Mille Lacs Smallmouth

• Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I guarantee that no one on here can tell smallmouth from walleye on the table. I’ve done taste tests using catfish and walleye and of the dozen or so walleye snobs to accept the challenge zero have passed. Many favored the catfish.

In my opinion smallmouth is much, much more difficult to distinguish from a walleye. I can for sure tell the difference between <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>catfish and walleye….It’s pretty easy…but smallmouth? I doubt it.

$100 challenge? Ten pieces of fish numbered on ten different paper plates. One is smallmouth, one is walleye. I’ll even make it easier for you by giving you one. So all you have to do is get 9 out of 10. Bring a buddy and he can watch me fry up walleye in one pan, smallmouth in the other, he can write the answer key as to which is which, and I’ll trust him to not do any funny business like sending him signals….might have him watch behind a curtain or something to ensure that I’m not switching fish pieces prior to his buddy eating them.

I have no doubts about anyone failing so I’m not worried. Hell, if we can get five people to pony up a hundred bucks I’d do up to five, have five Benjamins ready to be shilled out in case I somehow lose, and I’d be willing to do more but after five it’s too much stuff to set up logistically and keep straight so I’ll cap it at five but might do more than one session since I like money. You have no chance. Fish will be breaded using original shorelunch and fried. About as standard as it gets so if smallmouth is so inferior then I’m sure I’ll have a bunch of takers?

This would take place near Garrison on a Saturday.

Who wants to step up and put their money where their mouth is? Who has a hundred bucks to lose?! Step right up! Step right up!

In your previous life did you get paid by the word to write?

joneser
    Inactive

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>joneser wrote:</div>
    $100 challenge? Ten pieces of fish numbered on ten different paper plates. One is smallmouth, one is walleye.

Fish will be breaded using original shorelunch and fried. About as standard as it gets so if smallmouth is so inferior then I’m sure I’ll have a bunch of takers?

This would take place near Garrison on a Saturday.

Who wants to step up and put their money where their mouth is? Who has a hundred bucks to lose?! Step right up! Step right up!

Sure…”I’m your huckleberry”

How about next Saturday? I’m near Garrison, so what time?

Of course I’ll first need to see the smallmouth (in the whole)…and the walleye too before you fillet them.

Just trotting out a couple baggies of fillets for this contest is potentially “rigged” before it even gets started.

Up to you how you’re gonna bring that whole smallie to our little “betting” table. razz

Skin on the filet fine? That’d be the easiest. You can look them over and inspect them….I won’t even require you to wash your hands since you’re the one eating them, not me. Make sure to have a buddy lined up to watch me once you’ve approved the legitimacy of the filets. I’m not worried so whatever you need to do in order to ensure there’s no disputing the results as the results let me know. If you want your buddy to film fileting the skin off, separating them into two bowls, frying them in two pans, prior to him writing down the answer key as I place them on the plates…fine by me. As long as none of it goes online without my permission. I’d rather not look like a goof standing and frying fish, or some meme made if I lose the bet. I’d rather just shake hands, hand over the hundred bucks, and congratulate you on the win….a friendly amount of poop I’ll be fine with I just don’t want either you or me being salty if it gets carried away. It sounds like we’re both confident going in, but one of us has to lose.

Kudos to you for manning up, you’ve earned a fair amount of respect for that alone. This coming Saturday should work but I’m not 100% yet. If not this week either of the following Saturdays shouldn’t be a problem. Any time between 11am and 5pm works for me, what time ya thinking? That way it won’t mess up morning or evening for any hunting or fishing plans. I’d be down to do it after 9pm with some beers or cocktails too. Realistically, I’ll be drinking beer during the earlier hours too so BYOB.

joneser
    Inactive

In your previous life did you get paid by the word to write?

Typically websites/forums encourage and try to foster free content contributions and creation. I’m not sure why so much flack is given here when someone takes the time to write what they’re hoping will be some quality content. Is there a rule somewhere I missed that states I have to respond in three sentences or less? It’s kind of hard to do that when being thorough enough to list the Latin names of the stuff I’m killing some time and enjoying giving my take on.

You’re entitled to think my content is crap if you want and tune out. I hope my intentions are clear that’s not what I’m trying to offer but sometimes crap produces itself.

Guys are weighing in on smallmouth as tablefare and I’m weighing in on that topic and trying to organize an independent taste test in addition to it. Which response do you think is inherently going to take a higher word count?

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Take 300 words or 3,000 words, I only read until the subject matter starts to bore me.

joneser
    Inactive

Weird, seems like going out of your way to comment on it would necessitate in you being interested and engaged.

You know what comments I’ll make about stuff that bores me?

None.

Who quotes and comments on something that bores them?

A liar apparently.

“Yeah, I totally don’t care at all about what this guy writes because I think it’s boring….and because I don’t care that means naturally I’ll obsess about it by quoting what was written in it’s entirety and then make a point of telling them what I think about it.”

Got it. Makes perfect sense. coffee

joneser
    Inactive

Any issues with the filets looking like this in order for you to verify there won’t be any funny business Andy?

Obviously the skin will come off after you look them over with whoever you bring watching me do that and separate them. I’ll cut the remaining bones out and chunk it into pieces that’ll be an inch to couple inches squared.

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20200927-160308_Gallery.jpg

2. Screenshot_20200927-160214_Gallery.jpg

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Any issues with the filets looking like this in order for you to verify there won’t be any funny business Andy?

joneser, joneser, joneser…. doah

Your whole proposal is funny business.

I interpreted your offer as a mere jocose, whimsical attempt for our online amusement…a satirical story.

And apparently I may have miscalculated your perception in not picking up on my challenge comment as only a light hearted “lampoon” to play along.

I’ll know in the future to follow my “dark humor” with… jester

We can still play…virtually. Cook up those fillets, post pics and we can blindfold ourselves and choose which is which. blush

jester

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Well for starters, smallmouth bass harvest is closed as of September 13 so if you intend to follow through with a fresh filet taste taste that would be called poaching.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Well for starters, smallmouth bass harvest is closed as of September 13 so if you intend to follow through with a fresh filet taste taste that would be called poaching.

lol roll

Uh ya wave , that was a major piece of my “lampooning”, which apparently was missed by both you and the joneser… whistling

I should’ve demanded a fresh Mille Lacs walleye too, perhaps that’d taken the seriousness of all this to a stratospheric insouciance… blush

jester

chuck100
    Platteville,Wi.

joneser if you want to eat smallies have at it.I don’t think you need to get defensive just because someone else does’nt like them.
    I can’t stand catfish if someone takes offense to it,oh well just my opinion.I damn shore won’t take them up on a taste test,there not worth a hundred to me.MY OPINION.

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Took my son and a buddy and his son up today on west side. They had an absolute blast. Size and numbers are insane once you find them. Needless to say, kids are hooked on fall smallie fishing

Attachments:
    1. C68B776C-383D-4790-940A-CF2F5E1FBF38.jpeg

2. 63A437D1-8279-490E-A89A-97DBF41CB686.jpeg

3. F75ADA06-9326-438D-9B4A-5B4574860EF7.jpeg

4. A36B8531-99A6-4A63-B293-9412506C6079.jpeg

5. 4CBE1804-40C2-40DD-878D-429758639A27.jpeg

Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.