MN Fishing Opener Roll Call

• deertracker

I’ll be staying home and fishing the Alexandria area. I have it narrowed down to possibly 3 lakes. That might change though. doah
    DT

luttes
    Maplewood/WBL

This will be my first walleye opener going up north. Buddy invited me to his family cabin near longville and i am beyond excited. I’ve never really stayed on the water and been able to jump in the boat and go, always have had to, at a minimum, drive to a landing, launch, then figure stuff out. Looking forward to this weekend!

TH

I’ll be home. First year to call Brainerd lakes area home. Try the lake I live on. Hopefully pick up some walleyes. No sure the tactic yet. Of course there’s always trout fishing in the pits.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I’ll be in St. Lucia. It’ll likely be the best opener I’v ever had.

LOTW the following weekend.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Prior Lake for bass and maybe steal some of Frydog’s white bass thunder….

Matt I spent my honeymoon on St Lucia. Amazing place.

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Prior Lake for bass and maybe steal some of Frydog’s white <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass thunder….

When are you going to learn that opener is for walleyes?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

Prior Lake for bass and maybe steal some of Frydog’s white <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>bass thunder….

Can’t wait….first time down there. Leave tomorrow very early. I have the travel rod with, too!

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

When are you going to learn that opener is for walleyes?

Never. Can’t stand trash fish…… mrgreen

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>mahtofire14 wrote:</div>

Can’t wait….first time down there. Leave tomorrow very early. I have the travel rod with, too!

Oh man, you’ll love it. Absolutely beautiful place with a lot of fun stuff to do. We did a zip line tour through the jungle and it had like 5 huge zip lines and you repelled down two waterfalls also. Was a blast.

michael keehr

Mille lacs as usual for me. Will see if I can find the crappies on Friday walleyes can wait till am Saturday I can’t get dad to go at midnight anymore.

hillhiker
    SE MN

Pool 3 The real question is if I’ll be out at midnight for the full opener experience.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I can’t get dad to go at midnight anymore

I used to do the midnight thing at Mille Lacs. Went for 10 years straight at midnight and quit when the sun started to come up. Some fishing was poor, some was good, and a couple years were really good. The worst part is driving home for an hour afterwards. It’s just too dangerous now and the risk of falling asleep at the wheel is too much.

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

Will be our 17th year straight on Mille Lacs at 12:00. Should be a fun weekend. This year will be different as I moved in to the cabin we always rented as my new home. Good luck everyone!

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

2nd weekend is always my opener. Mille lacs if there’s light wind, otherwise leech.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Last year we fished mille lacs from midnight till about noon. Ended the day with like 4 inches of snow in the boat. Tested the girlfriends skills and and she made the cut lol

Opie
    Coon Rapids, MN

Vermillion, west end. This will be my 40th year at the same resort. Looks like great weather. This year, I am going to go all artificial, no live bait unless I am getting schooled.

Bob Ford
    West Side Mille Lacs Lake

Last year we fished mille lacs from midnight till about noon. Ended the day with like 4 inches of snow in the boat. Tested the girlfriends skills and and she made the cut lol

we did the same however were in bed at 5am. Woke up at 8 and saw the neighbors shoveling there boats out. Went back to bed. Next couple days after were lights out for us

queenswake
    NULL

Count me as one who wishes I had an opener tradition. No cabins in the family, etc. I savor reading all of the articles and posts about that this time of year. I can live vicariously through this.

However, I will be out this weekend in the west metro. Crappies on Friday and probably more of the same on Saturday. Often run into the walleyes anyway.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Roosie –
    Will try to snap my loosing streak.
    Blanked 4 years in a row on walleyes. redface

Trev
    Battle Lake, MN

Otter Tail. 27 years and counting

Netguy
    Minnetonka

I’ll be fishing a lake near Kingston.

My dad grew up just north of Kingston. Never fished in that area. Hunted deer and pheasant a lot.

Heading to the family cabin on Fish Trap Lake near Cushing/Motley

My mom’s family had a cabin on Fish Trap on the south end right next to Sweetwater Resort from the 40s to the 60s. That’s where I started fishing. Haven’t been on it since 1968.

I’ll be fishing a small lake between Alex and Fergus with a friend I’ve known since 4th grade (1968), then it’s up to Deer River area the next week: Bowstring, Red, Winnie, etc., with other friends I’ve known since the 70s and 80s.

Tommy

I’ll be on the West end of Vermilion as well. First opener up there. Hoping to buy a cabin in that area next year, so hopefully the first of many.

mn-z
    Stark, MN

Fishing in my back yard on Goose Lake. Walleyes and crappies with the wife!

eyekatcher
    Lakeville, MN

21st year camping in Voyageurs on Kabetogama.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Fishing in my back yard on Goose Lake. <em class=”ido-tag-em”>Walleyes and <em class=”ido-tag-em”>crappies with the wife!

Your just a few miles from me. Ever go to the full moon ?

crossin_eyes
    Lakeville, MN

Red Lake again for our group this year. We skipped last year due to COVID and stayed around the Metro, but this year 6 of us are getting the band back together. One of the guys has a hunting cabin 30 minutes north of Deer River so we stay there and make the drive up to Red Saturday and Sunday. Bonfires, Beers, and Fish Fries in the evenings. Can’t wait!

weedis
    Sauk Rapids, MN

Staying around home and fishing with old man and brother who is flying in from the State of Washington. Its been a while since we have all been in the same boat together. Not sure the lake yet. Possibly get the kids out at some point too during the weekend, troll from some rainbows that are stocked in a local lake amd normally easy pickings this time of year.

suzuki
    Woodbury, Mn

Red Lake again for our group this year. We skipped last year due to COVID and stayed around the Metro, but this year 6 of us are getting the band back together. One of the guys has a hunting cabin 30 minutes north of Deer River so we stay there and make the drive up to Red Saturday and Sunday. Bonfires, Beers, and Fish Fries in the evenings. Can’t wait!

And guns. Dont forget the guns…….

mn-z
    Stark, MN

Your just a few miles from me. Ever go to the full moon ?

All the time We Were just there last Saturday night!

gizmoguy
    Crystal,MN

Opener is a hit and miss thing for me. I hate rookie day. Mostly I watch the weather in deciding if I will partake in the annual event. With the current weather/wind forecast I plan to leave tonight and head to Rainy lake. Just me and the dog. Sun, good temps and low winds should make for a great couple of days hunting trophy nortons. Then I will open walleye, Sat morn, on LOTW. I’m guessing outside the gap and along pine island. After getting a fishing report from my buddy odds are I will head to Red midday Sunday as everyone else is packing up to leave. Maybe hit Mille Lacs on the way home Monday. Depends on the winds. The weather/winds start to change up Sunday night. My current setup allows for this kind of mobility.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20190607_194813-scaled.jpg

Viewing 30 posts - 31 through 60 (of 72 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.