

How about the 75 Greatest High School Hockey Players…

A fantastic list that doesn’t suffer from recency bias. Players like Rube Bjorkman, Willard Ikola, and John Matchefts, Antonovich, Williams, etc absolutely deserve the high spots they were given.

Terrific research and obviously put together by people who really know hockey.

Grouse

Yep, it sure stired old memories reading that article.
    Would be fun to see a follow up on story on the top 75 lines.

N.Broten- A.Broten & Bustsy Erickson
    Spehar- Loche- & ?????

DaveB
    Participant
    Inver Grove Heights MN

EP grad from back when their hockey and football teams couldn’t win a game but at least you could snowmobile all around town. I see they are back in the tourney, ho hum.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Participant
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

East Grand Forks and SCC advance, no surprises there… coffee

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

Delano & Greenway was obviously the most exciting game yesterday. That Lawson kid is a point scoring machine.
    Excited for AA to start up today.

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

Man alive, 19 trips for WBL and 19 quarterfinal losses. It was a very entertaining game with close stats. It came down to the Blaine goalie.
    Another consolation championship?

deertracker
    Participant

What “statement” did the announcer apologize for after the Lakeville game?
    DT

belletaine
    Participant
    Nevis, MN

What “statement” did the announcer apologize for after the Lakeville game?
    DT

I’m wondering the same thing. I don’t recall anything other than great hockey.

deertracker
    Participant

Apparently he made a comment about getting a Lynch rope. Not sure what the conversation was about. That’s what my buddy just texted me.
    DT

Jake
    Participant
    Brainerd

Apparently he made a comment about getting a Lynch rope. Not sure what the conversation was about. That’s what my buddy just texted me.
    DT

Someone needs to find this. I was wondering what he said as well.

waldo9190
    Participant
    Cloquet, MN

What a game. I was listening to that one. Some of the best play by play in a while.

Also, hey St. Thomas moon

Edit: Is there a crow-eating button?

sticker
    Participant
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    I doubt anyone will beat Edina in class AA. Minnetonka was the one team that could and they lost in the sections.

Edina is going down like free beer in the first game. Moorhead is going to wipe the ice with them!

There you go, let the crap talk begin smash woot

I will re-visit this email on Thursday evening after the Hornets beat the snot out of Moorhead. It won’t even be close. (and just to clarify, I am NOT an Edina fan, in fact I despise them but I know a good team when I see it)

I wouldn’t say they beat the snot out of them, but… Moorhead played very sloppy hockey and “#1” Edina barely beat them. They may be ranked #1 but if they play like that tonight they are done like a dinner.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Holy. effen. Hell. How did that article ever make it in ANY (City pages is a joke) print? WOW. “Even the Bear is white.” Are you Effen kidding me? Is this for real? I guess it would make sense for WHITE BEAR lake to have a black bear as their mascot…

blackbay
    Participant

John Mayasich in as number one all time Minnesota HS player.

FWIW the golden years of HS hockey was when there was one bracket, and teams like International Falls, Roseau, Greenway, Grand Rapids, Warroad and even Rochester teams would come to the Cities and show the cake eaters what hockey was all about.

JoeMX1825
    Participant
    MN

I only posted it as it had the video/audio of what folks were asking about…

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 67 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.