Mille Lacs Update

• Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

I was able to make it out on Mille Lacs last weekend and just posted a full update in the reports section… BLUF (bottom line up front) fishing was very very solid and I can’t wait to get back up over the holidays!

Will

PS – Keepers do exist and with a slot from 20-22″ it actually did feed my family!

Attachments:
    1. Fish-Pic-3-1.jpg

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

Thanks Will! I read your full report, very nicely done.

What is BLUF (bottom line up front)? And can you share what depths you were targeting?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

BLUF is a military term meaning to summarize a report in one sentence.

Our best depths were between 18-22′ in the mornings and evenings and sliding out a little deeper from the shoreline breaks during the day.

Will

arcticm1000
    New Richmond, WI

Thanks for putting up a report Will. Sounds like a fun time. I am looking forward to getting up there soon. Sounds like the new show this Sunday will be similar to your report.

lindyrig79
    Forest Lake / Lake Mille Lacs

BLUF is a military term meaning to summarize a report in one sentence.

Oh that is funny – I was thinking it was a new fishing technique I hadn’t heard of before. (having a lower depth line out in front or something) Ha ha, my bad smash Thanks!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

A buddy and I made it up last Friday 12/22 and, after working out a few first trip kinks, were ripping lips in no time. Ended the day with about 15 eye’s ranging from 12″-26″ with one “keeper” 20.5″ and a nice, elusive, yet still catchable 12.5″ jumbo perch. We were marking pretty much all day, which I believe were mainly smaller perch, but we didn’t land any to confirm. Caught fish on a variety of jigs, with gold catching the most. Only one eye on tip-ups, which were run w/ medium suckers or shiners. Highlight of the day was having a mark chase me up and down about 8 feet before biting, it shook the hook after a brief fight. Assuming it was a Tullie or Perch I reeled up to see if it stole my minnow head, which it didn’t so I dropped back down and it hit about 3 feet under the ice! Turned out to be a nice 16″ eye. All the fish looked very well fed. Also, almost all of our fish were caught in the AM before a small front moved in and the bottom dropped out of the thermometer Friday night.

Eelpoutguy
    Farmington, Outing

Werm, how much Ice?
    I drove by around 2pm this afternoon and noticed quite a few houses on Garrison and Wigwam with no vehicles on the ice.
    Saw vehicles on the ice between Eddy’s and Rocky Reef.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Werm, how much Ice?
    I drove by around 2pm this afternoon and noticed quite a few houses on Garrison and Wigwam with no vehicles on the ice.
    Saw vehicles on the ice between Eddy’s and Rocky Reef.

Bigwerm does not say where he went from or how he got out there, but no matter…this is what matters, “after working out a few first trip kinks, were ripping lips in no time.”

No surprise you did not see any vehicles off the west side. I walked out north of Garrison Sunday evening and drilled through not much more than 6″ of ice. shock

I did not catch a walleye but my trip was a resounding success in that I did not fall through or collapse from a heart attack dragging the whole operation out there.

I celebrated later that night in front of the fire with beer in hand…that I lived another day to try again. toast

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

I’m seeing a fresh report of 11″ today out of red door on the ice report app.

I had 9″ two Saturdays ago out of castaways.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Werm, how much Ice?

We were on the North end and there was 6-10” with 8 being the most common. We walked out, and will be adding a fitness plan to next offseason ;-). Oh and a stop by Andy’s for some refreshments on the way out of town too!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Here’s some pics, it was a little brisk until we setup the house.

Attachments:
    1. 727455E1-E1FF-4B7B-A0ED-03C7DBB70B9F.jpeg

2. C4F1A377-428E-4E05-9B32-42E375AA390D.jpeg

3. 89E706C6-356C-4CFD-9ECF-0584FAC6E064.jpeg

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

Awesome report Kory! Sounds like a blast. We will be heading up to PR over New Years if you happen to be around.

I actually love trips walking out, perhaps because it’s easier to stay away from crowds if I’m willing to walk farther than the next guy. Even if it’s only for 1 or two trips a year everyone should build themselves a shmitty sled.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Awesome report Kory! Sounds like a blast. We will be heading up to PR over New Years if you happen to be around.

I actually love trips walking out, perhaps because it’s easier to stay away from crowds if I’m willing to walk farther than the next guy. Even if it’s only for 1 or two trips a year everyone should build themselves a shmitty sled.

It was a great time! I’ll be at the Vikes game on New Years eve, which is a decent alternative to being up north I guess. I agree about walking out, we found a nice out of the way spot that has produced each time up last year and now this year with nobody nearby. My Nanook is on some homemade hifax that are about 3″ thick which make it a breeze to pull through the snow, I’m just really out of shape right now. I’ll blame the new shoulder and baby… rotflol

Kyle Wills

Hey Guys,

Anybody have an ice report for Vineland Bay? My cousin is in town from Montana and tomorrow we are heading up and want to do some tip ups for Pike.

Any report, whether its ice or recommended areas to tip up for Pike would be great. I’ve never done tip ups on Mille Lacs for pike. Looking to show him a good time on Mille Lacs.

Thanks!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

Anybody have an ice report for Vineland Bay?

Sorry we were on the other end of the lake. I do know that the creek from Ogechie Lake usually stays open, so I’d stay away from that area. I’d imagine if you can find a weedline further out in the bay you would put some northerns topside.

Kyle Wills

In general, what depth range is the weedline in Mille Lacs?

Will Roseberg
    Hanover, MN

In general, what depth range is the weedline in Mille Lacs?

In general 12-14′ with some variation in different parts of the lake. I would set up anywhere between 8- 14′ for pike and keep your baits at least 2-3′ up off bottom.

Kyle Wills

In general 12-14′ with some variation in different parts of the lake. I would set up anywhere between 8- 14′ for <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>pike and keep your baits at least 2-3′ up off bottom.
    [/quote]

Thanks Mr. Roseberg!

Another question. Has anyone been out by Big Point, or 2 1/2 or 3 mile bars?

Brian G
    Independence, MN

We’ve been going out of Jerry Brandt’s on the south side. He’s got road opened to 1/2 ton pickups out to first break with a good number of rentals out. Fishing has been pretty decent.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.