Mille Lacs Smallmouth

• Rick Janssen

Hey all – I have a few days of vacation I need to use up and I am thinking of heading to Mille Lacs to fish for smallmouth on Friday (Sept 11) and then hit some other lakes in the area for a few days. I am just wondering what the smallmouth bit is like on the South end lately? Any advice will be helpful since I only plan on a day there. Thanks in advance.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Last weekend. But I dont fish the south side.
    2 guys over q 100 fish day. Fished from 8am to 3

Attachments:
    1. 20200829_082401.jpg

2. 20200829_163117.jpg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

the bite is only getting better.

Rick Janssen

Wow – those are nice – what part of the lake are you fishing

Thanks for all the replies guys – I hope the weather will cooperate with me on Friday.

john23
    St. Paul, MN

Last weekend. But I dont fish the south side.
    2 guys over q 100 fish day. Fished from 8am to 3

100 fish day is awesome. What were they biting and at what depths?

Walleye Hungry

I am a big walleye guy and have a buddy that hates it but loves the smallmouth. We have tentative plans on heading up there for a day trip this weekend to put me on some big walleyes (dont need numbers) and him on numbers (dont need size) of smallmouth. I can only hope our day turns out as successful as yours. Nice catch Bearcat! Keep on em!

Jake Jacobs

We have been doing well in the 10-15′ depth. Best so far this year is 22.5″. This one is 21.75″.

Attachments:
    1. Smallie-21.75-1.jpg

2. Smallie-21.75.jpg

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Bearcat / Jake

Are these fish coming on live bait? If so, what kind of live bait. I have been wanting to get up to Mille Lacs in the fall and try the whole large sucker minnow thing but have no idea of how or where to start. If you are using live bait can you share a little info. on the setup you are using?

BigWerm
    SW Metro

. If you are using live bait can you share a little info. on the setup you are using?

I haven’t done it this year yet but it’s usually just a large sucker minnow, bullet sinker and wide gap hook on a 3ish foot snell.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Just a reminder that harvest of smallmouth bass ends on Sunday, Sept 13. I don’t know if anyone is specifically keeping them but its worth mentioning just in case.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

Good reminder – Even though I don’t pan on keeping any of them. For those using live sucker minnow’s – what style hooks are you using? Do you set the hook right away when the fish picks up the bait or wait a little? How often do you end up deep hooking fish when fishing sucker minnows?

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

As soon as you feel the thump take them. If you miss it it was probably a walleye. Buddy of mine who’s a pro recommended that

Ripjiggen

Good reminder – Even though I don’t pan on keeping any of them. For those using live sucker minnow’s – what style hooks are you using? Do you set the hook right away when the fish picks up the bait or wait a little? How often do you end up deep hooking fish when fishing sucker minnows?

I do not give any line for that reason usually just the rod tip if needed. Sometimes the grab it and take off and all you can do is hold on. If you sweep and miss drop back more times than not they will hit it again. I upsize my hooks. Other than that it is simple walleye lindy rig set up. Most style weights will work most length leaders will work just have to experiment with that and all are kind of depth dependent.

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I fish GBay in the fall with suckers and chubs. I use a 2/0 Kahle hook. I run a 3 way set up with pencil weights because of zeb’s.

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

Just a reminder that harvest of smallmouth bass ends on Sunday, Sept 13. I don’t know if anyone is specifically keeping them but its worth mentioning just in case.

Can you still target smallies if harvest season is closed now?

Greenhorn
    Bismarck, ND

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Yes, but catch and release only until everything closes in Feb.

Jake Jacobs

Hooks … I prefer a Gamakatzu 2/0 wide gap. I don’t give any line either, only the rod length and hold until they hook themselves.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Bass will stay fairly active until the water drops below 50 degrees. Once it drops below that, it becomes a lot more difficult as their metabolism slows to a crawl and they go into a bit of a hibernative state. You could still catch them below 50 but you’ll notice a steep drop off in activity level. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen for another couple months!

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>canoebasser wrote:</div>

Bass will stay fairly active until the water drops below 50 degrees. Once it drops below that, it becomes a lot more difficult as their metabolism slows to a crawl and they go into a bit of a hibernative state. You could still catch them below 50 but you’ll notice a steep drop off in activity level. Let’s hope that doesn’t happen for another couple months!

It was 62 yesterday

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>

Yes, but catch and release only until everything closes in Feb.

Just contacted DNR and they said you can’t fish/target smallmouths. Season is over as of Sept 13, 2020.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Just contacted DNR and they said you can’t fish/target smallmouths. Season is over as of Sept 13, 2020.

That’s not what the regulations say. If what you say is true, then the DNR is contradicting their rules on page 23 of the fishing regulations. Bass regulations are little different specifically on Mille Lacs in terms of keeping one but the season is the same as the statewide regulations.

Smallmouth bass—Statewide(except Northeast Zone)
    May 9 – 22 Catch-and-release only
    May 23 – Sept. 13 6 combined total largemouth or smallmouth bass
    Sept. 14, 2020 – Feb. 28, 2021 Catch-and-release only

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Yet another agency embarrassment if in fact an official DNR agent is providing this conflicting information. doah

Deuces

Yet another agency embarrassment if in fact an official DNR agent is providing this conflicting information. doah

#DefundtheDNR

slawrenz
    Twin Cities

I agree with Andy. The regulations clearly state that the harvest is over, not the season.

“Smallmouth and Largemouth Bass: Beginning May 9, 2020 through May 22, 2020, all bass must be immediately released. Beginning May 23, 2020, all bass greater than 17 inches must be immediately released. Limit of three in combination. Smallmouth harvest ends Sunday, Sept. 13. Largemouth harvest ends Sunday, Feb. 28, 2021.”

https://www.dnr.state.mn.us/fishing/millelacs.html

canoebasser
    St. Paul, MN

MN_Info (DNR)
    11:16 AM (2 hours ago)
    to me

Good morning Dan,

Thank you for contacting the Minnesota DNR.

No you cannot target a species out of season. You can still fish for largemouth bass as that season goes until Feb 28 2021, if you accidently catch a small mouth just throw it back, but you cannot be actively trying to catch small mouth. If you continue to catch small mouth, we recommend moving to a different fishing spot.

Please feel free to contact us if you have further questions either by email or by calling 888-646-6367 M-F 8:00 am-6:00 pm and on Saturday 8:00 am-4:30 pm.

Have a great day!

Carey Ann

Information Consultant – Office of Communication and Outreach

Minnesota Department of Natural Resources

500 Lafayette Road

St. Paul, MN 55155

Phone: 888-646-6367

Fax: 651-297-3618

Email: [email protected]

mndnr.gov

Bass Thumb
    Royalton, MN

LOL doah

Back to the mailroom for Carey Ann!

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 71 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.