Missouri River Gavin’s Point Lewis & Clark Lake

• wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Missouri River Gavin’s Point Lewis & Clark Lake

Just checking to see if anyone else on the site fishes this area. I plan to hit the river a few times in March if the weather holds. Might even head up toward Verdel. Anybody else? I have an open seat from time to time.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Yeah, I fish this area. I was waiting to register until I saw someone posting for this area.

The water is low on the river, so you better have a boat that can maneuver shallow water. Lake still has ice as far as I know. Haven’t seen too many boats right below the damn yet.

jd

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

JD,

Thanks for the reply. My boat is not the best for low water conditions. It’s a Lund Explorer with a 90HP Merc. We can’t get on the river at Sioux City yet; too much mud at the ramp. I’ll probably hit the tailwaters at Gavin’s Point soon. Is the ramp okay up there?

What town are you near in NE? My father has a small cabin on the river near Obert/Sportsmans/Goat Island.

Welcome to In-Depth Angling!

gary_wellman
    South Metro

JD!!!!!

Welcome to the IDA!!!!

I got a TON of family in NE Nebraska. My father grew up by Humphreys in Plate county. My grandfather was a cattle guy down there.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I can check what condition the ramp is in, but the one on the NE side is usually pretty good. I’ll be up that way tomorrow, so if I have time I’ll run out there to see for sure.

I doubt I can get my boat down river right now either, but my dad has a “pop can” that we use for these situations.

As far as the cabin, I know that area pretty well. Basically grew up there (up the river from Sportsman’s)

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Gary,

I’m a little farther North than Humphrey. Closer to the river and lake.

Thanks for the welcome.

JD

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

JD, much appreciated. Hopefully we can see a few fish pics! Good luck!

BTW, if you ever want to share a ride give me a holler. I’m looking to hit the dam more this year.

Wade

jd318
    NE Nebraska

The ramp on the NE side right below the dam is fine. There was one guy just putting the boat in and there was an empty trailer there also. I would assume he went down river because there were no boats below the dam. Two guys fishing off the wall.

JD

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Awesome! Thanks JD!

I can’t wait!

jd318
    NE Nebraska

Talked to another guy Saturday night. He said there have been quite a few boats right below dam on weekends, but everything is small, small, small.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

I wonder if it would be worth trying from shore below the dam… I hate to pull my boat all the way up there and not be able to fish because the water’s too low. Might go check it out this weekend if the weather is okay.

kooty
    Keymaster
    1 hour 15 mins to the Pond

Wade,

My buddy got his 619 in below the dam just a few weeks ago, so I’m sure you can get the boat in there.

jd318
    NE Nebraska

I’m sure you’ll be able to put the boat in and fish below the dam. Just don’t know how far down from the ramp you’ll be able to go/maneuver to fish.

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

Sounds good to me. I think I’ll get ‘er out of storage this weekend and give it a run if the weather cooperates. If not, I may hit some local crappie holes here. I’ve got to get some fishing in soon!

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Wade, did you make it fishing last year? Any catfish???

wade_kuehl
    Northwest Iowa

BK,

I did some smallie fishing on the river near the Sportsmans area. I also got into a few cat here and there. Nothing to write home about though. I spent too much time working and not enough fishing last year. We’ll see how it goes this year. If they’d raise the river I could get my boat in right here in Sioux City but as it is the ramps are a no go.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.