Running Water

• fluff47
    NE Nebraska

Back up on the river Saturday, more of a pleasure trip than anything serious, but did catch a few smallies. Nothing like they were last weekend though. The bite was either off or they’ve moved again.

With all the water they are running right now there’s lots of room for them to roam. We took along a picnic lunch to take a break on a sand bar and wound up eating it in the boat. Couldn’t find a sand bar if you can believe that?

All in all It was a good day, no walleye but then we didn’t try that hard, enough smallies to keep thing interesting, and a boat load of cats at the ramp for some guys running lines. Those must be bitting if you know where to look.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Quote:

With all the water they are running right now there’s lots of room for them to roam. We took along a picnic lunch to take a break on a sand bar and wound up eating it in the boat. Couldn’t find a sand bar if you can believe that?

Wow! It must be running really high. Makes it tougher for sure.

Fluff, are you still planning on fishing the Missouri River Open? Have you heard anything back from them yet? I haven’t received any confirmation and sent my form in several months ago. I thought they would send confirmation but maybe they just wait until the dinner???

fluff47
    NE Nebraska

I haven’t entered yet. Plan to start checking out some of our old spots in the next 2 weeks. We’ll decide on entering after we know if we’ve got enough fish to make a run for 1st.

Can tell you they are ready to go as far as I know. We’ve got several guys from our club that usually fish it and 2 who bring the scale and help with weigh-in. I fish with a brother to one of those guys on the weigh-in and they’ve all still got it marked on the calendar.

They’ve got a web site at http://www.bassaction.com you might find more info on. A quick look just now and I found an email to [email protected] for questions maybe they can tell you more. I did see where date of entry determines starting position so if you got in months ago you should have a low number.

Let me know what you find out.

Fluff

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks Fluff! To be fair to all the tourney anglers and my partner, I won’t be reporting on any bass fishing on the river for the next three weeks but I will say there is a TON of baitfish in the river right now. That’s good for building fatter fish but it sure makes the bite tougher.

Under the subject of odd river observations, I have never seen so many little gar in the river as I saw last week either. It seems like there are hundreds of them everywhere you go. If any wanted to get their kids in on some active fish, these little gar would do the trick!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.