MinnKota’s New Quest Series TM’s? Worth it?

• JoeMX1825
    MN

I’m looking to replace my 2013 80 lb Terrova with a new model. I like the simplicity of the Terrova, but the auto stow & deploy & trim of the Ulterra sounds really nice.

For those who’ve owned both, what’s your opinion/prefernce?

Lastly, what are the real world benefits of the new Quest series? Does brushless = fewer water leaking into the lower unit issues? I do NOT use complicated sonar at the bow of my boat, just US/2 on a Helix 5 for depth control, so wireless networking is a waste for my fishing style as is iPilot Link.(I run a separate livescope shuttle up front)

Appreciate any real world feedback!

OG Net_Man

Had Terrova, switched boats and went to Ulterra. Switched boats again and went back to Terrova and now greatly miss my Ulterra. This last change of boats was several months before the Quest was available. I guess I was thinking to buy the lower cost Terrova and then upgrade to a Quest when available.

With my style of fishing I would surely go back to the Ulterra. I seem to have a tendency to move frequently and I hate going up to the bow all of the time to raise and lower the trolling motor.

Never experienced a issue with water leaking and have no knowledge of this with one or the other version.

If you had the pre-Quest version and using lead batteries then you have such and such run time. If you go with the Quest and use lead batteries you will improve run time. If you have a Quest and go with lithium you will have even a greater run time.

However, the Quest is expensive. You could just add lithium to the older style motor and be approx. the same run time as the Quest with lead batteries and this will cost less than upgrading to a Quest.

I believe the Quest will also boost thrust a bit but generally more run time is the desired improvement.

You potentially will encounter more problems with the Ulterra then the Terrova due to the auto stow and deploy. Even with the chance of additional problems I would still go with the Ulterra. However if you do not stow and deploy multiple times per hour then maybe you would not appreciate this feature as much as I.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

I have the ultrex quest. Not a lot of time with it yet, but literally every feature is improved so far as I can tell. Better build, quieter, faster turning, more powerful, less battery drain, better ipilot. All of that has been true for me. Put lithium batteries on it (I went with LiTime 100ah TM batteries because of the price point) and you will be a very happy camper.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

I’m looking to replace my 2013 80 lb Terrova with a new model. I like the simplicity of the Terrova, but the auto stow & deploy & trim of the Ulterra sounds really nice.

I’ve had an “Auto Pilot” white top, Terrova, Terrova Link, Ulterra Link and now my Ulterra Quest is in the box in my garage.

What I like is the heaver build, redesigned transport system for stow and deploy. I never had an issue with water per say, I had one issue early on that was in to the authorized service center and he noted moisture and reassembled it to stop it from happening.
    The quest series is quicker and more responsive. Dule voltage, 24 or 36 it will sense what it is being fed. I believe if you have a 36v system and one battery goes down, it will not switch over. You will need to unhook the bad battery and then it will proceed to the 24v.

There are other advantages with the new motor too. The disadvantage is the price! Mine is the 36v 72″ msidi @ $4500. Second with the Ulterra 36v is the new $5oo. quick release bracket that is suggested to mount under it!

This will be my last new buy.

TillrLife
    Cold Spring, MN

My last boat had a Terrova on it with the lift assist. My current boat has an Ulterra on it.

Both motors where/have been great and flaw free, knock on wood.

I will not consider going back to a Terrova unless it was basically given to me. I run a tiller and the Ulterra’s stow and deploy is awesome. Even better with small kids in the boat; as I don’t have to jump, skip or trip over all the crap they have scattered around in the bow.

I do not have any experience with the new Quest models.

ssaamm
    Pequot Lakes

Mine goes on next week. I have a 360 and lives scope. Been through 3 pull cables breaking on my original Ultrexx. Terrible feeling as you fly through the air. The lift assist is supposed to be better. We will see.

Karry Kyllo

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>JoeMX1825 wrote:</div>

I’ve had an “Auto Pilot” white top, Terrova, Terrova Link, Ulterra Link and now my Ulterra Quest is in the box in my garage.

What I like is the heaver build, redesigned transport system for stow and deploy. I never had an issue with water per say, I had one issue early on that was in to the authorized service center and he noted moisture and reassembled it to stop it from happening.
    The quest series is quicker and more responsive. Dule voltage, 24 or 36 it will sense what it is being fed. I believe if you have a 36v system and one battery goes down, it will not switch over. You will need to unhook the bad battery and then it will proceed to the 24v.

There are other advantages with the new motor too. The disadvantage is the price! Mine is the 36v 72″ msidi @ $4500. Second with the Ulterra 36v is the new $5oo. quick release bracket that is suggested to mount under it!

This will be my last new buy.

They are definitely pricey but I bought the same Ulterra Quest. I haven’t installed it yet either. I found a quick release bracket for a bit over $300.
    I’ve had a 112 lb. thrust with a 72″ shaft Ulterra and i-Pilot Link for several years and have loved it but decided to upgrade. By the way, it’s for sale if anyone’s interested.

nord

ssaamm, The lift assist is much-much better. You will like it.

Don Meier
    Butternut Wisconsin

I ended up getting the Ulterra from Scheels 2 grand . Looked at the Quest alot heavier unit and a lot more money . One benefit with running lithium batteries is the Quest can handle sustained wide open power , the regular Ulterra is not to be run at more than 85 percent for extended periods . They were burning out armatures using lithiums . It was happening in Europe where people were using the trolling motor as sole source of propulsion .

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.