MO River Springfield to Verdell

• fluff47
    NE Nebraska

I was up last weekend to look things over, check out the delta into Lewis & Clark lake, and start finding my way around for next years B.A.S.S. Divisional Tournament. For anybody headed that way there’s not much water. You can’t get a boat in at Running water at all, Verdell’s accessible but that’s it, and Springfield has water, held back from Gavins, but nothings coming down so its muddy. I caught some bass up above Verdell where the water’s cleaner but only one small pike in the mud down by the lake.

If anybody’s got a lock on the river from Springfield SD on up I wouldn’t mind pick’n your brain. I’m no stranger to the area but wont turn down any extra info I can come up with. I just won this years NE B.A.S.S. Federation State Tournament at Truman Res so will be on our Divisional team next year when Nebraska hosts it on the river. One lucky guy from that team moves on to Nationals and that’s one feather we’d all like to add to our cap. If you’re an old river rat from that area or know of one I sure like to visit.

Thanks, Fluff

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Fluff, Was the bass fishing pretty good above Verdel? I’ll be up to Lewis and Clark in two weeks for a family trip. I hope there’s more water then. I’d like to hit Verdel for a day, with my father-in-law.

eronningen
    Rochester, MN

I was their for the divisional in 04′. you’ll have to give me more info on what your looking for

fluff47
    NE Nebraska

Wade
    There’s plenty of Smallies above Verdel. All depends on the water as to where they’ll be. The ones I found had probably been looking for a place to spawn back off the current but, with low water, were sucked back out of those places to find enough water. Anyplace that had good water close to where they might want to spawn is where I found them last weekend. Two weeks from now that may all change if the flooding down south stops and they start running some water again.

One of the things I like about the river. No matter how many time I fish it there’s always something new.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I was going to say something similar to fluff. Doesn’t really matter where you find them up that way. It will probably all be different in 2 weeks. River changes very quickly there…time of year doesn’t really matter either.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I’m pretty sure I’ll hit that area in 2 weeks. I’ll let you guys know how it goes.

fluff47
    NE Nebraska

Wade

You should have a good time If the numbers I caught were any sign. From the talk at the Blue Moon they thought fish’n had shut down sense they turned off the water. I thought it was great the way it was so if more water improves it you’d better pack bandaids for your thumb…

I’ve got a tournament at Brushy Creek IA this weekend, family fishing Memorial weekend, and the SD Open at Fort Randall after that. Wont make it back to the river till mid June. NE has their Open there the end of that month, our club fishes it in July, and Creighton has their jackpot after that. Might take time out to fish Sioux City in August below Yankton but after winning State this year and with NE hosting Divisional in 2008 up above, I’ll spend every chance I get up there till next year.

Sounds like you’re into the walleye below Gavins more but if you run into a bass hot spot I’d sure be interested. Never know when the least little tip will put you in the right place at the right time.

Thanks, Fluff

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Thanks Fluff! I’ll be doing some smallie fishing below the dam as well. Jason Cyboron and I will be fishing the Missouri River Open in August as well. Looks like we’ll see you there.

fluff47
    NE Nebraska

Jason gave me a couple pointers last year before I had a club tournament at Mozingo. Never met him but was thankfull for the help. Looks like he wont be pass’n on any pointers for Sioux City this summer I’ll have to look you guys up if we get there.

We haven’t sent the entry for that one yet. Seems like we’re stuck at 5th place so figured to see if we could locate a limit of 3 pounders before we try it again. With $4/gal gas, a 150mi run at 5mi/gal, plus all the practice it takes learning to run it and find fish???? Well, we figure we’d better do better than 5th this year or forget it. We’ll prefish a little and probably wait till the last minute before we decide to enter. This high-priced gas is starting to take some of the fun out of big trips with long runs to fish in them. Here’s hope’n we find enough big’uns to think we’ve got a shot at winning. Those guys at Sioux City put on a great tournament.

Fluff

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

$88.50 to fill up the truck Friday. I hope nobody saw me crying.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.