walleyes

• Cheboygan

My friends and I go fishing in the cheboygan river. We do most of our walleye fishing at night trolling Husky jerk rapalas. we catch most of our fish post spawn because we don’t have a trolling motor so it’s hard to jig the deeper water. do any of you guys have any suggestion on how to fish the deeper water for prespawn without a trolling motor? Have you ever had any luck trolling deeper crank baits during the prespawn season?

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

You could anchor on the upper end of the pool and cast jigs into the deep water. Fish the jig back to the boat keeping the jig a few inches off the bottom. It all depends on the depth and current as to the wieght of the jig. You will probally have to experiment a bit. A good jig for this application is the draggin jig by bfishn tackle. Hopefully this helps, Dan.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

Quote:

My friends and I go fishing in the cheboygan river. We do most of our walleye fishing at night trolling Husky jerk rapalas. we catch most of our fish post spawn because we don’t have a trolling motor so it’s hard to jig the deeper water. do any of you guys have any suggestion on how to fish the deeper water for prespawn without a trolling motor? Have you ever had any luck trolling deeper crank baits during the prespawn season?

Is this in Northern part of the lower peninsula of Michigan?

FDR

Cheboygan

Yes ths is in the northern lower. We have tried to anchor at the top of the basin but there is alot of boat traffic. not fisherman but ferrys so its hard to stay there during the day. what colors would you suggest for jigging at night. would you try to tip the jig with a minnow or a grubtail? we have talked to alot of guys that do pretty well but they all say the bite sops in the deeper water at night what do you think we should try to trigger a night bite jigging? thank you for the great replys!

mbenson
    Minocqua, Wisconsin

I would try to work my way to the nearest shallow water closest to the deep water of choice. Not familiar with the area, but that would be my strategy for this time of year.

Color, I wouldn’t be so worried about it at all. Experiment, if the water is dark work with chartruese or orange, if it is clearer, then try the blues, purples, blacks, greens, red, etc. I would be worried about size of jig and speed it is presented first, then color.

Mark

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.